Leamington Updates

Scores, live updates, discussion etc. on Yeltz matches
andy
Yeltz Forum Member

Re: Leamington Updates

Post by andy » 15 Aug 2023, 22:03

Fair result. Oogi had Leamington very well organised and for much of the match we were unable to find many gaps. That said we did create a few decent chances but no real nailed on one's. It's fair to say that Leamington had better chances than we did and we rode our luck a little at times. We definitely need to get better service to Miracle though, he ran his socks off again looking for scraps. Still, 3 games in, unbeaten, holding our own, happy days.
Proud owner of FOUR Georges O0 O0 O0 O0

DJ
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by DJ » 15 Aug 2023, 22:29

Southern League Premier Central – Tuesday, 15th August 2023

Halesowen Town 0 Leamington 0

Halesowen remain unbeaten after playing their full part in an absorbing stalemate against recently relegated Leamington, writes DJ. Another pleasing clean sheet also left the Yeltz with the best defensive record in the early league table.

Prior to the kick-off a one minute’s silence was observed in remembrance of long-time Yeltz supporter and players’ tunnel steward, Geoff Boyes.

Yeltz manager Paul Smith summed up an entertaining evening of football: “It was a tremendous 0-0, with two good sides not settling for a draw. We played some brilliant stuff for 20-25 minutes and looked strong and dominant all over the park. We can go a long way this season…it’s a pleasing start at a new level for us.”

Leamington last visited the Grove in September 2010 and their former Yeltz manager Paul Holleran has now clocked up over 660 games in charge over 14 years.

Halesowen made a bright start to the game when Miracle Okafor went close in the first minute and Jack Holmes crossed along goal in the fifth minute. Leamington goalkeeper Callum Smith then grabbed McKauley Manning’s cross two minutes later. Manning struck the side-netting after 15 minutes from Jak Hickman’s deep cross and another dangerous cross from Holmes was cleared two minutes later. The Brakes defended a 19th minute corner from Manning and Jack Lane made a fine 23rd minute interception after Josh Ezewele skipped down the left by-line.

Leamington came into the game towards the interval to create their own chances, although the Yeltz were guilty of also playing themselves into some trouble at the back as Callum Stewart forced a low 28th minute save from Dan Platt. A minute later, Platt parried and then collected a powerful shot from Henry Landers as Leamington enjoyed a better spell of play.

Seconds before the interval, a neat Halesowen move between Hickman and Holmes resulted in a Holmes cross along goal from the right just evading Okafor.

Leamington missed a golden opportunity at the start of the second period when Devon Kelly-Evans floated a free-kick over to Tyrone Barnett near the penalty spot, but he hooked his shot straight at Platt. A 53rd minute low shot from Kelly-Evans from 25 yards was then gathered by Platt.

The next passage of play and pressure belonged to the Yeltz again and Manning’s header from a deep right-wing cross was cleared off the line. Josh Ezewele was crowded out on a 62nd minute surging run into the penalty area and Lane cleared off the line from Okafor a minute later. Hickman fired a 64th minute free-kick into the Brakes’ defensive wall after Caine Elliott was brought down on the edge of the area.

Leamington came back once again as the game swung from end to end and Stewart thumped against the crossbar in the 70th minute as the ball was worked on from substitute Junior English’s right-wing throw-in. Shortly afterwards Platt lost the ball but his defence hacked clear and Platt then cut out a 73rd minute low cross from Landers as the game failed to find a winner at either end.

Halesowen Town: Dan Platt (c); Josh Ezewele, Reece Mitchell, Todd Parker, Ryan Wynter, Kieran Morris, Jak Hickman (Richard Gregory 74), Caine Elliott (Josh Hawker 75), Miracle Okafor, Jack Holmes, McKauley Manning. Subs Not Used: Luke Redfern, George Cater, Ryan Boothe.

Leamington: Callum Smith; Daniel Meredith (Junior English 12), Josh Quaynor, Joseph Clarke, Theodore Streete, Jack Lane, Adam Walker (c), Tyrone Barnett (Benjamin Usher-Shipway 81), Henry Landers, Devon Kelly-Evans (Jack Edwards 83), Callum Stewart. Subs Not Used: Jiah Medrano, Connor Taylor.

