Leiston

Scores, live updates, discussion etc. on Yeltz matches
dalevillain
Yeltz Forum Member

Re: Leiston

Post by dalevillain » 06 Aug 2023, 09:56

Nice to be back down the Grove for a new season, although yesterdays weather conditions were more like the middle of winter rather than the first weekend in August. What normally would be shorts and t-shirt weather was replaced with rain macs and hats.

Nevertheless a great start and fantastic win against a side who finished 3rd last season and are supposedly one of the favourites for promotion although based on yesterdays performance they were nothing special. Did they have an off day? Were we just too good for them? Hard to tell based on one game but will certainly take it.

As mentioned some great performances from our new signings - Miracle will rightly get the plaudits with his goals and trying to do his best Kerry Giddings impression but also his work rate was fantastic. Looks like a proper No.9 - something I think we lacked at times last season. Todd Parker was superb, covered every blade of grass in the middle and Josh Wynter looks a class act at the back.

Very pleasing signs all in all and a very good win but important for us not to get carried away just yet. We will face much tougher tests I’m sure and for now staying up is the immediate priority then build from there.

On a final note, comes to something when we are disappointed with ‘only’ 819 there. We’ve been spoilt with crowds over 1,000 in the recent year or so, shows we’ve come a long way in a short space of time. Still a great figure for this level and also considering the appalling conditions and in the midst of holiday season.

RobYeltz
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by RobYeltz » 06 Aug 2023, 13:58

A pleasing start to the season, a win against a side who finished 3rd last season, they've lost players apparently from last year but we still had to beat a side more than familiar with the standard at this level and on another day might have been 2 or 3 up by half time. Miracle obviously gets the headlines, not only did he get the goals but he works so hard for the team. He seems happy to pull the trigger at the earliest opportunity but also has a good football brain in having the awareness to know who is around him and where. Parker impressed again, loved his work rate and effort levels, if our players did where those GPS trackers logging their distances covered I would be amazed if anyone covered more ground than him, his quality on the ball too was excellent. With Wynter being the rock and the voice at the back we looked really solid too apart from the last minute switch off at the end. It is noticeable that there is more in the way of legs and energy across the pitch and with Hayward and Donnelly to come back in too we have two very fit lads to come back in.
Agree about the comments about the crowd, holiday season yes - I get that people miss games due to being away but the weather? I'd rather get soaked at football than have to go to Merry Hell or have a jobs list given me at home. Get a coat on and get to the game! :D
Proud owner of THREE 'Georges'

The artist previously known as AVFCYELTZ

410viawednesbury
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by 410viawednesbury » 06 Aug 2023, 15:45

Great result yesterday and looked completely comfortable with the step up. Miracle looks the centre forward we've craved for a while and with his all round game could be an absolute master signing. Holmes caught my eye playing the central role and given the room he's got and finds could also be,another good tactical switch. Having played at a higher level with Hereford and Burton I, personally, think he'll come into his own this season and turnout to be the player we all know he can be. Fingers crossed.
As RobAVFC noted the midfield will be interesting with Donnelly and Hayward to come back and how we're supposed to have a settled side with yesterday's workman like performance from the midfield I don't envy Paul Smith's conundrum!
The defence looks as if they're well balanced and organised with people pointing out Wynter being another great signing along with Ezewele who looks so comfortable going forward aswell as his defensive duties.
I, for one, am really looking forward to this season!

YeltzDoc
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by YeltzDoc » 06 Aug 2023, 20:38

Highlights - https://t.co/kvpNMVFLPs

Excellent teasing of old git at the 7:40 mark.

old git
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by old git » 06 Aug 2023, 21:15

YeltzDoc wrote:
06 Aug 2023, 20:38
Highlights - https://t.co/kvpNMVFLPs

Excellent teasing of old git at the 7:40 mark.
😂😂😂 you have to admit I was a true pro not letting it stop me watching the attack 😂😂😂

KenR
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by KenR » 08 Aug 2023, 12:06

I think Old Git should change his user name to Mary Poppins , after that.