Maidenhead United FA Trophy 2nd

Scores, live updates, discussion etc. on Yeltz matches
dalevillain
Yeltz Forum Member

Re: Maidenhead United FA Trophy 2nd

Post by dalevillain » 11 Jan 2020, 21:48

To a man, I thought we were absolutely fantastic today! Despite being behind twice we fought back both times which shows great character in the side.

Must admit after going behind in be first couple of minutes I feared the worst but we grew in the game and what an unbelievable goal from Robbie Bunn which sent us wild in the Shed End. Although we switched off and they scored straight after but felt we gave a good account of ourselves the first half.

But then we equalised not long after half time and then felt we were the better team the 2nd half. Cobourn off the bench caused them no end of problems and they didn’t know how to deal with his pace. We should have capitalised on our superiority then but it was not to be and despite us tiring the last 5/10 minutes we held out superbly.

At the end of the day it’s an unbelievable performance, mad to think you play against a side 3 leagues above and are slightly disappointed with a draw but so proud of the boys.

Fans were superb again as well!! Absolutely buzzing!

HalesowenHarry
Global Moderator

Post by HalesowenHarry » 11 Jan 2020, 22:12

andy wrote:
11 Jan 2020, 21:18
HalesowenHarry wrote:
11 Jan 2020, 20:45
andy wrote:
11 Jan 2020, 19:43
I'll be honest here and say I think we have had our chance. It reminds me of an FA Cup 1st round tie back in 91 when we held high flying Farnborough 2-2 and got smashed in the replay 4-0. But this current team never stops amazing me, so.....
We've just signed Alan Attwood.. ... ...
Meaning?
He was terrible at Farnborough. He ran round 4 of their players in the piss wet rain and ended up at the same point on the pitch

YeltzDoc
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by YeltzDoc » 11 Jan 2020, 22:22

andy wrote:
I'll be honest here and say I think we have had our chance. It reminds me of an FA Cup 1st round tie back in 91 when we held high flying Farnborough 2-2 and got smashed in the replay 4-0. But this current team never stops amazing me, so.....
Same deal when we played Kiddy in the FAC1P in 1987, 2-2 followed by a 4-0 humping.
I don’t think we’ll get tatered on Tuesday though.

andy
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by andy » 11 Jan 2020, 22:40

HalesowenHarry wrote:
11 Jan 2020, 22:12
andy wrote:
11 Jan 2020, 21:18
HalesowenHarry wrote:
11 Jan 2020, 20:45

We've just signed Alan Attwood.. ... ...
Meaning?
He was terrible at Farnborough. He ran round 4 of their players in the piss wet rain and ended up at the same point on the pitch
Gosh that's some memory! I so hope that after the fantastic display we put up today we don't come back down with a bump. It so often happens that way. To replicate today's performance away from home on a Tuesday night will really take some doing. Wouldn't it be great though.
Proud owner of FOUR Georges O0 O0 O0 O0

andy
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by andy » 11 Jan 2020, 22:42

YeltzDoc wrote:
11 Jan 2020, 22:22
andy wrote:
Same deal when we played Kiddy in the FAC1P in 1987, 2-2 followed by a 4-0 humping.
Yep, so similar again. I hope you're right though.
Proud owner of FOUR Georges O0 O0 O0 O0

DJ
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by DJ » 12 Jan 2020, 14:02

Buildbase FA Trophy Second Round – Saturday, 11th January 2020

Halesowen Town 2 Maidenhead United 2

Hungry Halesowen earned a well deserved replay after coming from behind twice and giving National League side Maidenhead a massive scare.

Honest Halesowen Paul Smith reflected on a hugely impressive performance in the tenth FA trophy tie of the season and was disappointed not to complete an historic cup giant-killing, admitting that “two poor defensive goals cost us, but otherwise we were solid and more than matched a much higher league opposition.”

The Yeltz made the worst possible start when Joe ELLUL flashed home a near post free header from Josh Smile’s left wing corner after just ninety seconds.

From that point onwards Halesowen took the game to their higher league opposition in great first-half entertainment. Ash Sammons fired a low, long range shot just wide from a 5th minute short free-kick and Sammons then saw his 15 yard acrobatic overhead kick fall just over the bar. Josh Hawker’s 12th minute free-kick was punched clear by visiting goalkeeper Chris Dunne and Montel Gibson side-footed at Dunne from James Bowen’s cross a minute later.

