Euro 2020

Anything else goes in here...
andy
Yeltz Forum Member

Euro 2020

Post by andy » 11 Jun 2021, 10:46

Well 21. So here we go again. The runners and riders are ready but who will fall at the first. Who will still be there on the home straight.
England.
Who'd have thought in 1996 that the Lightning Seeds would be on their twelfth remake of 3 Lions to accommodate 55 years of hurt? I fear it will be back to the studio again for them. I know the recent friendlies hardly contained any of the expected starting line up but we looked what we probably are. Average. When we put all our hopes on an admittedly decent player, who may not even get in the side, and when he does he spends most of the time on his backside waving his arms in the air, it doesn't bode well. Plenty beer drunk, plenty tears. Quarter Finals.
Wales
Sorry Owen, that horse has bolted. Great tournament last time but a step too far for any repeat. Might get out the group as virtually everybody does.
Scotland
Does anybody this side of Corby even care? Well ok, Macca. One. As Sturgeon tries to drag them away from being the 4th best team in UK to cementing themselves in Mainland Europe's top 50, we will wave them goodbye at the first fence. I suppose qualifying keeps them slightly ahead of other European powerhouses Lichtenstein and Andorra.
The Rest
Most unusual that we are not talking about Spain/Germany/Italy as much as we usually do, I'm sure people in those countries will know how good they still are I guess, but it appears they are not centre stage this time. Maybe Sean or Frank could give a heads up on the only recently untouchable Spain? Quite how UEFA managed to squeeze the World Champions, the European Champions and Germany into the same group is amazing considering the ridiculous lengths they usually go to to keep big teams apart, but one could definitely go home early now. Belgium with a wind behind them have the quality to go all the way, but France and Portugal probably top the bill in every respect, with in my opinion France looking like the team to beat. Quality in every position and some massive match winners.
So there we have it, a North Macedonia, Scotland final...

How does everybody else see it going?
Proud owner of FOUR Georges O0 O0 O0 O0

andy
Yeltz Forum Member

Re: Euro 2020

Post by andy » 11 Jun 2021, 22:11

Italy. Wow!

pantverdant2
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by pantverdant2 » 12 Jun 2021, 01:44

Turkey played a weakened team against Italy,beware the greyhound that
comes out of the traps quickly over the longer distances,I fear for Wales
or Switzerland one or both may fail to qualify.

pantverdant2
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by pantverdant2 » 12 Jun 2021, 01:50

You'll be cheering when our Brummie Jack comes on as sub and buys a vital penalty!! O0

pantverdant2
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by pantverdant2 » 12 Jun 2021, 01:55

Beware Croatia!!Never underestimate a team with six of the side that reached a World Cup Final.

andy
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by andy » 12 Jun 2021, 12:16

pantverdant2 wrote:
12 Jun 2021, 01:44
Turkey played a weakened team against Italy,beware the greyhound that
comes out of the traps quickly over the longer distances,I fear for Wales
or Switzerland one or both may fail to qualify.
I've never ever seen Italy come out of the traps like that in any competition. They normally cheese off their whole nation with a couple of slow paced ground out results, and then ramp it up to look like potential winners. Every time. That last night though was mighty impressive, keep that up and they could go all the way.

andy
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by andy » 12 Jun 2021, 12:18

pantverdant2 wrote:
12 Jun 2021, 01:50
You'll be cheering when our Brummie Jack comes on as sub and buys a vital penalty!! O0
True. But what a crap solution we would be putting our hopes on if that were the case.

pantverdant2
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by pantverdant2 » 12 Jun 2021, 12:39

'Crap solution' has been the bedrock of the plumbing at Villa Park for years,and we have frequently planned our football in
the same way both at club and national level similarly,maybe just maybe things are changing internationally, but then Wales
have to play Turkey in the stifling heat of an Azerbaijani afternoon and the next World Cup is in Qatar in the middle of
Winter in disposable stadiums that have cost the lives of hundreds of Bangladeshi builders and you realise the C**p has
hit the Fan at the Southern League,the National League,the Football League,The Premier League,The FA,UEFA and FIFA.
I'll stick to bog snorkelling down the Grove Toilet block!! O0

valenciayeltz
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by valenciayeltz » 12 Jun 2021, 16:28

The Spanish (well, the Valencianos anyway, Sean will know better about the Sevillanos), aren't giving Spain much of a chance this year. The general opinion is a young team in transformation without any big personalities in the squad. Love him, or hate him (and most Spaniards have a grudging respect for his ability, if not his personality) Sergio Ramos being injured is a big loss in terms of a leader on the pitch. This will be the first Spanish squad ever to head into a tournament without any Real Madrid players in it, which has caused a lot more discussion than how far they'll get, along with a big political discussion about whether the players should be vaccinated or not (the coach doesn't want them to get the jab just before or during the tournament in case of side effects, but they've spent so long deciding that it's too late now....). Most fans here seem to think quarters is possible but not much further than that. Luis Enrique, the coach is also considered tactically naive, if not outright barmy in his decisions. When at Barça he had some success but his only tactic was to write "Neymar, Messi, Suarez" on the team sheet and then see how many they won by (not a bad tactic if you've got those 3 in your team, mind you...). They also don't think much of England's chances either. The fans I've chatted to who follow the Premier League, feel that we've got an exciting forward line but the Midfield and Defence isn't up to scratch and the general belief in Spain is that midfields win you tournaments. Most fans I've chatted with put France and Portugal way ahead and then Italy and Germany, with Spain in a group of outsiders along with England....

pantverdant2
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by pantverdant2 » 12 Jun 2021, 17:33

Nice post Frank I too would put Spain ahead of England in the pecking order and looking at it from the Spanish angle puts
a fresh perspective on it,I thought theSwiss played Wales off the park in Baku and maybe an outside bet for the semis.

The best midfield is Belgium or France so those two sides could go deep.