Spalding updates

Scores, live updates, discussion etc. on Yeltz matches
DJ
Yeltz Forum Member

Re: Spalding updates

Post by DJ » 29 Apr 2023, 19:42

Northern Premier League Midlands Play-Off Final – Saturday, 29th April 2023

Halesowen Town 2 Spalding United 1 (After Extra-Time)

Halesowen secured promotion with a last-gasp stoppage time equaliser and an extra-time winner to turnaround an exhilarating promotion play-off, writes DJ.

Jubilant Yeltz manager Paul Smith reflected on the huge triumph: “It was a tough game, difficult at times, we weren’t at our best but never gave up. I thought it was going away from us as we didn’t capitalise on a good start, it quietened the crowd and it all became very nervous. But somehow we found a way and once we got the equaliser it gave us the impetus to go forward. I’m over the moon for everyone. This has been 4 years in the making. It’s a fantastic football club with fantastic people. I’m lost for words.”

Halesowen started with all guns blazing and Spalding goalkeeper Michael Duggan produced three excellent first half saves to keep the Yeltz at bay. A 9th minute 25-yard drive from McKauley Manning was tipped over the bar by Duggan for a corner and Duggan then did well to keep the ball out after Tom Turton placed a low drive towards the bottom corner.

But the Tulips, with a mean defence, weathered the early storm and came into the game when Lewis Hilliard struck just over the bar at the end of a neat 17th minute move.

Strong Spalding spoiled the mood and silenced the bumper home crowd by taking a 38th minute lead when Hilliard’s left-wing corner was headed home directly at the far post by imposing captain Nathan STAINFIELD with Dylan Edge on hand to make sure.

Towards the interval Spalding’s Duggan made another good save to turn Gregory’s 41st minute header over the bar from Turton’s free-kick.

The visitors proved hard to break down after the interval as Halesowen made a flat start to the second period and it was another Stainfield header that fell just off target from Spalding’s 61st minute corner. The Tulips continued to defend superbly with the visiting goal hardly threatened and they almost increased their lead when Stefan Broccoli struck past the post on a 65th minute break. A bullet header from James Clifton then forced a fine reaction save from home goalkeeper Dan Platt a minute later and Donnelly cleared Sam Cartwright’s header off the line with just four minutes remaining.

There was a remaining late dramatic twist as Halesowen finished with a final flourish and the Tulips wilted. Simeon Cobourne cut in to fire over the bar after 87 minutes and substitute Jack Holmes hit the side-netting a minute later. But the Yeltz saved their best for last to snatch an equaliser one minute into the six minutes of added time when a low shot from Holmes was spilled by goalkeeper Duggan and DONNELLY was on hand to convert the rebound. Halesowen almost won it in the final minute of added time with substitute Jamie Insall close to turning in Donnelly’s shot.

Caution was the watchword for unlucky Spalding as Halesowen gained the upper hand in the half an hour of extra time and a 98th minute Donnelly drive from 20 yards out rattled the post.

With the game seemingly heading towards a penalty shoot-out, Halesowen found their all important extra-time winner. Holmes weaved his way through the visiting rearguard and although he couldn’t quite beat Duggan, the ball rolled for INSALL to tap home in the 112th minute to turn the Grove into a scene of rapturous promotion celebrations.

In a presentation after the game on the pitch, the Yeltz players and management received their medals and the promotion trophy as the club return to step 3 of non-league football after an absence of four years.

Halesowen Town: Dan Platt; Josh Ezewele, Josh Quaynor, Tom Turton (Jamie Insall 62), Kieran Morris (c) (Rob Evans 76), Nat Kelly, Kieren Donnelly, Nathan Hayward, Simeon Cobourne, Richard Gregory (Jack Holmes 62), McKauley Manning. Subs Not Used: Oscar Tonge, Jak Hickman.

Spalding United: Michael Duggan; Connor Peters, Sam Warburton, Kyle Barker, Nathan Stainfield (c), Sam Cartwright, Stefan Broccoli, Danny Draper (Archie Jones 103), James Clifton (Elliot Sandy 106), Dylan Edge (Miguel Ngwa 78), Lewis Hilliard. Sub Not Used: Bradley Rolt, Dan Bucciero.

Referee: Elliot Bell Attendance: 3,250
Booked: Peters (59), Donnelly (69), Ngwa (90), Insall (100), Barker (107)
HTFC Man of the Match: Kieren Donnelly

Yeltzbaby
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by Yeltzbaby » 29 Apr 2023, 19:50

Andy.....remember when I posted on here its better to win dramtically in the playoff final than to go straight up. LOL
doesn't matter one bit how you play in a final as long as you win, and it doesn't matter how you play all season as long as you go up!!

Absolutely brilliant well done to the entire club on achieving the objective.

Job well and truly done and for those who have got to know my posts on here, for me IT WAS NEVER IN DOUBT - YER RIGHT LOL!!!!

UP THE YELTZ and a special shout out to smudger who pick us up when let's face it our season was stuttering and did what we all wanted him to do....promotion I am over the moon, bring on next season

Remember glass ALWAYS half full, not half empty

DJ
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by DJ » 29 Apr 2023, 20:00

drummyb
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by drummyb » 29 Apr 2023, 20:50

3 hours after the event. I STILL cant beleive what I saw today!

TractionJackson
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by TractionJackson » 29 Apr 2023, 21:12

Something seems off
They don't want to play for the shirt
F*** them off back to Worcester
Maggie Thatcher, can you hear me? Maggie Thatcher? Your boys took a hell of a beating

juanillo
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by juanillo » 29 Apr 2023, 21:15

TractionJackson wrote:
29 Apr 2023, 21:12
Something seems off
Maggie Thatcher, can you hear me? Maggie Thatcher? Your boys took a hell of a beating
No, she was from Grantham, not Spalding :D

andy
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by andy » 29 Apr 2023, 21:21

So.......nope, still no words.
Proud owner of FOUR Georges O0 O0 O0 O0

fairweatherfan
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by fairweatherfan » 29 Apr 2023, 21:27

Bloody hell. Wow.

drummyb
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by drummyb » 29 Apr 2023, 21:28

juanillo wrote:
29 Apr 2023, 21:15
TractionJackson wrote:
29 Apr 2023, 21:12
Something seems off
No, she was from Grantham, not Spalding :D
But she can still F*** off....or could once upon a time ;) :o

andy
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by andy » 29 Apr 2023, 22:26

And recovered. Thank you beer. Enormously happy that this rollercoaster season has ended positively for us. The game was a microcosm of the season. Started well, went to pieces, regained our composure and fell over the line. Magnificent. Couldn't be happier for Keith and Karen, so so deserved, the players and staff, for all the fans ( hope some of you glory hunters return next year ;) ), but most of all for me! The highs and lows of the last 4 tortuous years at this level are now history. Let's make sure it stays that way. Thank you to everyone. Onwards.
Proud owner of FOUR Georges O0 O0 O0 O0