Boldmere Updates

Scores, live updates, discussion etc. on Yeltz matches
HalesowenHarry
Global Moderator

Re: Boldmere Updates

Post by HalesowenHarry » 12 Oct 2022, 08:07

As we're not going to be able to prove it one way or another, I don't think we miss Hawker as much, Turton and Hayward together were excellent in those first 6 games bar the Romulus debacle. It changed once Hayward got injured at Sutton (and didn't play from the start remember). Which combined with losing the flair of Holmes (massive loss) left our squad threadbare.
We've finished 2 or 3 games with either 1 or 0 out and out midfielders on the pitch. The glimpses of the two new blokes last night was about the only positive to take from it, I think they'll cause teams plenty of troubles and as has been said on here, it might be time to go 4-4-fecki-2 or even 3-5-2..............
Its hard to say with 24 points from 30 but we look incapable currently of winning unless our game plan changes against the better sides. Stamford look impressive, and we play them in a months time........... :o

dalevillain
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by dalevillain » 12 Oct 2022, 08:32

I’m not sure what the issue is but it’s clear something is not right at the moment, whether it’s the managers tactics or the players attitude or we’re just not good enough.

As already mentioned there seems to be this stigma around the ‘bigger games’ which was also the case last season when we bottled promotion. Same is happening again.

andy
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by andy » 12 Oct 2022, 10:19

HalesowenHarry wrote:
12 Oct 2022, 08:07
As we're not going to be able to prove it one way or another, I don't think we miss Hawker as much, Turton and Hayward together were excellent in those first 6 games bar the Romulus debacle. It changed once Hayward got injured at Sutton (and didn't play from the start remember). Which combined with losing the flair of Holmes (massive loss) left our squad threadbare.
We've finished 2 or 3 games with either 1 or 0 out and out midfielders on the pitch. The glimpses of the two new blokes last night was about the only positive to take from it, I think they'll cause teams plenty of troubles and as has been said on here, it might be time to go 4-4-fecki-2 or even 3-5-2..............
Its hard to say with 24 points from 30 but we look incapable currently of winning unless our game plan changes against the better sides. Stamford look impressive, and we play them in a months time........... :o
Spot on. Holmes is turning out to be a bigger miss than I thought it would.
Proud owner of FOUR Georges O0 O0 O0 O0

piearce9
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by piearce9 » 12 Oct 2022, 10:43

Urgh. Awful performance - no way of dressing it up. Honestly don't know what we were doing at times, and we created absolutely nothing in the whole game.

I can take losing, and I know we'll have off days, but the four games we've lost this season have all been exactly like this.

dalevillain
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by dalevillain » 12 Oct 2022, 10:57

piearce9 wrote:
12 Oct 2022, 10:43
Urgh. Awful performance - no way of dressing it up. Honestly don't know what we were doing at times, and we created absolutely nothing in the whole game.

I can take losing, and I know we'll have off days, but the four games we've lost this season have all been exactly like this.
I think that’s the main concern for me, it’s been the manner of the defeats. It’s not like we’ve been unlucky, gone down fighting or lost narrowly, in all the defeats we’ve been beaten convincingly. The scoreline flattered us last night, bar a couple of decent Platty saves and some poor finishing from them, it could and should have been a lot more.

piearce9
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by piearce9 » 12 Oct 2022, 11:06

dalevillain wrote:
12 Oct 2022, 10:57
I think that’s the main concern for me, it’s been the manner of the defeats. It’s not like we’ve been unlucky, gone down fighting or lost narrowly, in all the defeats we’ve been beaten convincingly. The scoreline flattered us last night, bar a couple of decent Platty saves and some poor finishing from them, it could and should have been a lot more.
Exactly that, Dale. And I agree it should have been a much heavier scoreline last night.

Josh1873
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by Josh1873 » 12 Oct 2022, 11:24

I'm back with a new username. ADY wasn't relevant anymore! Anyway, here goes. I hope you've got a cuppa and a pack of biscuits ready...

