St Ives Updates

Scores, live updates, discussion etc. on Yeltz matches
fairweatherfan
Yeltz Forum Member

Re: St Ives Updates

Post by fairweatherfan » 11 Nov 2023, 17:22

The issue today was, as on Tuesday, the formation. Playing with three at the back does not suit us, and while he seems a top bloke, I'm no longer sure Hawker is much of an asset.

No need to panic. Go back to a 4231, pick Hayward, and recall Elliot from his loan. There will be a lot of overreacting tonight. None of it is necessary. If we finish mid table, that will be a good result, but I still think play offs is realistic as long as we stop hurting ourselves.

Jefftoad76
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by Jefftoad76 » 11 Nov 2023, 17:34

Didnt go so cant comment on the game,but from what ive seen this season we look far too small and lightweight to compete when the going gets tough compared to other teams wev played against and we dont seem to work as hard as other teams do when we are not in possession.and not enough pace and strength throughout the team .not sure what hawker,cater,hickman bring to the team we just seems so one paced with no plan b

Dazzie76
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by Dazzie76 » 11 Nov 2023, 17:39

I said 12th to 14th place finish for us this season I still think that will be about right for the squad we have. 2 winnable home games coming up before 3 very tough fixtures. Put it behind us and move on

DJ
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by DJ » 11 Nov 2023, 17:50

Southern League Premier Central – Saturday, 11th November 2023

St. Ives Town 4 Halesowen Town 2

Halesowen crashed to a heavy defeat after conceding four goals in a nightmare first half at in-form St Ives, writes DJ.

Yeltz manager Paul Smith pulled no punches at the first-half performance. “Firstly, there’s a need to apologise to our brilliant fans. It was possibly the worst half of football in my time at the club. We were under pressure to put in a performance, but it was inept. I won’t take the brunt for the first half, it was disgraceful. Players need to understand what a lucky place it is to be at this club.”

St Ives went into the game on the back of four straight wins in all competitions in contrast fortune to Halesowen who were without a win in four.

An early mistake let in Jonny Edwards for St. Ives, but he was blocked in the 7th minute and Brandon Njoku also headed wide. For lack-lustre Halesowen, Kieran Morris glanced a 14th minute header wide from Josh Hawker’s free-kick and home goalkeeper Eddie Brearey pushed away Todd Parker’s 17th minute shot.

But after the first half hour of few chances on the 3g surface, the Yeltz collapsed as St Ives struck four goals in a fifteen minute spell at the end of the first half. Long throw-ins by Aaron Smith from the left had already caused danger and a 31st minute throw-in from the left wasn’t cleared leaving Josh TOMLINSON to prod home the opening goal for the Saints.

Five minutes later the danger came from the right as captain Michael Richens crossed to find Edwards in space and although his shot was blocked, unmarked NJOKU had the simple task of converting the second goal from close range.

Although Halesowen’s Richard Gregory headed over the bar from a Jack Homes corner, worse soon followed for the Yeltz. EDWARDS was sent clear on goal in the 45th minute and he lobbed over goalkeeper Dan Platt to make it 3-0 to St. Ives. Edwards then crossed from the left for NJOKU to head home to add a fourth goal in simple style in the third minute of first half stoppage time.

Shell-shocked Halesowen were much better in the second period and pulled back two consolation goals. Parker curled over the bar in the 57th minute and substitute Kieren Donnelly fired into Ives’ side-netting after an hour. McKauley Manning then fired just past the post in the 63rd minute. Richens thought he’d added a fifth goal for St Ives when he volleyed home after 75 minutes but his effort was ruled out for offside.

Miracle OKAFOR finally headed home after Halesowen worked a short corner from the left in the 77th minute and there was still time for the Yeltz to reduce the arrears further at 4-2 in the 90th minute when substitute George Cater threaded the ball for fellow substitute Simeon COBOURNE to convert with a wide-angled shot from the right.

