Sutton Updates

Scores, live updates, discussion etc. on Yeltz matches
andy
Yeltz Forum Member

Re: Sutton Updates

Post by andy » 26 Dec 2022, 19:49

I wouldnt discard what VanessaYeltz is saying completely out of hand. Personally I feel the continuity of the management duo was the right move and still do. But. We are still for whatever reason not playing to our potential and I can't fathom out why. We have some excellent players who are maybe not quite on the top of thier game for some reason. It's certainly not for lack of trying that's for sure. It just needs details tweaking to make us into an unbeatable side in this league. I hope it can happen. We're in a great position to kick on into the rest of the season.
Proud owner of FOUR Georges O0 O0 O0 O0

BartleyYeltz
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by BartleyYeltz » 26 Dec 2022, 19:57

It was an appointment that would allow Paul Smith to come back once his head is right.
I actually thought we played ok today, 1st half was good and we dominated the last 25 minutes. We massively lack a good striker, I love Greggs and his hold play was very good 1st half. He’s turning into our H. Kane and dropping deeper and deeper. We aren’t getting the best out of him in a top 3z go 2 up top, get him higher up the pitch and let Sim play of him.

drummyb
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by drummyb » 26 Dec 2022, 20:24

BartleyYeltz wrote:
26 Dec 2022, 19:57
It was an appointment that would allow Paul Smith to come back once his head is right.
I actually thought we played ok today, 1st half was good and we dominated the last 25 minutes. We massively lack a good striker, I love Greggs and his hold play was very good 1st half. He’s turning into our H. Kane and dropping deeper and deeper. We aren’t getting the best out of him in a top 3z go 2 up top, get him higher up the pitch and let Sim play of him.
I think our front line hasnt clicked for a few games. The constant personnel change hasnt helped, but Gregs and Sim, as two who played today, dont look quite sharp. Cant fault effort at all but its frustrating, as it must be for them as well. Compare it to the front 3 at the start of the season, who looked really lively.

RobYeltz
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by RobYeltz » 26 Dec 2022, 20:50

VanessaYeltz wrote:
26 Dec 2022, 19:10
markb wrote:
26 Dec 2022, 18:37
Oh dear ….. team who are top of the table and someone is calling for the managers head ….. madness
We were top when they took over, by a much bigger margin which has now vanished

There’s issues from what I can see as to how we approach certain games, today was tactically a complete mess, our quality has got us through other games but the long punts up to nobody and moments of complete chaos as to what the plan is haven’t gone unnoticed. Was it an appointment to get us up or was it an appointment to keep the players happy and not interrupt the status quo? Time will tell.

Calling for heads? Not really. But I’m unimpressed and to put it simply we just have to go up, and anything that endangers that needs sorting. We’ve a comparatively huge playing budget which makes the job very attractive, yet we didn’t really look outside of the end of our noses.

Put it this way, if Paul decided he was ready to come back i’d have him back in a heartbeat, because if he goes elsewhere many of our players will be following him.
I wasn't there today so can't comment on todays game.

Regarding your comments above, do you know our playing budget compared to other clubs? Do you know for sure players would leave if Paul got a job elsewhere? Do you know for sure who the club considered as the next manager when Paul left?

It may well have been financially cheaper to keep Martin and Craig on, as you mention, we were top of the league at the time, so would bringing in a completely new face (or faces) have been the cleverest thing to do knowing a new manager may well have wanted his own people in.

Whilst I can understand the priority of getting promoted there's going to be very little between us, Stamford and Spalding as the weeks go and months go on, with all of us leading the race at some point. I'm of the opinion that we're not far away, we lost Birch and very quickly Sammonds came in. I would love to see us get in a top, top goalscorer, one that we won't have to worry about them picking up knocks who scores consistently. (Like Margetts from Stamford) - this type of player would be the better use of money spent in my humble as I believe we have the management to do the job. I appreciate of course finding this elusive goal machine is easier said than done as everyone wants one!
Proud owner of THREE 'Georges'

The artist previously known as AVFCYELTZ

piearce9
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by piearce9 » 26 Dec 2022, 21:02

This is a bit of a weird thing to say but we almost have too many different options.

If you asked my strongest front line, I’d say Insall - Gregs - Sim. We look lethal when these three play together.

In midfield, I really like Turton in the holding role, we need a player like Hayward to do the graft, and then you need a creative element like Mini or Sammo.

But then Donnelly was our best player today (fantastic signing btw) and this would leave him out. Quaynor seems to have lost his place to young Oscar at left back so he is also hard to accommodate. And there is a good battle for centre back places.

Heard lots of very knowledgeable people saying we need to acquire but I’m not convinced. I think it’s more about fine tuning what we already have.

HalesowenHarry
Global Moderator

Post by HalesowenHarry » 26 Dec 2022, 21:08

piearce9 wrote:
26 Dec 2022, 21:02

Heard lots of very knowledgeable people saying we need to acquire but I’m not convinced. I think it’s more about fine tuning what we already have.
Glad you said heard, cos you certainly wouldn't have read any........... absolutely spot on with your post, but not controversial so it'll never catch on........

andy
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by andy » 26 Dec 2022, 22:24

HalesowenHarry wrote:
26 Dec 2022, 21:08
piearce9 wrote:
26 Dec 2022, 21:02

Glad you said heard, cos you certainly wouldn't have read any........... absolutely spot on with your post, but not controversial so it'll never catch on........
I actually think that is what quite a few of us are saying......
Proud owner of FOUR Georges O0 O0 O0 O0

cripcrap
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by cripcrap » 27 Dec 2022, 13:28

The facts are these
When Sock and Nico took over on a PPG basis, we'd played 10, Stamford 9, Spalding 8. We had 24pts, Stamford 23, Spalding 18, so we were 3rd. We scored 26, Stamford 20 and Spalding 15.

After Boxing Day, we'd played 20, as had Stamford and Spalding 19. We have 46pts, Spalding 45 and Stamford 44, so we are 2nd. We scored 22, Stamford 23 and Spalding 26

After 10 Spalding had 24pts.

So in the era of Sock and Nico, we have 22pts from 10, opposed to 24 from 10.
Stamford have 21 from 11 or 18 from the second 10.
Spalding have 21 from 9.

Those are the facts.

Brightgoldenhaze
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by Brightgoldenhaze » 27 Dec 2022, 14:11

As another who wasn't there yesterday, I can't comment on the performance, but a point away from home against a mid-table side on a plastic pitch is hardly a disaster.

There seems to be the presumption that we should just turn up and roll Sutton over. That should have been put to bed by the Trophy result and they were good enough to beat Stamford 3-0 a few weeks ago.

drummyb
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by drummyb » 27 Dec 2022, 16:12

Brightgoldenhaze wrote:
27 Dec 2022, 14:11
As another who wasn't there yesterday, I can't comment on the performance, but a point away from home against a mid-table side on a plastic pitch is hardly a disaster.

There seems to be the presumption that we should just turn up and roll Sutton over. That should have been put to bed by the Trophy result and they were good enough to beat Stamford 3-0 a few weeks ago.
I think the last few seasons have taught us that we have no god given right to turn up and roll teams over. We weren't crap yesterday, far from it. But teams are going to give it 110% against us, especially on their own grounds. Calling for heads already is ridiculous imho after so few games.