Gresley Updates

Scores, live updates, discussion etc. on Yeltz matches
VanessaYeltz
Yeltz Forum Member

Re: Gresley Updates

Post by VanessaYeltz » 14 Jan 2023, 18:14

Much more like it, best performance for quite some time.

Delighted with that, would’ve been 3-0 at half time had it not been for David Button in goal.

DJ
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by DJ » 14 Jan 2023, 18:15

Northern Premier League Midlands – Saturday, 14th January 2023

Halesowen Town 3 Gresley Rovers 0

Halesowen moved back to the top of the table on goal difference following a comprehensive three goal victory against Gresley, writes DJ.

Joint-managers Martin Sockett and Craig Nicholls were delighted with the day’s work. Martin felt “it was a professional performance. We also played good football creating lots of chances and sent everyone home happy. The Gresley goalkeeper made three of four top drawer saves.” Craig added “the sticky surface made it a bit difficult, but our back three were also tremendous today in front of another superb attendance.”

The Yeltz started well and created a host of chances in an enterprising first half. A great 6th minute flick from Ash Sammons set up Simeon Cobourne but Gresley goalkeeper Lewis Fenney made a good blocking save and Fenney then made a good low save from Richard Gregory three minutes later.

The opening goal soon arrived in the 10th minute after Josh Ezewele made a fine run into the penalty area and although Fenney saved once more, COBOURNE was on hand to plant the rebound home for a much-needed goal.

For Gresley - on their first visit to the Grove for a league game in almost ten years - Kane Lee cut the ball back for Daniel Munday to fire over the bar in the 14th minute. But with continued home pressure, Cobourne fired into the side netting in the 15th minute and Cobourne set up Gregory to see his final shot blocked two minutes later.

Gresley goalkeeper Fenney continued to be in excellent form and he made a superb 18th minute double save to prevent a second Yeltz goal. Firstly he kept out a Sammons shot from the edge of the area and secondly clawed the ball away after Gregory met the rebound. McKauley Manning’s 27th minute low shot then drifted just wide and Gregory laid the ball off for Sammons to fire over the bar after 38 minutes. Just before the interval Fenney made yet another terrific save to keep out Nathan Hayward’s low shot.

The Yeltz continued the search for further goals just after the interval when a clever ball from Tom Turton found Cobourne but his final ball just evaded Kieren Donnelly. A well deserved second goal finally came when the resulting 50th minute corner fell for defender Nat KELLY to turn and his shot slowly deflected into the net for his first goal of the season.

For the Moatmen, Bekir Halil fired a 54th minute free-kick over the bar and Munday’s 63rd minute weak shot was collected by home goalkeeper Dan Platt. Josh Quaynor then cleared off the line from Gresley substitute Kieran Wells in a better spell for the Moatmen.

As the Yeltz then pushed on again, good crosses were played across the penalty area from both substitute Greg Mills and Manning. Mills also delivered another good cross for substitute Jamie Insall to strike just wide in the 79th minute. The Yeltz made it 3-0 in the 85th minute when Gregory weighted a neat ball for Manning to square the ball for INSALL to tap home from close range.

Halesowen Town: Dan Platt (c); Josh Ezewele, Josh Quaynor, Tom Turton, Nat Kelly, Nathan Hayward (Greg Mills 65), Kieren Donnelly, Ash Sammons (Jac Redhead 78), Simeon Cobourne (Jamie Insall 56), Richard Gregory, McKauley Manning. Subs Not Used: Matt Funge, Dan Brookes.

Gresley Rovers: Lewis Fenney; Tyler Donaldson, Levi Reid, Bekir Halil (Dylan Hunniford 77), Albert Lansdowne, Alex Morris (c), James Spruce (Kieron Berry 65), Lewis Belgrave, Daniel Munday (Kieran Wells 65), Michael Williams, Kane Lee. Sub Not Used: Tatenda Chirata, Ryan King.

Referee: Kurt Bartlett Attendance: 1,121
Booked: Lansdowne (29), Hayward (37)
‘Tulleys Print’ HTFC Man of the Match selected by Darren Marklew: Nat Kelly
Non-League Paper Man of the Match: Josh Ezewele

piearce9
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by piearce9 » 14 Jan 2023, 21:20

Evo was away - back next week I believe.