Well, that was abysmal. I can accept poor half arsed performances as a one off. It happens. The players are humans and are entitled to off days. I get it. However, this is not a one off. You can no longer offer ‘it’s one of those days’ as an excuse. We are now 13 games into this season (admittedly still early days) and we’ve been well below par in at least 5 matches (the 4 defeats and the underwhelming performance v Yaxley). That’s over 38% of matches played we’ve turned in utter dross displays. It’s not the sign of a team that will win promotion, is it?

The Romulus, Sutton, Spalding and Boldmere defeats have all seen the same template. The opposition players simply wanted it more. They put in more effort, showed more desire and out battled us. Wasn’t this squad supposed to be ‘better’ at battling and scrapping for points when the going got tough? I’ve seen little evidence of that. If anything, they’ve gone into hiding rather than rolling their sleeves up.

These losses haven’t just been unlucky defeats where the game could have gone either way, we’ve been hammered, in reality. At no stage in the aforementioned games have we looked like scoring. Let alone winning the game!

We have shown no tactical plan, other than long ball, after long ball, after long ball. Which is easily dealt with via basic defending. The opposition have created numerous chances and always looked capable of scoring, while we have created next to nothing. There's no plan B at all, and I’d argue we’ve shown no plan A in these games.

It’s all well and good looking dominant against teams the lads and I could give a game (the likes of Yaxley and Daventry) but time and time again we are found wanting against teams in the promotion race.

It was a concern and question last season. A question we couldn’t find answers to when we needed. It’s been a question this season, and so far, we’ve yet again come unstuck against the teams battling for play-off spots/promotion.

What was alarming last night was how much Paul chopped and changed formation. He must've changed formation at least 3 times during the match and rotated numerous players numerous times. Unfortunately, it looks like he maybe doesn't know our best formation, or how to get the best out this group, and was just changing formation trying to stumble on a formula that works. It was baffling.

Earlier in the season, the 4-3-3 formation worked, the front 3 of Insall, Gregs and Sim, were on fire. Before Hayward sustained injury and Holmes left, we had some level of protection and control in midfield. We've lost them, and teams have figured us out. They take control of midfield and win the midfield battle. We're currently getting dominated in midfield and it’s costing us.

Maybe it’s time to go 3-5-2 of 4-4-2, dropping one of the front 3, which would hopefully give us a chance of controlling midfield again.

Yes, we’re still in a healthy league position. Yes, there’s still time to fix the currently broken tactics/squad (on that point, do we have the budget due to yet another season of early cup exits?). Yes, the season is still young and there’s a lot of football left to play. But I can’t shake the feeling of déjà vu. The start of this season has played out exactly the same as last season. It all feels very much like ‘here we go again’. There’s a lot of familiar questions, and I suspect we’re going to get the same incorrect answers as we saw last season. I wonder how much longer we will see the same patterns repeating themselves. The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results.

I know I'm seen as a bad egg, and Mr Negative (I'm hardly on my own, let's be honest!), but this is how I'm feeling right now. Apologies. We need a good win on Saturday to get back on track, but we're facing a side, in Corby, who will be there or there abouts, do we have what it takes to beat such a side? Sadly, based not just on this season, but on last seasons, and the COVID affected seasons, evidence, I'm not convinced.

lutleyyeltz
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by lutleyyeltz » 12 Oct 2022, 12:36

.....and so say all of us!

old git
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by old git » 12 Oct 2022, 12:44

Time for my “happy clappy” post.
Saturday Ezewele back at left back with Quaynor Evo and Morris.
Turton shakes off his nock, Hayward fit and I’d throw the new bloke in there with them.
Up top Sim right, new bloke left and Insall,and Greg’s in the mix.
Minimac still isn’t up to speed after his lay off so bench with Smith Birch Brookes and Funge.

There … sorted … 4 0 and train back on the tracks 😂

old git
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by old git » 12 Oct 2022, 12:45

Completely cocked that up. Meany Greg’s to start with Insall coming on when he tires on
[/quote]
Last edited by old git on 12 Oct 2022, 12:51, edited 1 time in total.