Kettering Updates

Scores, live updates, discussion etc. on Yeltz matches
Josh1873
Yeltz Forum Member

Re: Kettering Updates

Post by Josh1873 » 18 Dec 2023, 10:25

I am still pleased with our league position - I'd have bitten your hand off for where we are when we kicked off in August. That is not in question. However, we can only hide behind the excellent start for so long before questions have asked and criticism becomes valid. Fans should not be moaned at for being critical of the recent run of results and performances.

Since our first defeat in the league against Bromsgrove we have won 3 in the last 12 league games. Two of those wins were against teams sitting in 21st and 22nd. I'm worried that this is something more worrying than a dip in form. It is now concerning me, to the point where I need to see changes. By changes I don't mean sacking the manager or anything so drastic. That's ridiculous. I do want to see an improvement in performances, which have been below our standards for too long now. Were we poor on Saturday? I don't think so. It was a scrappy old game. Neither keeper had much to do by way of being made to make saves. We weren't great, either. We're missing a spark, confidence and our swagger. It's just evaporated.

It doesn't need anything revolutionary. A change in selection - Eze needs to start games, as does Gregory and Holmes. Miracle needs taking out of the line-up and resting. Maybe make 2-3 signings while moving on a couple of players just to freshen things up. A change in formation and tactics, as the current 4-3-3, or 4-5-1, whatever you call it, is not working.

It's a strange one to sum up how I feel. The league position is superb. But the performances and results over the last 2 months, or so, have been poor. We're in danger of missing out on a great season by not arresting this slump. Something has to give otherwise we'll waste a potentially fantastic season. It's frustrating to witness as the talent in the squad is there. It's just not being utilised to its full potential.

KenR
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by KenR » 18 Dec 2023, 11:13

GREAT post mr Josh and I fully emphasis with your sentiments and frustrations.

nathanr999
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by nathanr999 » 19 Dec 2023, 08:42

Agree Josh. Some perspective is needed really on our position for sure. Never expected to be pushing in playoff position and mid table was my pre season expectation. However we do look unbalanced and Josh Ezewele must be at a loss as to why he isn't one of 1st names on team sheet. He was my player of last season . Greg's was injured at season start so can understand him being on sidelines and then as a sub but for at least 2 months it has been clear Miracle needs a holding man next to.hm to maximise his threat and gregs does this all day long with great aplomb and weighs I with some not inconsiderable goals too. Jack and.Manning are great to watch but can be a luxury in some games. Manning can also be infuriating in equal amounts and should be nowhere near taking corners. This is one area we do need to improve and this comes at no real cost just some practice and drilling. Isaac looks decent and brings some height and seems tenacious We also need to bring in 1 or 2 harder, barstewardy players for some games 1 for defence and 1.for midfield especially if we face a team of brick outhouses.i feel we lack some height and.muscle with some of our.more technically adept players. No need to do too much and can be done over the rest of season but getting set pieces right esp corner delivery and cutting some fancy dannery should be a major focus now. I have faith in smith and not sure who we would ever replace him with to.improve things. Up the yeltz

TractionJackson
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by TractionJackson » 19 Dec 2023, 14:51

One point I'd make is that "the league table is great but we are playing terrible and need to make changes" line was used a lot last season too.

Doesn't make it wrong, just amusing how things never change.

piearce9
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by piearce9 » 19 Dec 2023, 18:54

Many good points on this thread (even Josh's ;D ).

The only frustration I have is probably the same as everyone else's - performances so far this season haven't fully been reflected in the results. Saturday is another game we shouldn't have lost. We keep finding ourselves on the wrong side of fortune - plenty of games where we've been unlucky and not many where you could say we got away with it.

Rich
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by Rich » 19 Dec 2023, 20:56

RobYeltz wrote:
17 Dec 2023, 21:01
My thoughts/observations.

We've scored one goal all season from a corner. We've conceded three goals in the last two games from corners. Every week I seem to look at the opposition and think "These are a big side". They're not always, they're just bigger than us. We've got Jack, Mini, Hicky, Sim, Parker, Mitchell, Elliott - all good players with different skills and attributes they bring to the squad, but being a good headerers of the ball isn't one of them. Only Wynter I would consider as being dominant in the air. I could throw Evo in there too but he's only played 45 minutes in the BSC. We will always be vulnerable to conceding goals from set pieces if the opposition are clever enough to put balls into areas where Wynter isn't. Especially now Kieron Morris isn't around. I like Redfern, he's a very composed player, but he looks the type who would be better in a back 3, rather than a back 4.

Up top, Greg's gives us some physical presence up the top, he's a clever player whose movement is excellent, we desperately need to find a formation that allows him to take some of the work off Miracle. Miracle's strength isn't playing back to goal and holding it up, he's better on the half turn, with balls into spaces down the side or behind. He would improve massively learning off Gregs and watching his decision making, Gregs would talk him through a game too and help him with his decision making.

If the results we have had, had been spread across the season so far, we would all be happy with where we're at. Unfortunately the good start has raised expectations. Hopefully Long Eaton will see us pick up a win on our travels.
Excellent post Rob. Agree with most apart from think we need to play Greggs instead of not with Miracle.
Thought especially first half our corners (think from Mini?) were much better. Whipped in lower and faster rather than just hung up. Nothing came from them but they certainly were more threatening

Brightgoldenhaze
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by Brightgoldenhaze » 19 Dec 2023, 21:14

At least we're in better form than Mickleover. 3-0 down at Stamford..