Chasetown Updates

Scores, live updates, discussion etc. on Yeltz matches
Josh1873
Yeltz Forum Member

Re: Chasetown Updates

Post by Josh1873 » 16 Apr 2023, 07:44

I thought we were OK first half. Both sides created little and cancelled each other out. We should have scored at least one (Sim with a clear one-on-one where he should have done better, and then Insall, another one-on-one, which was intercepted by great defending. But he should have confidence to take the shot on early). They should’ve scored with a questionable, if not soft, penalty. It was certainly an improvement over the Sutton shambles. But that says more about Monday’s ‘performance’ than yesterdays.

That being said, we reverted to being so poor throughout the second half. Chasetown were the far better team and should have scored multiple times but for wasteful finishing and a couple of good blocks and saves from Platty. We were fortunate to walk away with a 0-0. But at least I saw solid effort and work rate from our players, if not the quality.

I was frustrated at how little we created in the second half, especially with an outfield player (Langston, of all people!) in goal. How many corners did we waste, by failing to beat the first man, or playing it in the wrong area. For those of you who were at Shepshed earlier in the season, recall the goals we scored from corners, where Hayward stood on the GK and prevented him from coming out for the cross? It caused chaos. Why wasn’t a similar tactic employed yesterday against a non-GK?

Speaking of tactics, I can’t help but feel they were all wrong. 4-3-3 leaves out full backs exposed against good sides, such as Chasetown. I’m not sure why we are persisting with this when it clearly isn’t working. Why were we playing for a 0-0 draw? Why so negative? Why so much time wasting? It was bizarre to watch, and I can’t get my head around why. It’s not as if a point would have mathematically secured second place. We need wins for that.

Smith started the season, and has seen plenty of games since he left. Why are we still chopping and changing so much (granted the Bank Holiday Sat and Sun games warrant a certain amount of changing. And yes, I am aware there may be injuries or other reasons as to why players aren't selected, but I can only comment on the information I have) but we should know our strongest XI and best formation. At this stage of the season we should be seeing a settled and consistent line-up, but it seems to me we’re still figuring it all out and we have no idea what the best XI is, and that inconsistency is showing on the pitch. I can't be bothered to look it up, but I would put good money on the likes of Stamford, Khalsa, Boldmere, Spalding and Chasetown having a far more consistent and settled eleven than we do. It's no coincidence they're in good form, and we aren't.

We’re heading into the playoffs without any form or momentum, and as a fan I sadly have little belief we have what it takes to win promotion. Judging by the previous two performances, neither do the players. Apologies for being so negative, and I genuinely hope I'm proven wrong, but I simply cannot find anything positive to take into the play-offs right now.

drummyb
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by drummyb » 16 Apr 2023, 08:38

Good well thought post Josh. Its almost a carbon copy of last season, where we kept chopping and changing line ups. I do think that we shouldn't be having these debates again and if promotion isnt enough of a gee up then what is?

I have an opinion on what needs to happen, but I'll wait til the last ball is kicked.

We may play Stamford off the park and will all be fired up again.

Simons
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by Simons » 16 Apr 2023, 09:45

Boldmere's form is actually worse than ours, and they probably won't make the play offs even though they have comfortably beaten us twice

lutleyyeltz
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by lutleyyeltz » 16 Apr 2023, 12:16

Studying the league table it seems to me that our only hope of retaining 2nd place is to beat Stamford.
A draw would leave us relying on Khalsa to take points off Spalding.
At worst we'll finish in 3rd spot.
All out war on Saturday.
Throw everything at the bragglng b*****ds!
Shit or bust!

drummyb
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by drummyb » 16 Apr 2023, 13:04

I dont think they'll risk any injuries if Im honest in that game. Be a bit more of a pre season friendly.

410viawednesbury
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by 410viawednesbury » 16 Apr 2023, 14:03

Josh1873 wrote:
16 Apr 2023, 07:44
I thought we were OK first half…
You say that the formation of 433 exposes our fullbacks. I thought that Josh Ezewele was most peoples choice of player of the season and he's played in that system throughout the season, is it, then, a case that the other full backs are not good enough?
Personally speaking I could count on one hand how many times this season that the back 4 or 5 have looked cohesive other than that they've been fragmented the rest of the time.
Surely whatever happens at the end of the season a clear out is needed.

Rich
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by Rich » 16 Apr 2023, 14:13

410viawednesbury wrote:
16 Apr 2023, 14:03

You say that the formation of 433 exposes our fullbacks. I thought that Josh Ezewele was most peoples choice of player of the season and he's played in that system throughout the season, is it, then, a case that the other full backs are not good enough?
Personally speaking I could count on one hand how many times this season that the back 4 or 5 have looked cohesive other than that they've been fragmented the rest of the time.
Surely whatever happens at the end of the season a clear out is needed.
Have to disagree 410
Think the basis is there for next season bar a couple of players and a settled team.
Would be interesting to know how many games we have played with a settled back 4. Dont think due to injury its been more than 3 or 4.

Kiddyeltz
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by Kiddyeltz » 20 Apr 2023, 19:55

Not really concerned about next season yet, Saturday is now the most important game. We need to win to guarantee 2nd place and home in both playoff games if we win the first, however I am not sure after seeing the last 3/4 games that the manager actually knows his best starting 11. Against a strong Stamford side who I thing will want to ram home that they have won the league we need our best 11 starting and fully motivated to get the job done. Hopefully I am proven wrong and we get the job done.