Boldmere - MATCH OFF

Scores, live updates, discussion etc. on Yeltz matches
lutleyyeltz
Yeltz Forum Member

Re: Boldmere - MATCH OFF

Post by lutleyyeltz » 21 Jan 2023, 13:02

Who was the ref who called it off - Greta Thunberg's dad?

juanillo
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by juanillo » 21 Jan 2023, 13:50

The whole pitch needs to be playable and some parts will be harder than others because of the low sun in winter. Also it will be back to freezing when it gets dark.

Brightgoldenhaze
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by Brightgoldenhaze » 21 Jan 2023, 14:06

juanillo wrote:
21 Jan 2023, 13:50
The whole pitch needs to be playable and some parts will be harder than others because of the low sun in winter. Also it will be back to freezing when it gets dark.
The rare voice of common sense.

Footballfan
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by Footballfan » 21 Jan 2023, 14:12

I love the 'i went in my garden and it was soft' comments..let's face it you want the game on for your own personal reasons and not what's best for the players. Where does the club stand if players get injured from landing on a pitch that's as hard as the car park they have parked in.
Down the centre of the pitch where grass is at its lowest coverage you will find it harder than the wings. So just because you garden may feel soft doesn't mean every piece of lawn/grass in the country is. The winter low sun and Stands can also effect the actual sun from getting on the pitch. And if you actually look at the amount of games called off it clearly shows the right decision was made.
Other people that say let's leave it till 1.30 also have to realise what goes on behind the scenes to get ready everything ready to host games. And to postponing a game early in the morning rather them last minute is so much better for the club in every way. I can only think of the complaints they would get on social media etc from doing that

Just my thoughts

drummyb
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by drummyb » 21 Jan 2023, 14:27

Having worked through last night, it became blindingly clear the game wasnt gonna happen. Disappointing but if professional teams cant get a game on, we aint got a chance. We've been spoiled the last few years with quite mild winters, and I cant remember many games called off.
Looking forward, we may get the oft eluded Coventry Sphinx game, in April 😀

andy
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by andy » 21 Jan 2023, 14:52

Not agreeing or disagreeing with the refs decision. Not there, not seen it. But what I will say is if it is down to players safety the refs should call off EVERY MATCH played on plastic carpets.
Proud owner of FOUR Georges O0 O0 O0 O0

Footballfan
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by Footballfan » 21 Jan 2023, 15:14

What are the dangers playing on a 3g pitch? Remember we are not talking 1990's QPR type 'plastic'pitch that was just laid on tarmac. 3g pitches will have shock pads under the carpet that acts a cushion.
A frozen pitch that has no give is literally like playing on a car park. This is my main point. No trying to compare grass to 3g surfaces. I don't get why you trying to compare

drummyb
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by drummyb » 21 Jan 2023, 15:24

I think Andys point is the injuries caused by them in all conditions. I dont think its weather related.

Im sure he'll clarify that. Albeit reluctantly ;D

andy
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by andy » 21 Jan 2023, 15:35

Reluctantly I will.😁 I take it you are not a Town fan or you would know how many serious injuries we have incurred on these abominations. I wasn't referring to them in regards to the weather, just generally.
Proud owner of FOUR Georges O0 O0 O0 O0

Footballfan
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by Footballfan » 21 Jan 2023, 15:46

Well like I said. My initial message i never made a comparison to grass/3g. I just said people who say my grass is fine really need to think before posting stuff like that. Refs have a duty of care and how would they feel if someone did get an injury from playing on unsafe pitch that they allowed to go-ahead.
If town players have had serious head injuries caused by playing on properly maintained 4g surfaces then I take it back . I just know with shock pads and rubber crumb infil they are certainly not "hard" like a frozen pitch can be.