Redditch

Scores, live updates, discussion etc. on Yeltz matches
DJ
Yeltz Forum Member

Re: Redditch

Post by DJ » 10 Feb 2024, 18:25

Southern League Premier Central – Saturday, 10th February 2024

Halesowen Town 1 Redditch United 2

Redditch remain top of the table after hitting a late winner in a keenly contested local derby, writes DJ.

Yeltz manager Paul Smith was disappointed once again. “We didn’t get what we deserved again today although we threw the kitchen sink at it in the second half. The first half shape wasn’t quite right, but we still worked hard. The goal conceded in the second half perked us up and we rewarded with an equaliser, there then seemed only one side would win the game. But if you’re not ruthless you’re going to get caught, as we’ve seen time and time again. Credit to Redditch, they are top of the league for a reason.”

The first half was a real battle of attrition with few early chances and nothing to separate the sides at the break. Danny King’s 16th minute deflected shot earned the first corner for Redditch but Halesowen broke away with Miracle Okafor putting Ryan Boothe clear, only for the striker to hesitate too long and lose his chance.

McKauley Manning’s 23rd minute free-kick was gathered by Redditch goalkeeper Adam Harrison and Harrison then collected Okafor’s ball across goal from the right. For the Reds, Adam Soleman’s 34th minute shot from outside the area rebounded off Dan Platt’s crossbar and Platt then saved Jordan Cranston’s 40th minute effort. Just before the interval Harrison held onto Manning’s shot and Kieren Donnelly also headed onto the top of Redditch’s net.

The game really opened up in the second half and Redditch grabbed a vital 55th minute lead when Soleman threaded an incisive through ball for new loan signing Jack CONCANNON to skilfully take the ball around goalkeeper Platt and slot home.

Halesowen then ramped up the pace in search of an equaliser but came up against a solid Redditch defensive rearguard. Donnelly did well to beat two players before blasting over the bar in the 59th minute and the hosts then made an adventurous 61st minute triple substitution. But it was home goalkeeper Platt who turned the ball around his post to deny substitute Alex Cameron after 63 minutes.

The Yeltz poured forward in the final twenty minutes and forced a string of corners. A 72nd minute volley from substitute Richard Gregory was cleared off the line from Manning’s corner and a 78th minute shot from substitute Jack Holmes was headed away following good work from Gregory and Okafor as Halesowen knocked on the door.

The Yeltz were finally rewarded with a 78th minute equaliser from another corner when Donnelly’s deflected shot from the edge of the area fell handily for OKAFOR to slam home his first goal since November.

But the league leaders snatched their 85th minute winner when KING worked along the edge of the penalty area and bent a curling shot just inside Platt’s post. The league leaders survived further late pressure to somehow clear four or five attempts in an almighty 89th minute goalmouth scramble and Gregory’s injury time overhead kick landed just over the Redditch bar.

Halesowen Town: Dan Platt (c); Victor Nirennold, McKauley Manning, Caine Elliott, Ryan Wynter, Thomas Taylor, Kieren Donnelly, Nathan Hayward (Rhys Hilton 61), Miracle Okafor, Ryan Boothe (Jack Holmes 61), Isaac Adegoke (Richard Gregory 61). Subs Not Used: Josh Ezewele, Todd Parker.

Redditch United: Adam Harrison; Isiah Bazeley, Jordan Cranston, Gift Mussa, Matt Fulloway, Ryan Wollacott (c), Jack Concannon (Adriel George 79), Danny King, Morgan Owen (Musa Ceesay Ceesay 90), Aram Soleman, Johnny Johnston (Alex Cameron 61). Subs Not Used: Jaiden White, Jack Price (GK).