St Ives Town: Eddie Brearey; Luke Harris, Aaron Smith, Michael Richens (c), Jordan Williams, Paddy Casey, Dan Barton (Ed Hottor 12), Myles Cowling (Ben Mensah 76), Jonny Edwards, Brandon Njoku, Josh Tomlinson (Sam Tessler 65). Subs Not Used: Greg Kaziboni, Tiago Nassunculo.

Halesowen Town: Dan Platt (c); Josh Ezewele, Luke Redfern, Todd Parker, Ryan Wynter, Kieran Morris, Jack Holmes (Simeon Cobourne 66), Josh Hawker (George Cater 46), Miracle Okafor, Richard Gregory (Kieren Donnelly 46), McKauley Manning. Subs Not Used: Jak Hickman, Reece Mitchell.

Referee: Elliott Mayer Attendance: 482
Booked: Hawker (26), Cowling (68), Donnelly (76)

fairweatherfan
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by fairweatherfan » 11 Nov 2023, 17:59

Hmm, I'm usually a fairly staunch opponent of the 'Smith Out' brigade (they're only ever in hibernation), but he needs to accept some responsibility here himself. He picked that side and put them out in that formation, no one else.

drummyb
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by drummyb » 11 Nov 2023, 18:14

fairweatherfan wrote:
11 Nov 2023, 17:22
The issue today was, as on Tuesday, the formation. Playing with three at the back does not suit us, and while he seems a top bloke, I'm no longer sure Hawker is much of an asset.

No need to panic. Go back to a 4231, pick Hayward, and recall Elliot from his loan. There will be a lot of overreacting tonight. None of it is necessary. If we finish mid table, that will be a good result, but I still think play offs is realistic as long as we stop hurting ourselves.
Yeah. I think the gaffer like the formation on Tuesday, so I get why he persisted. Clearly came undone today. Agree with Hawks. Thought he was brilliant in his first stint, but he doesnt drive midfield like Hayward does. I dont think its panic stations yet, but we cannot afford too many more defeats or morale slumps. I do think we need a couple of hard shitbags in the team though. Theyre all nice blokes but no-one makes you think ooof when they tackle.

Dazzie76
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by Dazzie76 » 11 Nov 2023, 18:20

Teams have been better than us in both boxes that's the difference sometimes it's about fine adjustments sometimes it needs big changes. Look at Telford they were struggling at the start of the season now after snapping up Sam Whithall from rushall there flying and not concededing goals, they will take some stopping in my opinion now.

piearce9
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by piearce9 » 11 Nov 2023, 19:23

fairweatherfan wrote:
11 Nov 2023, 17:22

Agree with this comment from top to bottom. Got to give the manager some credit for at least changing it around at half time and we were so much better second half. Had we have started the game with 4231 or 4141, then I think we’d have won that today.

410viawednesbury
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by 410viawednesbury » 11 Nov 2023, 21:07

We need another midfielder of the Bradley Birch variety!

RobYeltz
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by RobYeltz » 12 Nov 2023, 20:10

It's no coincidence that most of our poorest performances have come when Nathan Hayward isn't playing. He's the heartbeat of this team.

I'm not convinced we lost so poorly yesterday because of our formation, we lost because we didn't defend well enough and didn't cause them any worry when we were in front of their goal (in the first half). We looked like a team that thought we only had to turn up to win. To concede so many goals in such a short space of time was criminal, when that second one went in we really needed to just make sure we just didn't concede again and hang on until half time - we never really got to grips with their long throw, and even when we won the first ball we rarely won the second ball. Whether the sun was in their eyes and made a difference I don't know but the first half was miles off what the expectation was.

Credit to the players and management at the end, it wasn't just a 'come over towards us and clap', they literally came right over to the fans at the fence and spoke to us, apologised, shook hands and thanked us for our support face to face. You might argue it's the least they could have done, but they fronted up to it and held up their hands to a very poor performance. I guess we'll see how much it hurt by our performance on Tuesday night.
Proud owner of THREE 'Georges'

The artist previously known as AVFCYELTZ