Stamford Updates

Scores, live updates, discussion etc. on Yeltz matches
drummyb
Yeltz Forum Member

Re: Stamford Updates

Post by drummyb » 22 Apr 2023, 17:11

Really enjoyed that game for a 0-0. Some good performances and I thought 2nd half in particular we managed it well.
Im glad we didnt put pressure on ourselves as a must win. There will be plenty of pressure on Tuesday.
If they dig in like they have today I'll be happy....but we need goals.

andy
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by andy » 22 Apr 2023, 17:31

Good game, good set of results. Stamford could have been on the beach, but played like it meant something, so we had to be worthy of our point. Hope that the goals haven't completely dried up though as we're going to need some now. Well done anyway lads on securing that all important home tie(s).
As an aside, spoke to several Stamford fans today, who were full of praise for our ground, support, bar etc. We now have to get into a league worthy of it. Come on lads.
Finally congratulations to Stamford. Worthy winners.
Proud owner of FOUR Georges O0 O0 O0 O0

Rich
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by Rich » 22 Apr 2023, 17:40

drummyb wrote:
22 Apr 2023, 17:11
Really enjoyed that game for a 0-0. Some good performances and I thought 2nd half in particular we managed it well.
Im glad we didnt put pressure on ourselves as a must win. There will be plenty of pressure on Tuesday.
If they dig in like they have today I'll be happy....but we need goals.
Agree with this. Thought it worked well the formation today.
Haywood was missed from the middle but we really need to get our forwards involved. Dont think Insall had a touch all game.
Still job done and on to Tuesday

DJ
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by DJ » 22 Apr 2023, 18:05

Northern Premier League Midlands – Saturday, 22nd April 2023

Halesowen Town 0 Stamford AFC 0

Second-placed Halesowen played out a competitive stalemate against champions Stamford to earn two potential home play-off ties next week, writes DJ.

The Yeltz discovered their play-off fate is to face Coleshill Town at home in the play-off semi-final on Tuesday, with the winners of that game meeting either Spalding or Sporting Khalsa in Saturday’s play-off final. Should Halesowen make the final, it is guaranteed to be played at the Grove.

Yeltz manager Paul Smith gave his positive assessment ahead of a massive week. “It’s our objective achieved to get second place. We contained them in the first half and then grew into the game. It’s now four clean sheets out of six and we go into Tuesday’s play-off in fine fettle. I’m confident if we perform as well as we can, then we can get a result.”

The strong Stamford outfit, full of swagger and already crowned champions, were keen to show their credentials and Connor Bartle planted a dangerous cross along the face of the home goal to earn a 3rd minute corner. Cameron Johnson then ran clean through the home defence towards the six-yard box, only to be finally stopped by Yeltz goalkeeper Dan Platt.

For Halesowen, McKauley Manning struck a low 12th minute shot wide and a 17th minute effort from Jack Holmes was stopped by Stamford goalkeeper Dan Wallis.

The Daniels continued to pose problems from set pieces as Bartle delivered a number of long throw-ins and corners into the heart of Halesowen’s penalty area, although Platt and his defence held firm. In a better spell towards the interval, Holmes and Josh Ezewele both went close.

After the break, the champions squandered a great chance to take a 58th minute lead when star striker Jonathan Margetts was allowed space in the penalty area to find Johnson, but he planted the ball over the bar from close range.

From that point onwards, Halesowen were much the better team, playing neat football in a confidence-building second period. Stamford’s defence cleared when Nat Kelly headed back across goal in the 61st minute and Josh Quaynor’s 25-yard shot was tipped around the post by goalkeeper Wallis two minutes later. Brogan Halpin then burst into the Stamford penalty area in the 66th minute but his appeals for a penalty were denied.

Halesowen’s best chance came in the 71st minute when goalkeeper Wallis made a tremendous reaction save from substitute Richard Gregory’s header after he met Manning’s 71st minute deep free-kick. A 74th minute Manning chip from 25 yards then fell just wide and substitute Kieran Morris headed an 85th minute free-kick past the post as Halesowen just failed to find the net for the third successive game.

Halesowen Town: Dan Platt; Josh Ezewele, Oscar Tonge, Josh Quaynor, Rob Evans (c) (Kieran Morris 53), Nat Kelly, Jak Hickman (Kieren Donnelly 75), Brogan Halpin, Jamie Insall (Richard Gregory 56), Jack Holmes, McKauley Manning. Subs Not Used: Tom Turton, Simeon Cobourne.

Stamford AFC: Daniel Wallis; Joe Burgess, Connor Bartle, Harry Vince, Sean Wright (c) (Stacey Freeman 78), James Blunden, Rob Morgan, Jake Duffy, Jack Duffy, Jonathan Margetts (Jon Challinor 80), Cameron Johnson (Michael Frew 75). Sub Not Used: Isaac Currie, Will Mellors-Blair.

Referee: Sam Wesson Attendance: 1,421
Booked: Manning (33), Insall (41), Margetts (45), Bartle (61), Blunden (90)
‘Tulleys Print’ HTFC Man of the Match selected by Dave Hadley: McKauley Manning.

410viawednesbury
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by 410viawednesbury » 22 Apr 2023, 19:46

Desperately need goals on Tuesday and just that bit of creativity from midfield, then we might just have something.
Someone in a 10 role was needed today as I felt that there was too much space between the midfield and forwards thus helping to link up play more effectively.
I'll be interested to see the line up for Tuesday.
Good luck and here we go...............again!

andy
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by andy » 22 Apr 2023, 20:58

410viawednesbury wrote:
22 Apr 2023, 19:46

Someone in a 10 role was needed today as I felt that there was too much space between the midfield and forwards thus helping to link up play more effectively.
I've been thinking the very same thing. Just having any one of three or four midfielders randomly supporting a lone striker hasn't worked.

Brightgoldenhaze
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by Brightgoldenhaze » 22 Apr 2023, 21:07

Clash of styles. Stamford were big, cynical and played to their strengths. I can see why they've won the league. They might even have deserved it. But we're the best team in the play-offs and with two home games we've got the chance to show it. We're going up.

andy
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by andy » 22 Apr 2023, 21:20

Brightgoldenhaze wrote:
22 Apr 2023, 21:07
But we're the best team in the play-offs and with two home games we've got the chance to show it. We're going up.
I think I agree. Or maybe I don't. I have no f'ing idea the way this season has gone. What I do know is, on current form Khalsa and Coleshill are 3rd and 4th, while us and Spalding are 7th and 9th. Make of that what you will.

andy
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by andy » 22 Apr 2023, 21:24

....and thank God Harborough and Chasetown didn't quite make it, they were 1st and 2nd!

Brightgoldenhaze
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by Brightgoldenhaze » 22 Apr 2023, 21:37

andy wrote:
22 Apr 2023, 21:20
Brightgoldenhaze wrote:
22 Apr 2023, 21:07
But we're the best team in the play-offs and with two home games we've got the chance to show it. We're going up.
I think I agree. Or maybe I don't. I have no f'ing idea the way this season has gone. What I do know is, on current form Khalsa and Coleshill are 3rd and 4th, while us and Spalding are 7th and 9th. Make of that what you will.
You know what they say about form...