Referee: Edgar Brown Attendance: 1,092
Booked: Taylor (53), Soleman (70), Nirennold (90)
Tulleys Print HTFC Man of the Match selected by Spencer Signs: Kieren Donnelly
Non-League Paper Man of the Match: Ryan Wollacott (Redditch)

juanillo
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by juanillo » 10 Feb 2024, 19:43

Having seen both Redditch and Needham Market recently, I can't say that either team made me think that they are top of the table sides. They were probably more organised and had the edge on either set pieces or individual play; small, but important differences nonetheless.

That's not to say that we look like a promotion or a play-off side ourselves.

However, there does not seem to be a huge difference in standards across the league with the exception of the bottom two.

As I said earlier, the reaction of their management team left a lot to be desired. By all means celebrate a goal, but it just seemed rather pathetic.

Scribbler
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by Scribbler » 11 Feb 2024, 09:11

Lost again, fact…. Never mind didn’t deserve to loose… when substitutes were made we looked a better side, fact… this is happening every game, better players being left on the bench and impacting the game when they’re introduced…fact.. we don’t look as if we can score goals at the moment , and we reintroduce a player who was let go because he couldn’t cut it…. We start yet again with a midfielder , who never impacts a game ever… team selection is mind boggling, and has been for a while, for me …. And you’re not going to win anything unless you score goals !!!! Go and get a striker and as someone posted earlier there’s not a lot of difference between most of the teams in this league.. and with the addition of one good striker, I believe we could have been challenging for top spot…. But wasn’t to be…..

Yeltzbaby
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by Yeltzbaby » 11 Feb 2024, 12:04

FACT we are 8th, and I think most of us would have taken that start of season (so far). Sorry to burst a few bubbles here but not sure what some people expect, we aint to win every game we play.

Good display yesterday against a well experienced step 3 side sitting top of league and full of confidence. Well played all keep up the good work.

410viawednesbury
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by 410viawednesbury » 11 Feb 2024, 12:47

A hard result to take for me. Definitely didn't deserve to lose. Lots of endeavour from a Halesowen with a formation that works. I remember the 352 being deployed a few times over the previous seasons and found it to be quite productive albeit in a lower league.
At least you can say the manager isn't trying to address the problem that we seem to be in and more importantly Miracle getting back on the score-sheet was a relief!
Let's hope that that goal will be the catalyst for Miracle to continue the vein of form he had at the beginning of the season.
If Gregory's overhead kick would've gone in I'd have gladly have paid the admission money AGAIN! A great effort that warranted a goal.
Onto the next.........

Rich
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by Rich » 11 Feb 2024, 12:48

Bit surprised with yesterday's selection.
Sure there was a reason for no Mitchell and Parker on the bench.
Thought we missed Parker's energy and Boothe did nothing to say he is going to resolve our scoring issues.
Subs deffo made a difference and really think Holmes should have started.

Agree that 8th is an excellent position for us to be in and we just expected too much after our great start.

Scribbler
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by Scribbler » 11 Feb 2024, 13:00

FACT is we’re not improving…. And we should be… we seem to be going backwards when we could be so easily challenging at the top of the league… imo… Never be happy with mediocrity, if you were a struggling club, maybe, we’re not and should be looking upwards to winning games, the league and progressing forwards….. not being happy finishing in the lower reaches of a fairly evenly split league, … I’m sure some teams in higher leagues would love the support this club has….

Simons
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by Simons » 11 Feb 2024, 13:06

Yeltzbaby wrote:
11 Feb 2024, 12:04
FACT we are 8th, and I think most of us would have taken that start of season (so far). Sorry to burst a few bubbles here but not sure what some people expect, we aint to win every game we play.

Good display yesterday against a well experienced step 3 side sitting top of league and full of confidence. Well played all keep up the good work.
Fact is 6 defeats in 9 games and 4 of the defeats at home, and only 7 goals scored.

TractionJackson
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by TractionJackson » 11 Feb 2024, 14:20

I personally won't be happy until we've won the Champions League.

Scribbler
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by Scribbler » 11 Feb 2024, 14:24

Can’t argue with the FACTS 👍