Stratford

Scores, live updates, discussion etc. on Yeltz matches
fairweatherfan
Yeltz Forum Member

Re: Stratford

Post by fairweatherfan » 29 Sep 2024, 17:28

piearce9 wrote:
29 Sep 2024, 15:18
The result stung yesterday, primarily because the Stratford players are the most insufferable bunch of <insert highly offensive word here> imaginable.

We invited late pressure on Tuesday, and got away with it, but it bit us on the back side yesterday.

I’m also disappointed as we made so much progress last week and felt like we’d turned a corner after Hitchin. At this rate it could be a stop-start season, just like last season. The difference this time is that all teams in this league are in the same boat.

But after my comments about Yussef on here last week - I do have to doff my cap to the club for getting Ponticelli in. He looks perfect for us and was co-ordinating the front line from the moment he stepped on the pitch. I’m probably about to put the kiss of death on him but he looks like he could make all the difference.

So no need for doom and gloom. The club keep doing the right thing and, if Penn can get this group ticking, it could well be a good season.
While I absolutely agree with the main thrust of this, blimey, we’re hard to watch at the moment.

Simons
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by Simons » 29 Sep 2024, 18:33

Lack of squad depth is problem. It all seemed to go wrong when Smile went off, having to move Cassidy into midfield as no other midfield player available. Injuries and suspensions could be an issue. I think both Hickman and Donnelly are on 4 bookings

piearce9
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by piearce9 » 29 Sep 2024, 19:59

Well we need a spare/rotationy centre back, assuming we continue with three at the back. We might be a midfielder light too, but then with Flanagan to come back that might be OK. And lastly I’d rather have another spare centre forward and cast off Yussef, but this is all tweaking at the edges.

I don’t know why he took off Smile and moved Cassidy over - was Smile injured or something? I thought it’d be a straight swap Mitchell for Cassidy at wing back?

DJ
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by DJ » 29 Sep 2024, 21:45

4.40 pm on Saturday - top of the table with a negative goal difference:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

drummyb
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by drummyb » 29 Sep 2024, 22:38

Still a couple of weeks til mid October!! At the moment its all a bit unsettled. Teams have games in hand.
I think a lot of it comes down to expectation, and to some degree, I agree with Yeltzbaby; we win everyones happy, lose and the stormclouds gather.
I beleive its the style of play and seemingly shortcomings in the team/squad that concern most people.

It was glaringly obvious that we needed a change in direction last season. I just think its far too soon to say IF its the wrong one. Im confident we wont be relegated (cant believe Im even mentioning it), but folks calling for the managers head is ridiculous so soon.
Having said that, there has to be a change in the style of play. We keep the ball on the deck, and we can play good football. There are a few positions that we appear to be lacking in, and Penn has to be given time to address that. If he doesnt then I think its fair to think that we arent going to move forward. He's bought a striker in. Its not unreasonable to think he wont bring more players. I do think that we lost the core of the team and as yet, dont look to have replaced them.

Noggin
Global Moderator

Post by Noggin » 30 Sep 2024, 10:07

piearce9 wrote:
29 Sep 2024, 19:59
Well we need a spare/rotationy centre back, assuming we continue with three at the back.....
According to the Southern League site, Tom Taylor is still registered to us https://southern-football-league.co.uk/ ... /Position/