Ashton Updates

Scores, live updates, discussion etc. on Yeltz matches
AwayDayYeltz
Yeltz Forum Member

Re: Ashton Updates

Post by AwayDayYeltz » 15 Apr 2018, 11:18

dalevillain wrote:
15 Apr 2018, 10:56
Also it was no coincidence that with a certain Richard Sneekes controlling things from the touchline that we produced such a positive display. A management duo of Sneekes with Hughes as a player/coach would be one that I and sure a lot of others would welcome.
This is the change I’m hoping for come post season.
Josh - Keyboard warrior! #UpTheYeltz

DJ
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by DJ » 15 Apr 2018, 11:31

Halesowen Town 1 Ashton United 1

Improving Halesowen had to be content with a point after play-off chasing Ashton fired home an equaliser in the final seconds of added time.

At the start of an even game Jordan Goddard set up Jack Kelly to cross for Lee Hughes to glance a header just wide. Both sides then went close within a minute. Ashton captain Josh Granite rose like a salmon to head Sam Sheridan’s free-kick against the crossbar in the 10th minute and Hughes was put clear on the Ashton goal by Marcus Poscha but shot straight at goalkeeper Dave Carnell. Carnell then raced out of goal to collect from Kelly just inside the penalty area after 21 minutes.

The Yeltz thought they’d taken the lead after half an hour, when Hughes was left all alone and squared the ball for Ahmed Ali to slot home, but his effort was ruled out when the referee’s assistant pointed out that the preceding throw-in should’ve been taken by the Robins.

The visitors went close twice more before the interval as Dan Platt made a 36th minute flying save from Sheridan’s long shot and Daniel Mooney then nipped in to touch the ball past Platt in the 43rd minute, only to see defender Asa Charlton race back to hook the ball off the goal-line. In first-half injury time, Goddard’s shot was kept out by Carnell near his post.

Ashton applied some pressure at the start of the second half and Platt needed to make a good save to deny Nic Evangelinos after he burst through the home defence in the 56th minute. Smalley then ballooned a golden chance high over the bar from just ten yards out after the ball was worked across from the right just a minute later.

Goddard’s long range shot was gathered at the second attempt by Carnell after an hour but the home defence held firm to keep out two successive Ashton corners three minutes later.

It was home substitute Roland Agbor who changed the game with his dangerous runs and he caused immediate danger with a 66th minute shot. AGBOR then put the Yeltz ahead with a solo 70th minute goal, producing a fine ten yard finish with the outside of his right foot to end his weaving run.

Ashton stuck to their task as Platt made a 79th minute save from Mooney and a 90th minute effort was disallowed for offside after Platt saved from Evangelinos and Liam Tomsett turned the rebound home. But TOMSETT had the last word in the final move of the game when he turned and finally beat Platt with a low shot from the left of the penalty area to level in the third minute of stoppage time.

Halesowen Town: Dan Platt; Enock Ekongo, Jack Kelly, Marcus Poscha, Kyle Morrison, Asa Charlton, Jordan Goddard (Roland Agbor 62), Danny Bragoli (c), Lee Hughes (John Oyenuga 82), Ahmed Ali, Kevin Da Veiga Monteiro (Dan Byrnes 62). Subs Not Used: Ivor Lawton, Tom Parsons.

Ashton United: Dave Carnell; Dominic Smalley (Simon Woodford 38), Lewis Baines, Josh Granite (c), Aaron Chalmers (Kanye Makhosini 46), Sam Sheridan, Nicky Platt, Liam Tomsett, Dean Smalley, Daniel Mooney, Nic Evangelinos. Subs Not Used: John Roberts, John Pritchard, Jody Banim.

Referee: Scott Chalkey Attendance: 375
Booked: Ekongo (65), Hughes (78)
‘Tulleys Print’ HTFC Man of the Match selected by Withymoor Colts West u-9s: Roland Agbor
‘Non-League Paper’ HTFC Man of the Match: Dan Platt

piearce9
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by piearce9 » 15 Apr 2018, 12:45

Enjoyed yesterday’s game, despite the late equaliser.

Definitely need to hang on to the core of this squad for next season- I’ve got a list of five or six names in my head that’s probably the same as most other people.

Agbor deserved his goal as well- he’s not always been given much game time but is always fresh and energetic when he comes on as sub. Not seen a somersault celebration down The Grove in a while but will give one a go if I ever land the 50/50 jackpot.

YeltzDoc
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by YeltzDoc » 15 Apr 2018, 16:01

piearce9 wrote:
15 Apr 2018, 12:45
Not seen a somersault celebration down The Grove in a while
Good point.

Who was the last player we had that celebrated like this?

Steve Vowles?
Les Prosser?
Chas?

Laurel Lane Lamper
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by Laurel Lane Lamper » 15 Apr 2018, 16:19

I've never celebrated like that and daren't try these days

Westyeltz
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by Westyeltz » 15 Apr 2018, 21:41

Laurel Lane Lamper wrote:
15 Apr 2018, 16:19
I've never celebrated like that and daren't try these days
Like me Chas. You stay safe. :)

Wheels
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by Wheels » 15 Apr 2018, 23:45

YeltzDoc wrote:
15 Apr 2018, 16:01
piearce9 wrote:
15 Apr 2018, 12:45
Not seen a somersault celebration down The Grove in a while
Good point.

Who was the last player we had that celebrated like this?

Steve Vowles?
Les Prosser?
Chas?
Andre Hines and prior to that mark Gayle I believe Andre scored one goal which he celebrated in the above manner and obviously Mark Gayle never scored a goal but celebrated a victory I recall in a similar way!

Laurel Lane Lamper
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by Laurel Lane Lamper » 16 Apr 2018, 09:28

Did Paul Hunter celebrate similarly after scoring with the overhead kick against Banbury?

YeltzDoc
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by YeltzDoc » 16 Apr 2018, 10:26

Mark Gayle was quite a big unit, I probably saw that but don't remember.

And as for Paul Hunter, I thought the overhead kick was against Merthyr in the 3-3 at The Grove? Brain's playing tricks again I expect.

Unihammer01
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by Unihammer01 » 16 Apr 2018, 10:33

AwayDayYeltz wrote:
15 Apr 2018, 11:18
dalevillain wrote:
15 Apr 2018, 10:56
Also it was no coincidence that with a certain Richard Sneekes controlling things from the touchline that we produced such a positive display. A management duo of Sneekes with Hughes as a player/coach would be one that I and sure a lot of others would welcome.
This is the change I’m hoping for come post season.
Have to disagree to a certain extent. I stood behind the dugout for the second half and heard nothing from them at all. I may be wrong but they were somewhat passive. I don't agree with the "Matt Clarke style", but just thought more was needed.
My main beef is with the final substitution. Taking off Hughes meant we lost an outlet from defence. Also the three down the righthandside didn't seem sure as to who should be doing what, which ultimately led to the the goal.
However, an enjoyable but still frustrating game.