St Ives Updates

Scores, live updates, discussion etc. on Yeltz matches
old git
Yeltz Forum Member

Re: St Ives Updates

Post by old git » 13 Nov 2023, 07:25

RobYeltz wrote:
12 Nov 2023, 20:10
It's no coincidence that most of our poorest performances have come when Nathan Hayward isn't playing. He's the heartbeat of this team.

I'm not convinced we lost so poorly yesterday because of our formation, we lost because we didn't defend well enough and didn't cause them any worry when we were in front of their goal (in the first half). We looked like a team that thought we only had to turn up to win. To concede so many goals in such a short space of time was criminal, when that second one went in we really needed to just make sure we just didn't concede again and hang on until half time - we never really got to grips with their long throw, and even when we won the first ball we rarely won the second ball. Whether the sun was in their eyes and made a difference I don't know but the first half was miles off what the expectation was.

Credit to the players and management at the end, it wasn't just a 'come over towards us and clap', they literally came right over to the fans at the fence and spoke to us, apologised, shook hands and thanked us for our support face to face. You might argue it's the least they could have done, but they fronted up to it and held up their hands to a very poor performance. I guess we'll see how much it hurt by our performance on Tuesday night.
Must admit that losing the toss and defending a blinding sun straight down the pitch cost us dearly. Also couldn’t agree more about second balls…could count on one hand how many we won all afternoon. Thin margins in this league between hammering the opposition and getting hammered.

Rich
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by Rich » 13 Nov 2023, 10:06

The second half performance at least shows pride and fight within the group.
Agree 100% about Hayward being vital to us. Think he also brings the best out of Parker.
Just need to get a settled back 4 I think, a few clean sheets then we can push on again.
Not too sure if like other years we actually know our best formation/line up but I have complete faith in the Management tean sorting it out and getting us out of this winless streak.

lutleyyeltz
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by lutleyyeltz » 13 Nov 2023, 14:04

I fully agree with your last paragraph, Rich.
This is not the time for knee jerk reactions and calls for management restructure.
We've seen what a cock up the government makes with a reshuffle!