Re: Long Eaton Updates

Post by MichaelGrove » 24 Dec 2023, 09:13

Seamus wrote:
24 Dec 2023, 08:43
old git wrote:
23 Dec 2023, 21:05
piearce9 wrote:
23 Dec 2023, 19:46
Not a performance to write home about, but job done with a rotated side and fuel back in the tank with some key players.

Bumpy pitch, cold and windy, was never going to be a classic. Yeltz on top early doors and a deserved lead but some finish to equalise after we failed to clear our lines.

Great finish from Gregs to put us back in front and then saw out the game without too much stress.

Redfern MoM for me, Clive.
Yep Redfern for me too, but young Isaac put in a great shift as well
Could not make it yesterday, but having just listened twice to Paul's post match interview, can anyone tell me who he thought was MoM, the background wind noise seemed all encompassing and I could not make it out.
He said Jack Holmes was his MoM

KenR
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by KenR » 24 Dec 2023, 11:46

good tan Old Git, have you been taking lessons off Westy on computers studies and you tube/

YeltzDoc
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by YeltzDoc » 24 Dec 2023, 11:55

Blowy.

Agree with others in their praise of Redfern, both HH and I commented the same. Gregs could have come in at half-time with a hat-trick. Several occasions when you see that trademark pause, then the foot cocked and the expectation of sprout bag rustleage, only for their keeper to be in the bloody way.
He scored probably his toughest chance but I would have loved to have seen him try the overhead as it came to him. Richter-tastic, and like last night's pissheads, Aftershocks still being felt this morning.

Odd that PS had "Beazer" Holmes as MoM, played a bit deep for me, but the running with the ball still makes the old ticker sing.

Eze looked as good as always, Evo was solid if unspectacular, but 'twas ever thus and it's plenty. Was it just the shirt or did Sim look chunky? Didn't seem to slow him down and a bit of timber might even help (my excuse for 50+ years).

I can't work out what Isaac is yet, I suspect mostly because I neither pay attention nor know what I'm on about. He's spidery-legged and, as Wall Heath's finest pointed out, likes to push the ball slightly too far ahead of him, using the aforementioned arachnoid appendages to catch up and either beat the man or draw the foul. Like my Christmas tree lights, the jury's still out.

A cut-and-paste word for Todd Parker too. Wow. Like dog shit and Villa fans (tautology?), he's everywhere. Get ball. Look. Pass ball to teammate in attacking position. Repeat. x1000. Too good. I spent 5 mins in the second half just watching him. 5*. Would do again.

A few wandered out claiming it was "disgraceful" and "the worst" but I guess you should never drink on an empty head.
On another day it could have been 4-0 or 2-2 but we win that, with that performance, 8 times out of 10.

More-or-less our traditional 8th, a few toughies to come and a sort of B Grade from me for the end of Michaelmas term report.
I'm happy enough, and I wish the nils satis nisi optimum brigade a season of festive reflection, and a sprig of holly up the arse.

:-*

lutleyyeltz
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by lutleyyeltz » 24 Dec 2023, 12:11

Is the holly with berries, or without?

410viawednesbury
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by 410viawednesbury » 24 Dec 2023, 12:29

YeltzDoc wrote:
24 Dec 2023, 11:55
Blowy.

Agree with others in their praise of Redfern, both HH and I commented the same. Gregs could have come in at half-time with a hat-trick. Several occasions when you see that trademark pause, then the foot cocked and the expectation of sprout bag rustleage, only for their keeper to be in the bloody way.
He scored probably his toughest chance but I would have loved to have seen him try the overhead as it came to him. Richter-tastic, and like last night's pissheads, Aftershocks still being felt this morning.

Odd that PS had "Beazer" Holmes as MoM, played a bit deep for me, but the running with the ball still makes the old ticker sing.

Eze looked as good as always, Evo was solid if unspectacular, but 'twas ever thus and it's plenty. Was it just the shirt or did Sim look chunky? Didn't seem to slow him down and a bit of timber might even help (my excuse for 50+ years).

I can't work out what Isaac is yet, I suspect mostly because I neither pay attention nor know what I'm on about. He's spidery-legged and, as Wall Heath's finest pointed out, likes to push the ball slightly too far ahead of him, using the aforementioned arachnoid appendages to catch up and either beat the man or draw the foul. Like my Christmas tree lights, the jury's still out.

A cut-and-paste word for Todd Parker too. Wow. Like dog shit and Villa fans (tautology?), he's everywhere. Get ball. Look. Pass ball to teammate in attacking position. Repeat. x1000. Too good. I spent 5 mins in the second half just watching him. 5*. Would do again.

A few wandered out claiming it was "disgraceful" and "the worst" but I guess you should never drink on an empty head.
On another day it could have been 4-0 or 2-2 but we win that, with that performance, 8 times out of 10.

More-or-less our traditional 8th, a few toughies to come and a sort of B Grade from me for the end of Michaelmas term report.
I'm happy enough, and I wish the nils satis nisi optimum brigade a season of festive reflection, and a sprig of holly up the arse.

:-*
Love this. Could we possibly have more of these reviews in the future? Stirling work and appreciated by this layman.

andy
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by andy » 24 Dec 2023, 15:49

Ditto 410viawednesbury. Who'd have thunk the long haired hippy of yesteryear was actually such an eloquent soul. Well to be fair I've always known it, but the onset of age, cynicism and hilarious view of life make it book worthy. Stop jetting off round the world pretending to work and write one!
By the way who was the radio 5 reporter whose after match ramblings used to make you feel like he'd rehearsed his 'story' for days yet it was only about 10 past 5?
By the way again, Happy Christmas
Proud owner of FOUR Georges O0 O0 O0 O0

YeltzDoc
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by YeltzDoc » 24 Dec 2023, 17:07

I blush.

I try to put something up if I’ve been. Not very journalistic, more like disjointed jottings.
In the style of the ellipsis king, Scribbler, but maybe a bit more of a poetic bent. (You are).

More reportage in yesterday’s - generally the narrative thread is inversely proportional to my hangover.
A light dusting and it has some value but a real katzenjammer and the obscurity of the references and levels of self-indulgence can be off the chart.

Glad to hear at this time when fat, bearded blokes are supposed to bring some joy, that I’m keeping my end up.

YeltzDoc
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by YeltzDoc » 24 Dec 2023, 17:35

andy wrote:
24 Dec 2023, 15:49
By the way who was the radio 5 reporter whose after match ramblings used to make you feel like he'd rehearsed his 'story' for days yet it was only about 10 past 5?
The Yeltz near name-a-like, Stuart Hall.

A national treasure at one time, although the comparison is somewhat less of a compliment nowadays.
Not so much holly tree as Yewtree…

There’s a bloke on the “great” BCR who fancies himself in the same envelope (the prose-ry, not the ponce-ry) but, as is de rigueur for that outlet, promise falls short.

andy
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by andy » 24 Dec 2023, 18:34

YeltzDoc wrote:
24 Dec 2023, 17:35
andy wrote:
24 Dec 2023, 15:49
The Yeltz near name-a-like, Stuart Hall.

A national treasure at one time, although the comparison is somewhat less of a compliment nowadays.
Not so much holly tree as Yewtree…

Gosh of course it was. Shame he kind of tarnished his legacy...
Proud owner of FOUR Georges O0 O0 O0 O0