Walsall Wood

Scores, live updates, discussion etc. on Yeltz matches
YeltzDoc
Yeltz Forum Member

Re: Walsall Wood

Post by YeltzDoc » 02 Aug 2023, 11:48

Hahaha. He does have a look of “The Magician” about him.

Oddly, he’s a university mate of my next door neighbour up here in Sunny Harrogate, but the opportunity for bragging rights when putting the bins out will have to wait at least another year.

MichaelGrove
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by MichaelGrove » 02 Aug 2023, 17:02

This season will definitely be different for the home games.

Recent years we’ve been most teams ‘cup finals’ especially as the crowds increased throughout the season.

Hopefully we can have some decent home resultando the crowds keep coming. I imagine it’s quite intimidating coming out through the shed end when you are used to playing infront of crowds 1/2 the size or less.

Scribbler
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by Scribbler » 02 Aug 2023, 20:27

The point I was really trying to make, regarding the fantastic large attendances and all the money that is generated by this, needs to be invested into the team to make sure we are competitive this season …. As Andy stated previously, if you’re in the bottom two or three and are loosing every week, the feel good factor soon wears off and crowds will drop …. So if we need a 25 -30 goal scorer, we need to pay the going rate , for his services, rather than just bringing in someone who is not up to that mark …as we have seen far too often the last couple of seasons…. And over the season the larger crowds will pay his wages …..in my humble opinion !!!

piearce9
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by piearce9 » 02 Aug 2023, 21:11

I do agree in that we need to make hay whilst the sun shines. The club is on the up (in every respect) and I do always count blessings as things change quickly in football.

However I do think that piling money into player wages is risky and you just have to look at Stourbr*dge who had many good seasons and bountiful cup runs, but now have little to show for it apart from a ground that’s falling down.

So if we do have money to spend - I’d rather see it invested into the club infrastructure and facilities (which we have been doing in fairness).

That said, the current owner has always backed the manager and you only need to look at how we brought Jack Holmes back at the end of last season to know that’s the case.

A longwinded way of saying I wouldn’t worry :-[