Telford Updates

Scores, live updates, discussion etc. on Yeltz matches
Brightgoldenhaze
Yeltz Forum Member

Re: Telford Updates

Post by Brightgoldenhaze » 26 Dec 2023, 17:39

We could have lost that 7-0 and had no complaints. Telford are the best team I've seen this season but we should be more competitive than that.

drummyb
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by drummyb » 26 Dec 2023, 17:41

[*]For me, for all I like the effort the players give, we are effectively competing with players from a league below. Thats fine against the lower end of this league, but the upper end, we can't compete.

I think the early season run was caused by the Promotion bounce. It happens.
Once that settled, we've found our performance level in the league. We will win games, but I expect us to lose more than we win. That will lose fans no doubt, but again, for me, its little steps to build.

I say not close to play offs, simply beacuse overall, we aren't any where near a national league team. The three strikers we have, while they will score, won't end up anywhere the top of the goal scoring charts. Thats the difference

DJ
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by DJ » 26 Dec 2023, 17:43

Southern League Premier Central – Tuesday, 26th December 2023

Halesowen Town 0 AFC Telford United 2

Halesowen fell to a couple of first half goals as Telford extended their long unbeaten run in a business-like performance, writes DJ.

Manager Paul Smith admitted “we were beaten by a better side, full of experience who are on a good run. We were brittle at times, but we dug in, had a couple of good second half chances and worked hard. There wasn’t that much difference between the teams.”

The Yeltz made a bright start and forced two early corners after Richard Gregory poked just wide in the first minute and Telford defender Jordan Piggott headed over his own bar in the 5th minute. Home goalkeeper Dan Platt rushed out smartly to gather low down in the 6th minute and opposite number Brandon Hall then also rushed out to save at Simeon Cobourne’s feet following a good through ball from Isaac Adegoke.

The Bucks took a 19th minute lead in simple fashion when Nathan Fox delivered a right wing corner for Orrin Pendley to head back at the far post allowing Reece STYCHE to flick home on the goal-line. As the well-organised Telford outfit took control, a long-range 27th minute shot from Ellis Brown flew just wide.

Telford doubled their lead in the 35th minute after ex-Yeltz defender Jordan Piggott burst forward and his shot was blocked but Remi WALKER’s crisp finish thumped into the net. Another ex-Yeltz player Montel Gibson flashed a 45th minute shot just wide as Telford ended the half in the ascendancy.

Halesowen started the second half with much more purpose as Jack Holmes thumped into Telford’s side-netting in the 51st minute on his 100th appearance. Telford’s goalkeeper Hall then made the first of two crucial second-half saves to keep out substitute Kieren Donnelly after he connected with a 56th minute cross from Holmes.

But Telford had plenty of opportunities to extend their lead, striking the cross bar three times in the second period. Home goalkeeper Platt touched Gibson’s 56th minute shot onto the bar and just two minutes later Brown rattled the bar with a 20 yard shot.

Gibson and Walker went close yet again before Halesowen brought another terrific save from Hall after home substitute McKauley Manning floated a delightful 79th minute pass through to Donnelly in front of goal. But there was no way through for Halesowen against a composed and solid Telford display and Gibson missed another golden chance for a third goal when he blasted an 83rd minute cross against the Yeltz crossbar in front of an open goal.

Halesowen Town: Dan Platt (c); Josh Ezewele, Reece Mitchell, Todd Parker, Ryan Wynter, Rob Evans, Isaac Adegoke (McKauley Manning 68), Nathan Hayward (Kieren Donnelly 46), Simeon Cobourne (Miracle Okafor 46), Richard Gregory, Jack Holmes. Subs Not Used: Luke Redfern, Caine Elliott.

AFC Telford United: Brandon Hall; Ellis Myles-Tebbutt, Nathan Fox, Jordan Piggott, Orrin Pendley, Fraser Kerr (c), Ellis Brown, Remi Walker (Byron Moore 80), Montel Gibson, Reece Styche (Ricardo Dinanga 86), Jared Hodgkiss. Subs Not Used: George Forsyth, Ty Webster, Steffan Jones.

Referee: James Lunn Attendance: 1,462
Booked: Holmes (43), Hall (68)
Tulleys Print HTFC Man of the Match selected by the Vice-Presidents: Todd Parker

fairweatherfan
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by fairweatherfan » 26 Dec 2023, 17:56

drummyb wrote:
26 Dec 2023, 17:41
[*]For me, for all I like the effort the players give, we are effectively competing with players from a league below. Thats fine against the lower end of this league, but the upper end, we can't compete.

I think the early season run was caused by the Promotion bounce. It happens.
Once that settled, we've found our performance level in the league. We will win games, but I expect us to lose more than we win. That will lose fans no doubt, but again, for me, its little steps to build.