Morris has a hairline fracture in his foot. Will be out for a little while but hopefully back before season end.

Back three were excellent today but would imagine we need to bring someone in at centre back, especially if we continue with this system (which I hope we will).

drummyb
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by drummyb » 14 Jan 2023, 21:37

piearce9 wrote:
14 Jan 2023, 21:20
Evo was away - back next week I believe.

Morris has a hairline fracture in his foot. Will be out for a little while but hopefully back before season end.

Back three were excellent today but would imagine we need to bring someone in at centre back, especially if we continue with this system (which I hope we will).
Gotta say, so do I. It looked so much better today with the change of shape, compared to the last few games. We'll see, but I certainly think it needs a try

JohnC
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by JohnC » 15 Jan 2023, 00:39

Gresley's away results before today won 1 drawn 2 lost 7.

That said recent form won 3 out of 4.

Last Saturday they beat Coleshill who are towards the top of the table 1-0.

A Gresley player was there today with crutches and a plastic boot on his foot. Done on another 3g pitch in our league.
I think injuries should be reported to the FA and League as clearly these types of pitches are not good for players welfare let alone the actual game. The bounce at Bedworth was like the ball being on a trampoline.

Yeltzbaby
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by Yeltzbaby » 15 Jan 2023, 07:48

Dare I say it

Ticking over nicely, we are tick, tick tick, I mean TOP of league.

That's a joke btw (or at least my attempt at humour)

Yes we played much better and their keeper aside (especially) first half it could easy have been 6.

The added threat of Insall coming on when they were tired completely sealed the game for us.

Question is - should he be starting, his movement is imo second to none in our squad.

Shedend on top form to yesterday

VanessaYeltz
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by VanessaYeltz » 15 Jan 2023, 08:12

On a pitch that would be like running on a treacle pudding I think it was very sensible to have Sim starting to then be replaced by Insall.

Imagine being their back four and how their legs must’ve felt.

andy
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by andy » 15 Jan 2023, 12:17

JohnC wrote:
15 Jan 2023, 00:39

A Gresley player was there today with crutches and a plastic boot on his foot. Done on another 3g pitch in our league.
I think injuries should be reported to the FA and League as clearly these types of pitches are not good for players welfare let alone the actual game. The bounce at Bedworth was like the ball being on a trampoline.
100% agree with this. They may make clubs more money but they are simply not conducive to decent football. Or player safety as we have seen far too often.
Proud owner of FOUR Georges O0 O0 O0 O0

RobYeltz
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by RobYeltz » 15 Jan 2023, 20:23

Really enjoyed yesterdays performance, was like chalk and cheese from the Bedworth game where we created next to nothing. As mentioned, their keeper made a number of fine saves to keep them in it for so long.
The change of formation certainly helped, I was a little worried about our lack of central defenders but huge credit to Eze and Quaynor who I thought were excellent playing a little narrower than normal.
The wings back were also superb, watching Manning and Donnelly both bomb forward creating havoc and the three in the middle of midfield dominate possession helped us enormously. The signings that have come in under Craig and Martin have improved us significantly Donnelly has been arguably signing of the season and Sammo has come back playing in 'in the 10' with ease. Mills also looked excellent when he came on too, if he can get up to match fitness his quality is there to see. The downside to the back three and central midfield three means the normal front three of Sim, Insall and Gregory will have to be split up, but I don't necessarily think that's a bad thing in certain situations, in a horses for courses type way there may be times when Insall coming off the bench gives us a real lift, the same could be said for Sim's pace and direct running with tired defenders, or it could be Gregs coming on to give us the strength, the hold up play and ball retention.
A mention also about the crowd yesterday over 1100 on a freezing cold, wet January is just amazing as was seeing Jac Redhead return after his horrific injury and time away.
Proud owner of THREE 'Georges'

The artist previously known as AVFCYELTZ

Yeltzbaby
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by Yeltzbaby » 17 Jan 2023, 21:06

Good to see Paul Smith at the game also.