Stamford Updates

Scores, live updates, discussion etc. on Yeltz matches
piearce9
Yeltz Forum Member

Re: Stamford Updates

Post by piearce9 » 09 Sep 2023, 18:11

I seem to be saying this every week but it’s another superb performance (and one that was thankfully rewarded with three points).

Stamford are a tough side, as we all know, however we were well on top and it was just a case of taking a chance. Sim’s entrance against tired legs was what made the difference.

Onto Tuesday and we have every reason to be positive and take the game to them at their place.

drummyb
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by drummyb » 09 Sep 2023, 18:25

I think again a very, very composed performance. All work for each other, and very much the work ethic we saw in Paul's first season. I hope we (fans) dont start putting to much expectation on their shoulders, but for now, Im enjoying what I see.

DJ
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by DJ » 09 Sep 2023, 18:27

Southern League Premier Central – Saturday, 9th September 2023

Halesowen Town 2 Stamford AFC 0

Simeon Cobourne stepped off the substitute’s bench to strike a late brace to turn Halesowen’s dominance into goals and send the unbeaten Yeltz into third place, writes DJ.

Yeltz manager Paul Smith remains delighted with Halesowen’s impressive start to the season. “It was close in the first half, but we camped in their half after the break. We have a strong squad and those coming off the bench are making the difference. It’s now 6 clean sheets from 8 games. Today was our toughest test of the season but in my opinion we were head and shoulders better.”

Both newly promoted sides started the game unbeaten in league as rivalries were renewed in the punishing heat. Halesowen forced two corners in the opening minute and home goalkeeper Dan Platt then saved Lee Shaw’s low 3rd minute shot smartly. But it proved to be Stamford’s only real effort of the afternoon. Kieren Donnelly headed a deep cross into Stamford’s side-netting and Caine Elliott’s 19th minute low shot was turned around the post by Stamford goalkeeper Daniel Haystead. McKauley Manning flashed another shot wide on his 100th Yeltz appearance and Haystead tipped Kieran Morris’s 36th minute header over the bar from Todd Parker’s free-kick.

The Yeltz had the better of the first period, but chances remained at a premium with both defences looking solid. In the final minute of the first-half Manning and Miracle Okafor advanced down the left with Jak Hickman flicking at Haystead and Todd Parker then burst forward only to see his low shot turned away for a corner with Stamford proving hard to unlock.

Halesowen turned up the heat after the interval and a dangerous 46th minute cross from Hickman flashed across Stamford’s goal. Okafor then chased a long 49th minute ball down the left and set up substitute Jack Holmes but the resulting handball appeal from his shot was denied. Okafor couldn’t convert another Donnelly cross after 53 minutes before he cut in to force goalkeeper Haystead into a fingertip save. Okafor then smashed into the side-netting just a minute later.

The introduction of Cobourne in the 63rd minute finally changed the game in Halesowen’s favour and the writing was on the wall when Haystead tipped Cobourne’s 66th minute shot over the bar after Holmes was blocked.

COBOURNE finally broke the deadlock to unpick the Daniels’ defence when he met a long clearance forward and planted a calm, low 73rd minute finish past Haystead. COBOURNE doubled the lead just six minutes later when he latched onto another long ball and beat Haystead with a luxuriant lob. The Yeltz continued to battle brilliantly to deny any chance of the Daniels recovering in the dying minutes.

Halesowen Town: Dan Platt (c); Jak Hickman, Reece Mitchell, Todd Parker, Ryan Wynter, Kieran Morris, Kieren Donnelly, Nathan Hayward, Miracle Okafor (Ryan Boothe 87), Caine Elliott (Simeon Cobourne 63), McKauley Manning (Jack Holmes 46). Subs Not Used: Luke Redfern, Richard Gregory.

Stamford AFC: Daniel Haystead; Joe Burgess, Connor Bartle (Bill Bennett 75), Harry Vince (c), Ashton Offler, James Blunden, Lee Shaw, Michael Armstrong, Jack Duffy, Ricky Miller (Oliver Brown-Hill 59), Tremayne Charles (Harry Wood 59). Sub Not Used: Marshall Willock, Jon Challinor.

Referee: Richard Walker Attendance: 1,031
Booked: Manning (14), Charles (40), Donnelly (82)
Tulleys Print HTFC Man of the Match selected by Alfie’s Amigos: Simeon Cobourne
Non-League Paper Man of the Match: Simeon Cobourne

Scribbler
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by Scribbler » 09 Sep 2023, 19:24

A great game, credit to both sets of players for putting on a great performance, in searing heat… credit to the ground staff as the pitch was fantastic and played really well… not a lot between the sides in the first half, but the introduction of jack in the second half turned the game for me… within ten minutes of coming on he was instrumental in creating four good chances and more as the game went on.. obviously Simeon put two away and deserves credit for that, because miracle had one of those days when he just wasn’t going to score, but played well and his work rate was fantastic as was Parker’s, who is turning into a great,consistent player…. Everyone put in a shift today… well done and a well deserved victory… get a win or a point now on Tuesday would be brilliant… starting eleven will be interesting on Tuesday, after some great performances today….

juanillo
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by juanillo » 09 Sep 2023, 20:27

drummyb wrote:
09 Sep 2023, 18:25
I think again a very, very composed performance. All work for each other, and very much the work ethic we saw in Paul's first season. I hope we (fans) dont start putting to much expectation on their shoulders, but for now, Im enjoying what I see.
This is my view too.

I was thinking we might rue some missed chances or that Stamford would somehow get an undeserved smash-and-grab victory, but we were deserved winners. The substitutions worked well today and the defence held them well in check all game.

WBA31
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by WBA31 » 09 Sep 2023, 21:08

A even game 1st half got some big lads Stamford thought they would tire in the heat which they did
Halesowen bossed 2nd half fully deserved the victory.
Parker my MOM
Roll on Stourbr*dge.

Brightgoldenhaze
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by Brightgoldenhaze » 09 Sep 2023, 21:44

Advertised as our biggest test of the season so far, and passed with flying colours.

Stamford could be playing now and they still wouldn't have scored. Miracle had one of those days but otherwise it could have been four or five.

Tranter78
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by Tranter78 » 09 Sep 2023, 21:54

If you look at the two games v Stamford last season compared to today we’ve come on leaps and bounds. Played football throughout and best team won. Just looked at the scores from our league today and boy this one unpredictable rollercoaster so far

410viawednesbury
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by 410viawednesbury » 10 Sep 2023, 10:16

You would of easily have paid twenty quid at some league grounds and been served up something nowhere near what was played at the Grove yesterday, fantastic stuff! Roll on Tuesday.

lutleyyeltz
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by lutleyyeltz » 10 Sep 2023, 10:29

We all seem rather pleased - and rightly so!
A superb performance. Not a weakness anywhere, in my opinion.
Strength in depth on the bench. Undefeated.
What's not to like?
Onwards and upwards on Tuesday.