Cambridge City Updates

Scores, live updates, discussion etc. on Yeltz matches
lutleyyeltz
Yeltz Forum Member

Re: Cambridge City Updates

Post by lutleyyeltz » 03 Dec 2022, 22:52

If we win all our remaining games then we p*ss the league.
Simples!
Last edited by lutleyyeltz on 03 Dec 2022, 23:21, edited 1 time in total.

piearce9
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by piearce9 » 03 Dec 2022, 23:06

Brightgoldenhaze wrote:
03 Dec 2022, 22:39
The rest of the top six have still got to come us. Spalding and Stamford haven't played each other yet. It's in our hands.
That’s a very good spot!

dalevillain
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by dalevillain » 04 Dec 2022, 10:25

Another tough game against an opposition in the bottom half who came to stifle us. In what was somewhat a subdued atmosphere, don’t think the 1pm kick off helped with that but once again we found a way to grind out the win after a sluggish start to the game, which was the main thing especially with Stamford losing yesterday too.

As most people have said Brad Birch was the standout contender for MOTM, ran the show in the midfield and got a goal which his performance deserved.

A special mention for the young lad Taylor Homer who came on for the last 10 mins or so, a very assured debut and did not look out of place. Always pleasing to see the youngsters get an opportunity and future definitely looks bright on that front.

As mentioned a subdued atmosphere although it comes to something when we are disappointed with an attendance of ‘only’ 766, still much higher than anything in our league and also ‘them lot down the road’. I guess the kick off time, weather, time of the year all contributing factors as to the lower attendance.

Rich
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by Rich » 04 Dec 2022, 12:10

Dont think the atmosphere is helped by the last 2 weeks the opposition swapping round so we attack the Shed in the first half.

Thought all the back 4 played well yesterday.
would like to see Insall/Cobourne play more inside when on the left though and give young Oscar more chance to get down the wing more. i am sure he could be a big threat for us.

RobYeltz
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by RobYeltz » 04 Dec 2022, 13:17

Another tough game, and I was surprised to see Cambridge so low in the league considering how well organised they were. Turning us around didn't help with the flat atmosphere, neither did the stop start nature of the game. They were happy to keep breaking up the flow of the game by making it niggly especially when the referee seemed intent on blowing even when delaying a second or two could have seen an advantage played. Whilst I'm happy with the 3 points we've also got a team now who are little bit cuter to the darker side of the game, however I felt at times today we got a little too involved making the game to stop start. Whether it's just us but in the last few weeks we seem to come up against teams who are whinging, whining and screaming at referees, maybe they're identifying how weak/poor some refs have been and it now falls under 'game management' in your ability as a team to play the officials too. The number of bookings today really wasn't a fair reflection of the game.
As for the players, I thought Birch was immense yesterday, tenacious as ever but the number of times he ran in behind our front three showed how his match fitness has improved. Thought the young lad Homer came on at the end and done well too, he certainly didn't look overawed at all, and he was unlucky not to assist with that lovely run and pull back. The other young kid Tonge continues to impress, and I hope seeing him yesterday means he's here for a while longer yet too.

Downside was the crowd, with no local games on we somehow lost 300 fans to an early kick off. I can understand the flatter atmosphere as the pre match boozing surely took a hit but surely there wasn't 300 odd folks starting their shopping at Merry Hill already, does two hours make such a huge difference?
Proud owner of THREE 'Georges'

The artist previously known as AVFCYELTZ

lutleyyeltz
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by lutleyyeltz » 04 Dec 2022, 14:48

To answer your very last question, Rob - yes it does.
At least to the older fans who are programmed to the traditional 3 pm kick-off time.
There are many who work on Saturday mornings and, I guess, many who partake in various domestic duties whether willing or not!
I do hope that this was an exception and that we don't see this becoming a regular thing.

Noggin
Global Moderator

Post by Noggin » 04 Dec 2022, 15:21

You make a very real point there Lutters, moving away from 3pm for our level of football is a dangerous thing to do because that is the time that nature and the good Lord meant the game to be played.
I was not there yesterday, because I knew weeks in advance that whatever the start time, I would be on a plane, but in principle I do not see any reason for moving from 3pm kick-offs unless there is an emergency.
For the record, current energy prices may well constitute an emergency for some clubs and I would not get upset at clubs that felt they had to move kickoffs to keep their clubs afloat. A tournament played by millionaires, organised by a corrupt governing body and hosted on the corpses of thousands of construction workers does not constitute sufficient reason to mess around with proper football.

lutleyyeltz
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by lutleyyeltz » 04 Dec 2022, 16:42

With you on every point, Kevin.

RobYeltz
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by RobYeltz » 04 Dec 2022, 16:50

RobYeltz wrote:
04 Dec 2022, 13:17
Another tough game, and I was surprised to see Cambridge so low in the league considering how well organised they were. Turning us around didn't help with the flat atmosphere, neither did the stop start nature of the game. They were happy to keep breaking up the flow of the game by making it niggly especially when the referee seemed intent on blowing even when delaying a second or two could have seen an advantage played. Whilst I'm happy with the 3 points we've also got a team now who are little bit cuter to the darker side of the game, however I felt at times today we got a little too involved making the game too stop start. Whether it's just us but in the last few weeks we seem to come up against teams who are whinging, whining and screaming at referees, maybe they're identifying how weak/poor some refs have been and it now falls under 'game management' in your ability as a team to play the officials too. The number of bookings today really wasn't a fair reflection of the game.
As for the players, I thought Birch was immense yesterday, tenacious as ever but the number of times he ran in behind our front three showed how his match fitness has improved. Thought the young lad Homer came on at the end and done well too, he certainly didn't look overawed at all, and he was unlucky not to assist with that lovely run and pull back. The other young kid Tonge continues to impress, and I hope seeing him yesterday means he's here for a while longer yet too.

Downside was the crowd, with no local games on we somehow lost 300 fans to an early kick off. I can understand the flatter atmosphere as the pre match boozing surely took a hit but surely there wasn't 300 odd folks starting their shopping at Merry Hill already, does two hours make such a huge difference?
Proud owner of THREE 'Georges'

The artist previously known as AVFCYELTZ

andy
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by andy » 04 Dec 2022, 18:39

Noggin wrote:
04 Dec 2022, 15:21

For the record, current energy prices may well constitute an emergency for some clubs and I would not get upset at clubs that felt they had to move kickoffs to keep their clubs afloat. A tournament played by millionaires, organised by a corrupt governing body and hosted on the corpses of thousands of construction workers does not constitute sufficient reason to mess around with proper football.

👍👍👍
Proud owner of FOUR Georges O0 O0 O0 O0