Berkhampsted

Scores, live updates, discussion etc. on Yeltz matches
juanillo
Yeltz Forum Member

Re: Berkhampsted

Post by juanillo » 18 Nov 2023, 17:58

It shouldn't have been a nervy finish against one of the weaker teams in this division.

Platt caused a problem for their goal with a poor punch out when it ought to have been a relatively straightforward catch.

They were already lumping it long and their route one approach could have made us rue the missed chances and not making the game safe long before the end.

juanillo
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by juanillo » 18 Nov 2023, 18:00

The crowd was about double the figure for Barwell.

It does help when neither Villa nor Albion are playing, but it was a good turn out nonetheless.

DJ
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by DJ » 18 Nov 2023, 18:08

Southern League Premier Central – Saturday, 18th November 2023

Halesowen Town 2 Berkhamsted 1

Two goals in three minutes mid-way through the first half gave Halesowen a much-needed win, writes DJ.

Prior to the kick-off, a one-minute silence was held in remembrance of volunteer and supporter Dave Phillips, who passed away recently.

Yeltz manager Paul Smith considered his 150th game in charge. “I’ve loved every second of the 150 games. Today it was crucial to get back on a winning streak and I thought we thoroughly deserved victory with the result a fair reflection. We haven’t taken the chances our great work deserved but it was all about getting three points in a must-win game with tough games to come.”

Both teams went into the game out of form with Halesowen without victory in six games and second-bottom Berkhamsted without a league win since opening day of the season.

In a quiet start, Miracle Okafor was put clear on goal in the 9th minute but he planted his low shot well wide. Berkhamsted’s main threats were based on long throw-ins from Adam Martin, resulting in home goalkeeper Dan Platt collecting Daniel Newton’s back header after 17 minutes.

Halesowen then took control by striking two goals from two excellent moves within three minutes.
Jack Holmes and Okafor combined to allow Josh Ezewele to cross from the right for Kieren DONNELLY to turn home the 25th minute opening goal. The Yeltz sent a great ball out of defence to McKauley Manning in the 28th minute and he set up Nathan Hayward to put the ball across goal from the left, giving OKAFOR the simple task of rolling home the second goal.

With the Yeltz in control, Todd Parker fired a low 36th minute shot at goalkeeper Jamie Head and Head collected Manning’s 45th minute effort.

After the break Head made a good save from Hayward’s 18 yard shot and Manning made another great 53rd minute weaving run into the penalty area. Reece Mitchell then started and finished a fine 57th minute move, combining with Okafor, but his effort was ruled offside. In further pressure, Holmes was blocked for a 61st minute corner after he was set up by Todd Parker and Manning’s 71st minute long range shot was parried into safety by Head.

But Halesowen didn’t capitalise on all their chances and it was goalkeeper Platt who saved the day with a crucial 78th minute goal-line stop at the end of another long throw-in.

The Comrades plugged away and pulled a goal back in the 85th minute when another long throw-in was punched by Platt but not properly cleared and Matthew BATEMAN turned in the box to fire home after the ball was played back into the danger area.

Halesowen Town: Dan Platt (c); Josh Ezewele, Reece Mitchell, Todd Parker, Ryan Wynter, Kieran Morris, Kieren Donnelly, Nathan Hayward, Miracle Okafor (Simeon Cobourne 84), Jack Holmes (Jak Hickman 74), McKauley Manning. Subs Not Used: Ethan Green, Luke Redfern, George Cater.

Berkhamsted: Jamie Head (c); James Towell (Conner Toomey 89), Thomas Silford (Anthony Ball 41), Daniel Newton, Samuel McClelland, Adam Martin, Kyal Williams, Jordon Frederick, Matthew Bateman, Sami Bessadi, Lewis Johnson (Max Bustamante MacAire 87). Subs Not Used: Aaron Austin, Mark Riddick.

Referee: Edgar Brown Attendance: 1,140
Booked: Towell (67), Martin (79)
Tulleys Print HTFC Man of the Match selected by Ethan Green: Kieren Donnelly
Non-League Paper Man of the Match: McKauley Manning

Seamus
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by Seamus » 18 Nov 2023, 18:38

Did I read DJ's report correctly?

Our substitute selected the Man of the Match!

410viawednesbury
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by 410viawednesbury » 18 Nov 2023, 19:10

I'll take the win. The intensity wasn't quite there but endeavour was, so you can't have everything.
Missing Gregory for me. The link up play, he produced against Nuneaton Borough, gave us a great platform to work off, despite the loss. Onwards to the next.........

andy
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by andy » 18 Nov 2023, 20:22

Seamus wrote:
18 Nov 2023, 18:38

Erm, no.
Proud owner of FOUR Georges O0 O0 O0 O0

Yeltzbaby
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by Yeltzbaby » 18 Nov 2023, 20:33

Phew panic over for now. Good win, 3 points off 3rd. Very good start to our campaign

Rich
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by Rich » 18 Nov 2023, 21:07

YESSSS!!! 3points ;D
Again thought first half was very good and 2 good goals plus a few other good chances.
Just like Tuesday we dropped off in the second half a bit. Put pressure on ourselves when the scored but credit to the guys for holding out.

Think this is our best 11 but maybe formation tweeked slightly?

Who was this Green who was sub and what has happened to Boothe, not in squad and no sign of him warming up with lads?
presume Greggs injury kept him out and Hawks still ill?

Slight distraction on Tuesday at the Lye but they doing extremely well so will be a good test for us.

Tough one for MOM as plenty had good game but again the Hayward/Parker combo stood out for me

drummyb
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by drummyb » 18 Nov 2023, 21:25

Im actually looking forward to Lye. I aint been there since a boxing day game in the 80's, when it was bitterly cold in my xmas jumper.

Plus it's local and good test of how we have progressed as a squad.

DJ
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by DJ » 18 Nov 2023, 21:59

Seamus wrote:
18 Nov 2023, 18:38

Just a coincidence with match sponsor Ethan Green having the same name as a new signing from the academy.