Up The Sphinx for Valentines

Scores, live updates, discussion etc. on Yeltz matches
Kiddyeltz
Yeltz Forum Member

Re: Up The Sphinx for Valentines

Post by Kiddyeltz » 14 Feb 2023, 22:01

Let’s hope so, that was poor. Shows the difference between our top 13 and the rest

YeltzDoc
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by YeltzDoc » 14 Feb 2023, 22:03

And Spalding won 2-0 up the Butthole too.

drummyb
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by drummyb » 14 Feb 2023, 22:52

Kiddyeltz wrote:
14 Feb 2023, 22:01
Let’s hope so, that was poor. Shows the difference between our top 13 and the rest
I thought Sim's body double (sorry dont know his name but maybe Mossini) and the other young lad on the right did ok. The other fringe players, bar Jac were woeful. I know its a crappy cup and we have bigger fish to fry, but thats an embarrasing score for the record book. Gave the gaffers some players to look at in a match and as youve said, they'll be way off the first team. It was a cobbled together team and looked it.
Fair play to the Sphincters. Not the greatest team but young, played to their strengths, worked hard and took their chances well.

HalesowenHarry
Global Moderator

Post by HalesowenHarry » 15 Feb 2023, 09:27

putting a more positive spin on things, we made 4 or 5 errors, really basic, for the majority of their goals. We outplayed them in the first 15 minutes, and probably had 4 or 5 clear chances in that period, plus created plenty after we'd committed defensive hari-kari. It was a good chance to protect the majority of our side from injury and / or suspension, and had it come off Coventry City in the Quarters. It didn't come off! Had we not made those mistakes (and we want to hope it was a blip as Corby will certainly not be doing us any favours this Sat) then we'd have won comfortably. But ho hum, couldn't give a shit about this comp as long as we're promoted!
Really bright note was how comfortable Jack Redhead played. Has a pass or two in the locker, gets stuck in and plays the game so naturally.

Sammons, Birch, Insall, Gregory, Morris, Evans, Donnelly, Kelly, Bunn, Mills............... that's a pretty impressive missing load of players from last night's starting line up ;D

drummyb
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by drummyb » 15 Feb 2023, 09:52

I love positive spins on 6-3 defeats!!!

But youre completely correct and I agree wholly

juanillo
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by juanillo » 15 Feb 2023, 12:54

drummyb wrote:
14 Feb 2023, 22:52
Kiddyeltz wrote:
14 Feb 2023, 22:01
I thought Sim's body double (sorry dont know his name but maybe Mossini) and the other young lad on the right did ok. The other fringe players, bar Jac were woeful. I know its a crappy cup and we have bigger fish to fry, but thats an embarrasing score for the record book. Gave the gaffers some players to look at in a match and as youve said, they'll be way off the first team. It was a cobbled together team and looked it.
Fair play to the Sphincters. Not the greatest team but young, played to their strengths, worked hard and took their chances well.
I didn't go so can't give an opinion on the game, but if 3 fringe players did ok, that would only leave 2 who were poor, so would it be fair to deduce that some of the regulars weren't really up for it or didn't play well?

HalesowenHarry
Global Moderator

Post by HalesowenHarry » 15 Feb 2023, 13:11

juanillo wrote:
15 Feb 2023, 12:54

I didn't go so can't give an opinion on the game, but if 3 fringe players did ok, that would only leave 2 who were poor, so would it be fair to deduce that some of the regulars weren't really up for it or didn't play well?
We were just rubbish at the back, both experienced and novice. I'd hazard a guess we created as much as they did. I'd also say that the players who were asked to step up on the whole were OK. Great game to give them a chance. But you won't win leagues with kids! We could have been 4 up before they scored, and I'm not making that up!

drummyb
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by drummyb » 15 Feb 2023, 13:43

juanillo wrote:
15 Feb 2023, 12:54
I think HH has summed it up tbh. The defending was dire. I think up to the point they scored, we'd done ok but from then on it was dreadful. I think the regulars were ok without being outstanding but its a team that hasnt played together and it showed. And probably wont ever again.

juanillo
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by juanillo » 15 Feb 2023, 20:54

Thanks for the summaries.

Maybe they 'wanted it more' as well as I think it secured a big (well , for them) derby game against Coventry City for them.

drummyb
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by drummyb » 15 Feb 2023, 21:03

Possibly. Not sure it really matters in this cup tbh. Theyd been knocked out the Vase in the last 16 on Saturday so maybe they had a point to prove. They sold all their pin badges, so more power to them.
As I said, played to their strengths. It wasnt a Romulus and far from it and I think our regular team would have caned them, if they fancied it
Very young side but typical of everything thats good about non league.

Anyhoo. On to bliddy Corby