Bromsgrove Updates

Scores, live updates, discussion etc. on Yeltz matches
DJ
Yeltz Forum Member

Re: Bromsgrove Updates

Post by DJ » 27 Jan 2024, 18:15

Southern League Premier Central – Saturday, 27th January 2024

Halesowen Town 2 Bromsgrove Sporting 1

Kieren’s Donnelly’s double strike in the first half was enough for Halesowen to take the points against Bromsgrove, writes DJ.

Bromsgrove inflicted the first Yeltz defeat of the season back in late September and Halesowen’s first meeting at the Grove with the new Bromsgrove Sporting saw them name an unchanged line-up from their last outing.

Yeltz manager Paul Smith was pleased with the victory although admitted “it was not one for the purists, but it’s a results business. The local derby added spice and we worked hard without much quality but we were just about deserved winners. Donnelly was tremendous today.”

Prior to the kick-off, a minute’s applause was held in remembrance of Southern League Chairman Anthony Hughes, who passed away recently. Anthony may well be remembered by long-time Yeltz fans as a huge servant and loyal supporter of his home town club Merthyr during our encounters from the mid 1980s to 2009, where he acted as club secretary, director and board member.

The Yeltz took the game to Bromsgrove after a quiet opening and man-of-the-match Donnelly struck across the face of goal from the right after 13 minutes. Jack Holmes found space two minutes later and he supplied McKauley Manning but his shot was blocked with the resulting corner from Todd Parker punched clear by goalkeeper Oliver Taylor. Josh Ezewele then also fired a low shot along goal after 17 minutes.

DONNELLY
’s fabulous finish gave the Yeltz a deserved 31st minute lead when he latched onto a through ball down the centre and thumped past Taylor from 15 yards.

DONNELLY then doubled Halesowen’s lead in first half injury time with a bullet header into the roof of the net after Parker delivered a free-kick from just right of the penalty area. With Halesowen in control, substitute Miracle Okafor showed his pace with a 33rd minute shot from the left and Ryan Wynter headed the following corner onto the top of the net. Ezewele found an opening with clever footwork in the 41st minute and his deflected shot deceived Taylor but landed just over the net.

There was little to show from the Rouslers in the first period with only Conor Tee striking a 9th minute free-kick high over the bar. But the Rouslers soon pulled a goal back just three minutes into the second half when captain Luke ROWE rose highest to head home Tee’s corner kick from close range off the underside of the bar. With renewed Bromsgrove hope, Keanu Cooper’s 66th minute cross found Prince Henry but he sent the ball well wide with a free header.

For Halesowen, Holmes planted a 72nd minute free-kick wide of the angle. The Yeltz never really drove home their early advantage and the Rouslers came close to an unlikely equaliser in the 82nd minute but home goalkeeper Dan Platt did just enough to keep out Tee’s corner from within a congested six-yard box.

Halesowen Town: Dan Platt (c); Josh Ezewele, Reece Mitchell, Todd Parker, Ryan Wynter, Thomas Taylor, Jack Holmes, Nathan Hayward (Simeon Cobourne 74), Kieren Donnelly, Richard Gregory (Miracle Okafor 32), McKauley Manning (Isaac Adegoke 59). Subs Not Used: Rob Evans, Caine Elliott.

Bromsgrove Sporting: Oliver Taylor; Askum White, Ayomide Lekuti (Shaquille Leachman-Whittingham 75), Luke Rowe (c), Aaron Roberts, David Solademi, Viadimro Granjal Martins Pais (Elliott Ball 88), Keanu Cooper, Prince Henry (Tristan Dunkley 67), Conor Tee, Billy Shaw. Subs Not Used: Ben O’Hanlon, Jack Newall.

Referee: Jake Allsopp Attendance: 1,421
Booked: Adegoke (71), Leachman-Whittingham (89)
Tulleys Print HTFC Man of the Match selected by ACE Embroidery: Kieren Donnelly
Non-League Paper Man of the Match: Kieren Donnelly (Halesowen)

Yeltzbaby
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by Yeltzbaby » 27 Jan 2024, 18:27

Bromsgrove probably the poorest side I have seen this season. As for us another 3 points that is all that counts

Rich
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by Rich » 27 Jan 2024, 19:12

Yeltzbaby wrote:
27 Jan 2024, 18:27
Bromsgrove probably the poorest side I have seen this season. As for us another 3 points that is all that counts
Think I agree with you on the first point. Deffo on the second

drummyb
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by drummyb » 27 Jan 2024, 19:15

I didnt think we were that bad once we scored tbh. Have to say Manning and Gregs didnt look up for it so just as well they went off.
Very good crowd I thought. So I was wrong about Miracle scoring. I thought he looked a bit sharper, but as others have said, isolated. He really needs to be part of a front 2, with a similar player.
We really need another forward. As much as I love all 3, Im not sure they will be effective in this league, as they are.

juanillo
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by juanillo » 27 Jan 2024, 19:40

They certainly weren't the worst i have seen - Long Eaton, Berkhamsted were worse and a few others were similar...ourselves included on occasions!

We were quite decent in the first half, but then really huffed and puffed in the 2nd half.

Corners seem to be a real issue. Their goal was from close in on an inswinger and they nearly scored from another.
We don't seem to be getting any better at defending them convincingly and it's an obvious tactic for the opposition.

juanillo
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by juanillo » 27 Jan 2024, 19:42

Didn't realise their keeper is the son of ex Fulham and Blues keeper Maik Taylor.

Brightgoldenhaze
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by Brightgoldenhaze » 27 Jan 2024, 19:53

Poor game with one moment of the highest quality from Donnelly. Bromsgrove aren't great, but they're far from the worst side we've seen this season.
I thought Miracle did well when he came on. He occupied their defence much more than Gregs did. He just needs a goal.
40 points now, though. Hopefully everyone is looking up, not down.

Simons
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by Simons » 27 Jan 2024, 20:22

Yes, remarkably with the revised table following Nuneaton's demise, only 4 points of play offs with 15 games left, but 10 of those games are away. Stratford next week will be tough followed by Alvechurch and then Redditch at home

piearce9
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by piearce9 » 27 Jan 2024, 20:51

juanillo wrote:
27 Jan 2024, 19:42
Didn't realise their keeper is the son of ex Fulham and Blues keeper Maik Taylor.
I didn’t know that either! Good knowledge.

Another good performance today - big three points and that’s kinda what we need to do from here, just keep chipping away. Our starting 11 picks itself at the moment, the players are gathering momentum, and the pitches will hopefully keep improving. Taylor looks like a great addition, and Miracle looked more like himself too.

Onto a big game at Stratford next week.

Scribbler
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by Scribbler » 28 Jan 2024, 07:52

Not a great game of football today, but most importantly 3 massive points…..no getting away from the fact that we need a goal scoring striker…..maybe give KD a try in that role? , if you play it on the deck , and we have the players to do that !! The next two games will be hard fought, possession, pace and good,on the deck, football will win the day in these games… forget long ,high balls…and if we can manage two or more points, would be a great achievement….. As for giving goals away from set pieces…. Imo… the goal keeper has to step up to the plate, simple as that, anything in or around his six yard box he has got to come and claim, or at least make a strong attempt to deal with it……. It’s no good standing on your line and hoping the defence will sort it…. Be big and strong…looking forward to the next couple of games… good luck…