Yeltz Forum Member

Re: Stratford Town updates

Post by Johnny Bud » 23 Sep 2023, 17:05

Full time: 2.0

andy
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by andy » 23 Sep 2023, 17:31

Another confident and hard working performance. Stratford were proving very difficult to break down with their own hard work but we persisted with playing neat intricate football and you just knew a goal would come. Two great finishes from Miracle and it's game over. As an aside, and I know it's difficult to compare sides over the ages, and we are a level lower, but I'm going to put myself there to be shot at. I think this side are up there with the side of '96. It may yet all go up in flames but I've a feeling it won't. Bring it on!
Proud owner of FOUR Georges O0 O0 O0 O0

Rich
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by Rich » 23 Sep 2023, 17:35

Never really got into our stride today but credit to Stratford who worked hard.
they did a good job of stopping Jack and Mini but credit to the boys they kept at it and 2 great finishes from Miracle.
can only think of 1 save Platty had to make.
Thought the ref today was dreadful. No booking for guy who 'assaulted' (gaffers words) Hickman set the tone for the day.
MOM for me by a mile today was Parker. Thought he was immense.

old git
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by old git » 23 Sep 2023, 17:38

andy wrote:
23 Sep 2023, 17:31
As an aside, and I know it's difficult to compare sides over the ages, and we are a level lower, but I'm going to put myself there to be shot at. I think this side are up there with the side of '96. It may yet all go up in flames but I've a feeling it won't. Bring it on!
Exactly what I said Andy but this time I think we are stronger in squad

juanillo
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by juanillo » 23 Sep 2023, 17:51

After a scrappy first half, I thought we dominated the second half and it was good to see our passing game getting much the better of their more physical approach.

Stratford didn't offer much going forward all game and they barely had a shot in the second half.

I thought we were effective out of possession, played some really good moves at pace in the second half and could easily have won by more.

Brightgoldenhaze
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by Brightgoldenhaze » 23 Sep 2023, 17:52

Rich wrote:
23 Sep 2023, 17:35
Thought the ref today was dreadful. No booking for guy who 'assaulted' (gaffers words) Hickman set the tone for the day.
Their number 11 should have been booked three times (ignoring the constant chuntering at the ref). They're a physical side Stratford, but once we got a grip on that, there was only going to be one winner.

andy
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by andy » 23 Sep 2023, 17:58

old git wrote:
23 Sep 2023, 17:38
andy wrote:
23 Sep 2023, 17:31
As an aside, and I know it's difficult to compare sides over the ages, and we are a level lower, but I'm going to put myself there to be shot at. I think this side are up there with the side of '96. It may yet all go up in flames but I've a feeling it won't. Bring it on!
Exactly what I said Andy but this time I think we are stronger in squad
Yeah I think you're right John. It's so difficult to compare, what with rose tinted glasses and all that, but certainly the enjoyment of the football on show is right up there with it to me. If nothing else we can say this is the best side we've had since then.

andy
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by andy » 23 Sep 2023, 18:02

juanillo wrote:
23 Sep 2023, 17:51
After a scrappy first half, I thought we dominated the second half and it was good to see our passing game getting much the better of their more physical approach.
Stafford set up to make life very difficult for us but even in the first half we never resorted to anything other than trying to wear them down with our confidence and belief that quality football would tell in the end. It was never scrappy on our part.

DJ
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by DJ » 23 Sep 2023, 18:14

Southern League Premier Central – Saturday, 23rd September 2023

Halesowen Town 2 Stratford Town 0

Another brace from star striker Miracle Okafor made it five straight September wins for unbeaten Halesowen, writes David Johnson.

Yeltz manager Paul Smith analysed the game as very different to the challenges faced so far. “It’s my favourite win of the season, they didn’t lay a glove on us. We had to show a different side of our game against a strong, physical side, so I’m really pleased with today’s performance. We’re a footballing side - we weren’t able to do so in the first half, but we rolled our sleeves up and won the battle.”

The first half did indeed prove to be more perspiration than inspiration for second-placed Halesowen against Stratford’s more direct and robust approach.

The Yeltz suffered an early blow when Jak Hickman limped off the field after just 6 minutes following an earlier foul, to be replaced by Luke Redfern. Halesowen then almost conceded an own goal when Reece Mitchell’s 8th minute back header caused a misunderstanding with his own goalkeeper Dan Platt with Platt furiously back-pedalling to scoop the ball off the goal line.

The Bards stifled the Yeltz throughout much of the first period, although McKauley Manning fired just past the post from almost 30 yards after 31 minutes. Jack Holmes was then brought down on the edge of Stratford’s area in the 38th minute but Miracle Okafor struck the free-kick against the defensive wall.

OKAFOR finally broke the deadlock with a superb 40th minute strike when he sidestepped Stratford’s vastly experienced central defence and smashed an unstoppable shot past Stratford goalkeeper Liam O’Brien.

The Yeltz got to grips fully to control play in the second half and Mitchell forced the first of two corners soon after the break. Kieren Donnelly went close when he nipped in to steal the ball and worked clear on goal only for O’Brien to save at his feet after 69 minutes. Just a minute later Holmes and Donnelly combined to both go close within the six yard box.

OKAFOR doubled the lead to seal another three points for Halesowen with his second of the game and tenth goal of the season when he beat O’Brien with a 15 yard shot after being set up by Holmes in the 73rd minute.

Halesowen Town: Dan Platt (c); Jak Hickman (Luke Redfern 6), Reece Mitchell, Todd Parker, Ryan Wynter, Kieran Morris, Kieren Donnelly, Nathan Hayward (Simeon Cobourne 78), Miracle Okafor, Jack Holmes (Caine Elliott 74), McKauley Manning. Subs Not Used: Richard Gregory, Ryan Boothe.

Stratford Town: Liam O’Brien; Daniel Vann, Chris Hussey, Liam Daly, Paul McCone (c), Babatomiwa Solanke, Charlie Williams (Alex Worley 70), Lewis Ludford-Ison, Jack Storer, Daniel Lafferty (Kasonga Ngandu 54), Riley O’Sullivan. Subs Not Used: Louis Beresford (GK), Taylor Morrison, Jaylan Wildbore.

Referee: Martyn Gospel Attendance: 1,112
Booked: Ludford-Ison (65), Elliott (77), O’Sullivan (89)
Tulleys Print HTFC Man of the Match selected by ACE Embroidery: Miracle Okafor
Non-League Paper Man of the Match: Miracle Okafor

markb
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by markb » 23 Sep 2023, 18:17

A major factor this season is that there is a very settled team ….. little or no tinkering and every player knows exactly what is required of them …… Paul Smith needs more praise than he is getting