Referee: James Lunn Attendance: 1,055
Booked: Wynter (44)
Tulleys Print HTFC Man of the Match selected by Mark Evans: McKauley Manning

VanessaYeltz
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by VanessaYeltz » 15 Aug 2023, 22:33

A very good night of football and one of the better 0-0 draws I’ve seen. Could’ve gone either way but neither side deserved to lose it.

We stood up very well to a side who were2 leagues above us last season. Their physicality was something I’ve not seen for some time and we coped with it, bar a bit of overplaying here and there - something we’ve really struggled with in recent times.

A good night and a really solid start to the season.

Yeltzbaby
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by Yeltzbaby » 15 Aug 2023, 22:56

Really good start to the season, credit to smudger and the squad. Really good crowd as well for a night game in August. Up the yeltz far more local teams looking at us in envy, rather than us looking at them I.e bromsgrove sporting crowd tonight 560

fairweatherfan
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by fairweatherfan » 16 Aug 2023, 10:45

An interesting game. Felt we were comfortably the better side first 20-25 minutes, but then their long diagonals to Tyrone Barnett unsettled us (rarely seen Platty as uncertain whether to catch or punch such was their aerial threat) and they went in at half time looking in the ascendancy.

Second half followed a similar pattern, with them looking more likely to take the three points at the end. Thought we looked much the better side in footballing terms, but them having an eight foot ex-pro up top was something of a leveller. They will give plenty of teams massive headaches.

Overall a very positive start - only one goal in 270 minutes conceded, Hayward and KD to come back, and loads more to come from Miracle. Shoot me down, but I think play offs is not a pipe dream...

Scribbler
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by Scribbler » 16 Aug 2023, 13:36

Fair result, both sides could have snatched it in the end…. Just a bit concerned about lack of goals…three games in and two of them being home games…. Parker was again my man of the match,but played too deep in first half.. looked better playing more advanced, once hawker came on… looked to create all the time and rarely gave the ball away , Think the substitutes needed to be made earlier,to have a chance to effect the game, especially as one or possibly two players were struggling to make any impact… in my opinion…
We struggled to have an outlet whilst under pressure, if we have to hoof the ball away, in desperation, make sure it goes into touch, and regroup, We played some lovely controlled football , at times and looked good in patches…. More of that would be nice to see…we’re a small skilful side, going forward…. Keep the ball on the deck and play out from the back, long hopeful punts up the pitch don’t work…. It is a step up from last season, and players do need to be more physical, quicker and sharper, you get less time against better teams …. So quick thinking and awareness are also very important…..
Looking forward to Saturday and Kettering….. Hopefully a 5-0 goal fest… important to keep in touch with the top teams…

piearce9
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by piearce9 » 16 Aug 2023, 14:24

Agree with all the comments re dominating in the first 20 mins or so - thought we were fantastic early on and, although we started to become a little bit error-strewn, I thought the reason the game changed was down to Leamington getting smarter and turning the game to their strengths more. That in itself is quite a compliment, that the former Step 2 side have to make the game more airborne and physical to get a look in.

Generally I thought it was a great spectacle, with the game moving to and fro, both sides showing lots of tactical nous in addition to fight and effort. Atmosphere around the ground was very positive and we keep our momentum going. Todd Parker my man of the match - a real touch of class and gives the manager a welcome headache on Saturday with Hayward becoming available again.

Overall, I'm thoroughly excited about this season. The quite is the right size and balance, and we seem to have settled on a formation and system early doors. In seasons gone by, I think we've been undone by having too big a squad and (either through choice or just players moaning) having to keep changing the side/system week-by-week. Also I think the characters within the dressing room are a lot more balanced this year - the new additions all seem to have bought into the club quickly and appear like genuine, hard-working and likeable characters - and so we really have done great business over this summer.

I've committed to enjoying the season for what it is, and not having the pressure of the last few years. So far, I absolutely am.