Royston Updates

Scores, live updates, discussion etc. on Yeltz matches
piearce9
Yeltz Forum Member

Re: Royston Updates

Post by piearce9 » 25 Feb 2024, 11:34

I dont buy it. Spin on top of spin.

Coleshill last season fit the Charlton analogy. We do not. It’s “careful what you wish for” scaremongering.

I was there yesterday. I can see where we are at and I’ve no doubt Keith will have done so as well.

Josh1873
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by Josh1873 » 25 Feb 2024, 12:38

I think the beginning of the end is approaching. Sadly. It just feels that way, doesn't it? I can't see how the club can move forward with Paul Smith as manager, considering we see the same mistakes and runs over and over again. By that, I mean the good and positive start to the season and then the regression in league form when we suffer the first defeat as we move into October, and the fact we concede the same type of goal and witness the same type of defeat over and over again. Nothing has changed despite a change of playing personal, tactics and formations. The only thing that has remained the same is the manager.

This season's downturn in form isn't a one off, it has become a regularity in Paul's time here. I've read and heard people palm this season's poor form as 'we've been found out after being a surprise package and unknown quantity early on'. Nonsense. When we were excellent in those first ten games, are you telling me teams didn't scout us, do their homework and know exactly how we were going to play? Of course they did. It didn't mater, because we were superb and had a team that worked for each other. However, that is no longer the case. Why?

Well, I firmly believe that the constant rotation of the starting XI is the root cause. Players are OK with it early in the season and when we're winning. However, after a defeat or two, and when the regularity of being in one week, then out the next, hits, frustrations and cracks in the dressing room grow. Ask yourself why Stamford won the league last year while we struggled for large parts. They had a consistent XI. Why have they faired better than us this season? It is not a coincidence. Such a tinker man selection policy can't create a healthy dressing room, which of course translates to on-pitch performances.

If we stick with Smith for next season we will see the same patterns and results. I have no doubt of that. The squad isn't the issue. For those questioning how we know this squad is so good? Well, for one, I have eyes, and I can see we have very good players. But secondly, ask yourself how many players leave us and go on to play at a higher level or the same level. The answer: most of them! Again, that's not a coincidence. We have good players at our disposal. Results do not match the quality of the squad.

Paul Smith has been a breath of fresh air for this club after the dark days of John Hill and Lynch. I'm so grateful for the hard work he has put in in galvanising our club and he has played a huge part in where we are now. Just look at the attendances, the improvement around the ground and just the general feel about the club. I'm genuinely grateful for that and appreciative that Paul has brought many good things to Halesowen. But, there is no loyalty in football. We need to continue to push forward and grow.

In the Summer, should we part ways, there will be no shortage of applicants for the manager's role. Applicants that will have experience of successfully managing clubs at the National League North/South. Maybe even higher. Bromsgrove managed to attract Tim Flowers who came so close to guiding Solihull Moors to the football league. There is absolutely no reason why we can't attract a similar candidate. This club is full of potential, I don't believe we have the right manager in place to realise that.

Scribbler
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by Scribbler » 25 Feb 2024, 13:05

We’re looking like a pub side at the moment …. And every game it gets worse!!! No football being played, long hopeful balls being launched for the majority of the game… no goals in the team and being outplayed, out fought and out thought against bang average sides…. Who at least try to play a bit of composed football and are organised and play to their strengths… it’s not rocket science!!!
We’re struggling and have been for months, the squad has been crying out for a striker… the manager has added new additions to the squad… who are on the bench,or on loan ??? Surely if you bring in new players they should be better than what you’ve already got and be in your starting eleven,barring injuries…. Every game the manager bellows out the same drivel to the players, weather we’re winning, drawing or as mostly the case loosing….. occasionally he gives them instructions, which they don’t act on !!! And he never questions them on why they never did as he has asked…… players that were released, or were surplus to requirements not long ago, are now in the starting eleven….. what is going on ??? And yes this is all down to your manager…. No pattern of play, players looking as if they’re not up for it…. Massive steps backwards….. in mine and most other football minded people’s opinions, that I discuss the games with…… FACT…….

Yeltzbaby
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by Yeltzbaby » 25 Feb 2024, 13:33

KenR wrote:
25 Feb 2024, 11:24
Well then yeltzbaby , how long do we give Smith to put it right ?
Good question but after a number of successful seasons and exciting times, more than a couple of games and I think he deserves that. At least this season and a chance to build into the next. Like most managers I am sure his performance is monitored by the board and assessed against agreed targets etc.

However what I am reading on here, other social media and the general feel around the ground I fear he won't get the chance he deserves, seems many want him out now. Deserves better imo, and far to knee jerk.
Hope whatever happens and if pressure does see him out, my fellow fans don't regret it aka Charlton athletic to name just one of a few clubs who have fired a manager far to early after he brought them 'success"
Time will tell I suppose

drummyb
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by drummyb » 25 Feb 2024, 13:53

Yeltzbaby wrote:
25 Feb 2024, 13:33
KenR wrote:
25 Feb 2024, 11:24
Well then yeltzbaby , how long do we give Smith to put it right ?
Good question but after a number of successful seasons and exciting times, more than a couple of games and I think he deserves that. At least this season and a chance to build into the next. Like most managers I am sure his performance is monitored by the board and assessed against agreed targets etc.

