Royston Updates

Scores, live updates, discussion etc. on Yeltz matches
Brightgoldenhaze
Yeltz Forum Member

Re: Royston Updates

Post by Brightgoldenhaze » 24 Feb 2024, 19:54

I think today has been coming for a while. The performance was dire, but the worrying thing was after the red card the defenders had no idea what was happening. "What the f**k are we doing?", as Ezewele asked eloquently of the bench. I hope that isn't a sign of internal strife.

Paul Smith deserves some criticism. But I think he's earned the right to try and put it right. And, as far as I'm concerned, it's reached the stage where we need to ask whether the players are as good as we think they are?

We like to say they are very good for the level but how do we know? Very few of them have a pedigree at step 3 as far as I am aware? We started the season like a train but that's because Miracle was scoring more or less every game and we were a bit of an unknown quantity.

Now, we haven't got an answer because teams have found us out. We've tried different things but they haven't worked. Whose fault is that?
Last edited by Brightgoldenhaze on 24 Feb 2024, 20:02, edited 1 time in total.

Brightgoldenhaze
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by Brightgoldenhaze » 24 Feb 2024, 19:57

andy wrote:
24 Feb 2024, 16:17
Johnny Bud wrote:
24 Feb 2024, 16:16
Sub: Hickman on for Hayward

Plot well and truly lost.
Curious why you thought that Andy. It's harsh to single him out but he can have no complaints about being taken off today. Unusually, it looked like his head had gone down too.
Last edited by Brightgoldenhaze on 24 Feb 2024, 20:07, edited 1 time in total.

Dazzie76
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by Dazzie76 » 24 Feb 2024, 20:06

Hope Josh Ezewele is OK first and foremost but we are in a slump and I can't see us getting out of it anytime soon. Line up again baffled me must have had a shed load of corners first half but never troubled them as usual, we are so easy to defend against.
As for the defending Jesus christ as I said to a Royston fan next to me they had time to make a cup of tea before they put their first goal away. Time for smith to go seen enough now

drummyb
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by drummyb » 24 Feb 2024, 20:32

Brightgoldenhaze wrote:
24 Feb 2024, 19:54

Paul Smith deserves some criticism. But I think he's earned the right to try and put it right. And, as far as I'm concerned, it's reached the stage where we need to ask whether the players are as good as we think they are?

We like to say they are very good for the level but how do we know? Very few of them have a pedigree at step 3 as far as I am aware? We started the season like a train but that's because Miracle was scoring more or less every game and we were a bit of an unknown quantity.

Now, we haven't got an answer because teams have found us out. We've tried different things but they haven't worked. Whose fault is that?
Fair points and I agree in part. However Paul signed those players. I part agree he should put it right and thats why Im torn. How much time do you give? How much loyalty do you show to someone who has given us some outstanding memories, that are now fading into anger and despair.
As for the players. You may be right. Theyre tricksy aplenty but as a whole unit its failing.

Rich
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by Rich » 24 Feb 2024, 20:48

Most importantly I hope Josh is ok. Looked a nasty injury and he seemed in a lot of pain.
Although very disappointed with today think the final score didnt do the lads justice for their effort.
The first goal was poor and the penalty came from a silly mistake but it killed the game.
Credit to the lads for their efforts after and we created several chances to score but a bit of composure and a clinical finish lacking.

Saying that though something is seriously wrong within the group and today was the first time I heard players arguing between themselves on the pitch.
The Gaffer seemed very quiet compared to his usual self and haven't seen him sit down and not be shouting to players before. This seems very strange.

Think its time to think about next seasons team and for Paul to start moulding players inpo positions and look at areas to strengthen. Defence does look solid if we can eliminate silly errors. Midfield maybe a new player and I really feel we need a new experienced forward.

Even before the game the crowd seemed very flat today and you felt the expectation for a loss was there.
Lets hope the lads can refocus and come again next week and get a result to regain some confidence.
My take on Paul Smith is he has done so much good for the club he should be allowed (if he wants to) to rebuild a team and see how the first half of next season goes

Brightgoldenhaze
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by Brightgoldenhaze » 24 Feb 2024, 21:02

drummyb wrote:
24 Feb 2024, 20:32
Brightgoldenhaze wrote:
24 Feb 2024, 19:54

Fair points and I agree in part. However Paul signed those players. I part agree he should put it right and thats why Im torn. How much time do you give? How much loyalty do you show to someone who has given us some outstanding memories, that are now fading into anger and despair.
As for the players. You may be right. Theyre tricksy aplenty but as a whole unit its failing.
We're going to.finish (lower) mid table in our first season back at step 3. It's disappointing because there was a time when it looked like we were going to push for the play offs. I don't think we're that good though, and we are more or less where we ought to be. It's what happens next season that matters now.

Funnily enough, I asked my 14 year old on the way back if Smudger should be sacked. He looked at me like I was mad. I think I agree with him.

drummyb
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by drummyb » 24 Feb 2024, 21:07

Well I don't think you're mad ;D
It what I expected before the season tbh. Its the performances that have let me down, rather than results/position.

Brightgoldenhaze
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by Brightgoldenhaze » 24 Feb 2024, 21:16

drummyb wrote:
24 Feb 2024, 21:07
Well I don't think you're mad ;D
It what I expected before the season tbh. Its the performances that have let me down, rather than results/position.
We've got enough to stay up already, but how many points do you think we'll get in March?

andy
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by andy » 24 Feb 2024, 21:28

Where's Yeltzbaby?
Proud owner of FOUR Georges O0 O0 O0 O0

TractionJackson
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by TractionJackson » 24 Feb 2024, 21:31

Rich wrote:
24 Feb 2024, 20:48
Most importantly I hope Josh is ok. Looked a nasty injury and he seemed in a lot of pain.
Although very disappointed with today think the final score didnt do the lads justice for their effort.
The first goal was poor and the penalty came from a silly mistake but it killed the game.
Credit to the lads for their efforts after and we created several chances to score but a bit of composure and a clinical finish lacking.

Saying that though something is seriously wrong within the group and today was the first time I heard players arguing between themselves on the pitch.
The Gaffer seemed very quiet compared to his usual self and haven't seen him sit down and not be shouting to players before. This seems very strange.

Think its time to think about next seasons team and for Paul to start moulding players inpo positions and look at areas to strengthen. Defence does look solid if we can eliminate silly errors. Midfield maybe a new player and I really feel we need a new experienced forward.

Even before the game the crowd seemed very flat today and you felt the expectation for a loss was there.
Lets hope the lads can refocus and come again next week and get a result to regain some confidence.
My take on Paul Smith is he has done so much good for the club he should be allowed (if he wants to) to rebuild a team and see how the first half of next season goes
Agree with everything said there. Bang on.