Telford Updates

Scores, live updates, discussion etc. on Yeltz matches
Josh1873
Yeltz Forum Member

Re: Telford Updates

Post by Josh1873 » 27 Dec 2023, 12:43

Whilst I don't agree with the 'Smith out' comments, I am growing increasingly concerned at the slide we are on. I'm not convinced he is the man to turn it around. The thing is, this is nothing new with Paul, and this is where my doubts come from.

It's an all too familiar pattern: Start superbly in the first ten games - lose your first game - tinker too much and over think things - can't get back to winning ways - sign a random player on the basis of a good game against us, or one of the go to signings (see Robbie Bunn - this year it is Evo) - still can't turn the form around.

Again, sacking him isn't the right call, but at some point, should poor performances and results continue (4 wins in 14, 3 wins of which are against whipping boys, is not acceptable), then a valid question about the manager has to be asked.

The squad quality is there to earn positive results and push towards a play-off place. We are currently underachieving and something has to change in order to get back to how successful we were in August/September.

I have no qualms with losing to a better team, and Telford were just that, however we were out fought and out worked yesterday. That is unacceptable. We are defensively frail, and have been for far too long, even during our good start we were conceding sloppy goals - why hasn't this been addressed? We look like conceding from every set piece. Where is the organisation? Where is the marking? Why do opponents have so much time on the ball? Why is it so easy for opposition players to run through our midfield? It's really poor right now and nothing is changing. Are we working on defending at training?

I'm worried that we are wasting a talented squad, a great start to the season, and the chance to have a positive season. The platform is still there, but we just can not stand still and let this slide continue. And no, I am not expecting a win every week and a 10/10 performance every week, players are not robots. But I am expecting better results and performances than we are currently seeing. Improvement needed. And quick.

drummyb
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by drummyb » 27 Dec 2023, 13:43

Yeltzbaby wrote:
27 Dec 2023, 12:16
OK deep breath everyone.....and breath pheeewww that's better.

That's more aimed at the absolute bollocks I am reading on social media, twitter etc

I have said before - be very careful what you wish for, it might end up massively biting you on the backside

Smudger out - do me a favour, get a grip fgs
Im not in that camp...BUT....there will come a point where the same issues, game after game, becomes a big problem if they dont get adressed. It might bite us on the backside. It might not. No-one can possibly know that. Crowds will fall off though and that hurts the club. At the minute we're doing well to pull them in.

RobYeltz
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by RobYeltz » 27 Dec 2023, 17:57

Many Yeltz folk have mentioned in the last two or three years or so that we've signed a lot of players capable of playing at this level we're at now. I wouldn't disagree with that, there isn't a single player in the squad that I don't think is capable of playing at this level, but we have to remember over the last two seasons the vast majority of our players have played consistently at the level below where we're at now. We've pinched arguably the best two players locally from that step in Wynter and Miracle but only Parker (relegated Hednesford) and Reece Mitchell (promoted with Rushall) have played last season at this level. Even though players are capable individually at this level, doing it collectively is the issue, many are learning this level, some are learning it at a new team. The likes of Isaac (who I think will be a great addition) is learning a new level at a new team and will need time.

It's noticeable for me that Hayward is the heartbeat of this team, and we miss him when he's not playing, his minutes are clearly being managed at the moment too. With players leaving, I'm hoping that we can bring in players who know this level of football well and can hit the ground running, if they're built like a brick shithouse and can give us a presence in both penalty areas even better. I'd really like to see a central defender, a central midfielder and a striker all experienced at this level to give the likes of Mini, KD, and Jack more time to do their stuff on the ball.

Saying this, I appreciate it isn't football manager and getting this players isn't so easy but if you're a non league footballer in this area, but surely the pull of playing at The Grove in front of 1,000 people every week with a big expectation is what you should be challenging yourself to do? Or maybe playing on a plastic pitch or a mud bath in front of a couple of hundred folk is an easier life...
Proud owner of THREE 'Georges'

The artist previously known as AVFCYELTZ

KenR
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by KenR » 27 Dec 2023, 18:19

with respect Robyeltz, I believe that at least 4 players are not capable of playing at this level especially the top teams and this was illustrated by the poor showing at the bottom of the table team last Saturday, a side that we should have taken apart like Sudbury, Coalville, Mickleover and Stourbr*dge all did at Grange Park but we struggled to gain victory . On Monday against Telford , we were outclassed , similar to our journey to Macclesfield. Early in the season we should have beaten Telford at their place, but it seems that we have not progressed whereas Telford, the side I think will win the league, have come on tremendously. Listening to their manager on Radio Shropshire this morning , he said that on a difficult surface,that was probably their best performance of the season. I think that with the addition of some better players, we should be emulating them. I realise that we have n't got Telfords money to throw about but surely, surely we could do better.

drummyb
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by drummyb » 27 Dec 2023, 18:47

Personally, I think more than half the squad arent good enough. As others have said, we are so small and light, and while that trickery was great to watch, IS great to watch, this division demands that and a bit of strength. Thats where we fall short.

I hate being doom and gloom, because there is skill in abundance and generally its a good group and I want them to do well. But it can be so much better.

Yeltzbaby
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by Yeltzbaby » 28 Dec 2023, 20:39

I am not to sure if all this talk about so and so, 3, 4, 8 players aren't good enough is helpful to the overall squad. I have said similar last season and remain the same this, I understand fans talk, speculate and discuss these issues etc, new higher league, 9th so far, that's OK with me. Look at most clubs who venture into a higher league how are they doing. Ask luton, Sheffield Ltd and Burnley- think they would give their right arm to be 9th. Perspective perspective perspective. Fgs

andy
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by andy » 28 Dec 2023, 21:50

Yeltzbaby wrote:
28 Dec 2023, 20:39
I am not to sure if all this talk about so and so, 3, 4, 8 players aren't good enough is helpful to the overall squad. I have said similar last season and remain the same this, I understand fans talk, speculate and discuss these issues etc, new higher league, 9th so far, that's OK with me. Look at most clubs who venture into a higher league how are they doing. Ask luton, Sheffield Ltd and Burnley- think they would give their right arm to be 9th. Perspective perspective perspective. Fgs
I genuinely don't believe anybody on here is unhappy with 9th. It's the current form. Should we not reverse it we will be 'Luton, Sheffield United and Burnley'. We simply cannot carry on as if it's all ok. I can't put my finger on the reason for the downturn but there has definitely, whether you care to recognise it or not, been one.
Proud owner of FOUR Georges O0 O0 O0 O0

drummyb
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by drummyb » 28 Dec 2023, 21:54

Yeltzbaby wrote:
28 Dec 2023, 20:39
9th is great and speculation is perfectly natural. If we were 9th and performing, half these conversations wouldnt be being had. However, this run of results we are on, IF it continues is relegation form. Thats what people are concerned by and rightly so.

fairweatherfan
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by fairweatherfan » 28 Dec 2023, 23:40

We were 9th in the form table before Saturday. We're down to 15th now, but a win would take us 7th (potentially). I guess I just don't see it as bad as some people do, but everyone is entitled to an opinion.

One thing I will say is that I'm starting to get fed up
by whispers of players moaning about the gaffer. Either fans are making it up (certainly possible, or at the very least employing some artistic license), or the players need to shut up themselves and stop biting the hand that feeds them - 'we always do the same in training' and similar stories aren't helping anything.

drummyb
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by drummyb » 29 Dec 2023, 00:45

If that is true its disappointing as Paul is, publicly, very positive about his players, if not performances. It could just be the pressure causing cracks in the ranks or as you say one dissenting voice thats being latched onto.