I say not close to play offs, simply beacuse overall, we aren't any where near a national league team. The three strikers we have, while they will score, won't end up anywhere the top of the goal scoring charts. Thats the difference
Oh come, you're getting a bit carried away here. Miracle is having a tough run, but remains a formidable player and will surely come good again. I'd also ask the question (without presuming an answer) about whether we're a team suited for this time of the season (and if the answer is no, then that's a problem with the squad).

For me, our biggest issue remains the absence of any sort of threat from dead ball situations for a few reasons - the lack of goals, yes, but also because it means teams can just worry about the other stuff we *are* good at. For a while I thought it was just a curiosity, but I'm very much coming round to the idea it's a squad issue.

The season is now at something of a crossroads - we can do nothing and it will almost certainly peter out, or alternatively the gaffer can phone round the league and bigger non league clubs to see what they've got available that they're not using (although with the caveat that this needs funds).

All the doom and gloomsters need to give their heads a wobble though!

drummyb
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by drummyb » 26 Dec 2023, 18:08

Thats your opinion. Mine is based on the run of games we are in, which far out numbers the great start, and the prolificacy of our front 3 in this league.. If im wrong, at the end of this season, please feel free to give me a "yah boo you idiot".
Im not slating any of the front 3 by any means. I like all 3. I just think, they wont light this league up. Miracle started well, but thats a long time ago now, and is effectively marked out any game. Theyll get goals, but the top teams will gobble them up. Thats by no means a criticism. For me its like a championship striker playing, say Liverpool.
I said a few games back we need to strengthen.

Dazzie76
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by Dazzie76 » 26 Dec 2023, 18:21

Men v boys there today plenty of possession they let us have with no effect. Pendley their no 5 did he break sweat all afternoon a player I wanted us to sign. What is with the marking on corners is smith still scouting these teams as a centre back never seems to pick up the back post with their centre backs attacking it simple knock down for first goal. To be fair their all short so wouldn't win anything anyway. Took a freind today who couldn't believe how small a side we was and said I predicted 0 3 as I knew how strong they was at the back. I will stop there but jeez things need a good change.

Brightgoldenhaze
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by Brightgoldenhaze » 26 Dec 2023, 18:26

fairweatherfan wrote:
26 Dec 2023, 17:56
drummyb wrote:

For me, our biggest issue remains the absence of any sort of threat from dead ball situations for a few reasons - the lack of goals, yes, but also because it means teams can just worry about the other stuff we *are* good at. For a while I thought it was just a curiosity, but I'm very much coming round to the idea it's a squad issue.
It's been said before, but we're a small team. If we can't play through the opposition then we've got problems. It also makes us vulnerable defending set pieces, as their first goal today showed.

That said, this season is a learning curve. Today was disappointing but it shows us the standard we need to reach.

drummyb
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by drummyb » 26 Dec 2023, 18:31

Brightgoldenhaze wrote:
26 Dec 2023, 18:26
fairweatherfan wrote:
26 Dec 2023, 17:56
drummyb wrote:

It's been said before, but we're a small team. If we can't play through the opposition then we've got problems. It also makes us vulnerable defending set pieces, as their first goal today showed.

That said, this season is a learning curve. Today was disappointing but it shows us the standard we need to reach.
Bang on!!

lutleyyeltz
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by lutleyyeltz » 26 Dec 2023, 19:50

We could have been put to the sword by a side of superior quality and ability.
The final score does not show Telford's dominance, and flatters our poor performance.
The regular comment from the group that I stand with when seeing the size of every team that we play is;" bloody hell, look how big they are."
We lack a physical presence and have have done for the last few seasons.
We desperately need a big striker and central defender, in my humble.
Another failing is regarding corners. We can neither defend them or score from them.
On a positive note the addition of Isaac Adegoke has added energy and drive to midfield.
He was everywhere today and for me was MoM.
A freshening up is is needed with the addition of a couple of players who have played at a higher level.
Thank goodness for our points tally from the early part of the season.
PS: What a shower of numpties their fans proved to be!

Scribbler
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by Scribbler » 26 Dec 2023, 20:17

Well beaten today by a good side , who will be there or there about’s come the end of the season…. It is what it is , we’re struggling to compete against the better six or seven teams in the league and will pick points up from the others… so unless some new players come in, it will remain the case… but we have to get he best out of every player we have, apart from Parker,who is consistently good every game, I feel this is not happening….. starting with our keeper…. At fault for the first goal today, should be on his back post from a corner, ball sailed over his head….. next corner/ cross exact same thing again…. See this happening in a lot of games…. Not saying he’s a bad keeper, but needs some coaching to improve him…. He’s not on his own, imo a lot of players are not playing to their full potential, … still feel if we want to compete at this level we need some better players in , who like Parker, can do it every game..Frustrating…….