With the Yeltz far from out of it, Sammons fed the ball out to Bowen but his 20th minute cross was cut out in the penalty area and Ahmed Ali made a good 25th minute burst forward. Robbie Bunn was just wide from the right in the 36th minute and Bunn played the ball for Montel Gibson to cut in from the left in the 40th minute, but Dunne made a low save.

Halesowen deservedly found a 41st minute equaliser in spectacular style when Gibson laid the ball off for Robbie BUNN to fire a left-foot rocket shot into the top corner, leaving Dunne with no chance.

But the Magpies regained the lead just ninety seconds later with their second goal from their second first-half chance when SMILE was granted too much space on the right of the penalty area and he drilled his low shot into the far corner. Just before the interval Gibson brought the ball down well but his shot was turned over the bar by Dunne for a corner.

Another shot from Sammons was deflected away for a corner at the start of the second half. But never-say-die Halesowen soon equalised again with another fine goal when defender Andy PARSONS met Robbie Bunn’s 49th minute right wing corner with a bullet header to sting Dunne’s hands and send the net bulging.

The Yeltz continued to defy the three league gap between the sides with lively substitute Simeon Cobourne creating a nuisance for the Magpies after his introduction and it was Cobourne who used his pace to skip into the penalty area in the 68th minute with Ali hitting wide.

Brendon Bunn made a good blocking save at the other end to deny Jake Cassidy before Cobourne used his pace to burst into the penalty area again in the 72nd minute and beat the first defender, only for the final defender to turn the ball away for a corner. Gibson then stretched the Maidenhead defence in the 75th minute and cut the ball back from the left wing, although Cobourne just failed to get a strong enough final touch.

The Magpies forced several late corners with Rob Evans making a good 84th minute challenge from a ball across goal and Ellul headed over the bar a minute later. Parsons made a fine 87th minute interception and Ryan Upward volleyed over the bar in the final minute as the Yeltz held out for a Tuesday replay at York Road, Maidenhead.

Halesowen Town: Brendon Bunn; Rob Evans, James Bowen, Ahmed Ali, Paul McCone (c), Andrew Parsons, Ashley Sammons, Robbie Bunn, Montel Gibson, Luke Yates (Simeon Cobourne 67), Joshua Hawker (McKauley Manning 89). Subs Not Used: Jordan Piggott, Jamie Ashmore, Jamie Lucas, Bradley Catlow (GK).

Maidenhead United: Chris Dunne; Alan Massey (c), Joe Ellul, Ryheem Sheckleford, Seth Twumasi, James Comley, Josh Smile, Remy Clerima, Ryan Upward, Danny Whitehall, Jake Cassidy. Subs Not Used: Aron Davis, Reece Smith, Shamir Fenelon, Bernard, Mensah, James Akintunde.

Referee: James Bell Attendance: 892
Booked: Comley (28), Bunn (42), Ellul (56)
‘Tulleys Print’ HTFC Man of the Match selected by Ace Embroidery: Ash Sammons

juanillo
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by juanillo » 12 Jan 2020, 15:08

As has been said, I suspect we may have missed the chance yesterday, but that certainly through any lack of effort and quality. If it hadn't been for a couple of lapses in concentration, I think we'd have won.
There was certainly no evidence of a gap in divisions, let alone a gap of 3!
I thought fitness would tell, even though I learned from seasoned Maidenhead fans that they were still part time. However there are still levels of part time, and the team put in an amazing show.

drummyb
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by drummyb » 14 Jan 2020, 23:25

andy wrote:
11 Jan 2020, 22:42
YeltzDoc wrote:
11 Jan 2020, 22:22
andy wrote:
Yep, so similar again. I hope you're right though.
Frickley Athletic likewise!

Seamus
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by Seamus » 15 Jan 2020, 10:56

One of their Saturday starters (number 11) gets a move to a league club. Assume we then do not encounter him in the replay.

https://www.maidenhead-advertiser.co.uk ... -town.html

Noggin
Global Moderator

Post by Noggin » 15 Jan 2020, 14:32

I note that Jamie Molyneux's suspension, according to the FA Disciplinary site, is 3 matches "All Saturday Football only" from 11-Jan. Presumably this to exclude County Cup games,normally midweek of course but to include replays of matches that would normally be played on a Saturday (including leugue fixtures previously on a Saturday)?

its just a strange form of words from our beloved governing body

I think we played Malvern in a county cup in about 2006 on a Saturday. Would this be a Saturday match or a non-Saturday match played on a Saturday?