However what I am reading on here, other social media and the general feel around the ground I fear he won't get the chance he deserves, seems many want him out now. Deserves better imo, and far to knee jerk.
Hope whatever happens and if pressure does see him out, my fellow fans don't regret it aka Charlton athletic to name just one of a few clubs who have fired a manager far to early after he brought them 'success"
Time will tell I suppose
As Ive said, part of me feels he should get the chance, but then part of me also feels he doesn't know how to turn it round, given his insistance on reverting to type and stubborness to stick with one way. I don't think anyone doubts how well he's turned us round, at the right time BUT added to the that is the lengthy losing streaks, the constant chop and change, the fall out with players. We got promoted after two attempts, in the play offs. After bossing the league, to stutter and stumble over the line. Its becoming a theme and the negatives are beginning to overshadow the positives. Ive fully supported him and part of me still does, but this is testing my loyalty.

I tend to live by the adage that you can't live on a promise, and this is feeling like I am.

Simons
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by Simons » 25 Feb 2024, 13:55

How can you defend the type of performance that was put in yesterday. As I stated earlier, 22 points from last 21 games. Even the late Paddy Page was sacked, and look what success he brought.

andy
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by andy » 25 Feb 2024, 14:21

I think it's all been said in these posts, some very good ones I have to say. To the others, I really feel you have to remove the blinkers now, loyalty and fond memories of past days will soon pale as the wished for improvement doesn't materialise. I would in an ideal world love to say 'have another chance, you've earned it', but the harsh reality is we are moving backwards, and quite quickly also. A big 'thank you' and fresh start is needed I'm afraid.
Proud owner of FOUR Georges O0 O0 O0 O0

TractionJackson
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by TractionJackson » 25 Feb 2024, 15:57

Some pretty great patronising comments going on here.

Keep up the good work lads. Me and the other guys who arent football-minded need this education. Fact.

drummyb
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by drummyb » 25 Feb 2024, 16:08

TractionJackson wrote:
25 Feb 2024, 15:57
Some pretty great patronising comments going on here.

Keep up the good work lads. Me and the other guys who arent football-minded need this education. Fact.
I don't think anyone is patronising anyone fella. Stop looking for fights!! People are angry with whats happening and expressing opinions. No more, no less.

TractionJackson
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by TractionJackson » 25 Feb 2024, 16:51

Josh1873 wrote:
25 Feb 2024, 12:38
I think the beginning of the end is approaching. Sadly. It just feels that way, doesn't it? I can't see how the club can move forward with Paul Smith as manager, considering we see the same mistakes and runs over and over again. By that, I mean the good and positive start to the season and then the regression in league form when we suffer the first defeat as we move into October, and the fact we concede the same type of goal and witness the same type of defeat over and over again. Nothing has changed despite a change of playing personal, tactics and formations. The only thing that has remained the same is the manager.

This season's downturn in form isn't a one off, it has become a regularity in Paul's time here. I've read and heard people palm this season's poor form as 'we've been found out after being a surprise package and unknown quantity early on'. Nonsense. When we were excellent in those first ten games, are you telling me teams didn't scout us, do their homework and know exactly how we were going to play? Of course they did. It didn't mater, because we were superb and had a team that worked for each other. However, that is no longer the case. Why?

Well, I firmly believe that the constant rotation of the starting XI is the root cause. Players are OK with it early in the season and when we're winning. However, after a defeat or two, and when the regularity of being in one week, then out the next, hits, frustrations and cracks in the dressing room grow. Ask yourself why Stamford won the league last year while we struggled for large parts. They had a consistent XI. Why have they faired better than us this season? It is not a coincidence. Such a tinker man selection policy can't create a healthy dressing room, which of course translates to on-pitch performances.

If we stick with Smith for next season we will see the same patterns and results. I have no doubt of that. The squad isn't the issue. For those questioning how we know this squad is so good? Well, for one, I have eyes, and I can see we have very good players. But secondly, ask yourself how many players leave us and go on to play at a higher level or the same level. The answer: most of them! Again, that's not a coincidence. We have good players at our disposal. Results do not match the quality of the squad.

Paul Smith has been a breath of fresh air for this club after the dark days of John Hill and Lynch. I'm so grateful for the hard work he has put in in galvanising our club and he has played a huge part in where we are now. Just look at the attendances, the improvement around the ground and just the general feel about the club. I'm genuinely grateful for that and appreciative that Paul has brought many good things to Halesowen. But, there is no loyalty in football. We need to continue to push forward and grow.

In the Summer, should we part ways, there will be no shortage of applicants for the manager's role. Applicants that will have experience of successfully managing clubs at the National League North/South. Maybe even higher. Bromsgrove managed to attract Tim Flowers who came so close to guiding Solihull Moors to the football league. There is absolutely no reason why we can't attract a similar candidate. This club is full of potential, I don't believe we have the right manager in place to realise that.
I actually quite like this and while no-one has EVER had their opinion changed by something they've read on an internet discussion board even I see some valid points.

Last paragraph is uncharacteristically optimistic though.