Biggleswade FA Trophy (h)

Scores, live updates, discussion etc. on Yeltz matches
piearce9
Yeltz Forum Member

Re: Biggleswade FA Trophy (h)

Post by piearce9 » 14 Sep 2022, 13:02

Ok, waffle time.

I don't suppose many people will remember a 90s TV show called "The Hurricanes" - it was an animated series for kids that revolved around a plucky team of footballing superstars on their world travels. Unsurprisingly, it was a genre I quite enjoyed at the time.

Every single episode the Hurricanes would suffer some terrible misfortune ahead of their game vs the Gorgons and would find themselves at some improbable half-time deficit. However, whatever the issue was at hand, everything would get resolved in the last few minutes of the show and the Hurricanes would stage a comeback and win the game 8-7, or something like that.

At this time, Halesowen had our own team of superstars and (maybe it was my imagination), whatever the half-time situation, you knew that we'd be shooting towards The Shed second half and everything would be fine. It's probably why I'm still following this club 30 years later.

I thought this was worth saying because, last night, it really was like a Hurricanes game. We found ourselves at a deficit at half time, but I couldn't help but feel like the storyline was already written. I knew we'd come back. Sure enough, on the hour mark, the substitutions changed everything and, with a series of dramatic flourishes, the game was won and everyone went home in fine spirits.

I know that football can change in an instant and I'm sure there'll be plenty of tricky periods to endure, but I'm honestly so excited by this team of players and the football that's being served up at the moment. It's a great time to be a Yeltz fan - long may it continue.

HalesowenHarry
Global Moderator

Post by HalesowenHarry » 14 Sep 2022, 13:18

did the hurricanes have no defensive midfielders either by the end of the match? ;)

drummyb
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by drummyb » 14 Sep 2022, 13:27

piearce9 wrote:
14 Sep 2022, 13:02
Ok, waffle time.

I don't suppose many people will remember a 90s TV show called "The Hurricanes" - it was an animated series for kids that revolved around a plucky team of footballing superstars on their world travels. Unsurprisingly, it was a genre I quite enjoyed at the time.

Every single episode the Hurricanes would suffer some terrible misfortune ahead of their game vs the Gorgons and would find themselves at some improbable half-time deficit. However, whatever the issue was at hand, everything would get resolved in the last few minutes of the show and the Hurricanes would stage a comeback and win the game 8-7, or something like that.

At this time, Halesowen had our own team of superstars and (maybe it was my imagination), whatever the half-time situation, you knew that we'd be shooting towards The Shed second half and everything would be fine. It's probably why I'm still following this club 30 years later.

I thought this was worth saying because, last night, it really was like a Hurricanes game. We found ourselves at a deficit at half time, but I couldn't help but feel like the storyline was already written. I knew we'd come back. Sure enough, on the hour mark, the substitutions changed everything and, with a series of dramatic flourishes, the game was won and everyone went home in fine spirits.

I know that football can change in an instant and I'm sure there'll be plenty of tricky periods to endure, but I'm honestly so excited by this team of players and the football that's being served up at the moment. It's a great time to be a Yeltz fan - long may it continue.
https://youtu.be/56ofjCI7QmA
Would you like extra cheese on that, Sir?

piearce9
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by piearce9 » 14 Sep 2022, 15:08

drummyb wrote:
14 Sep 2022, 13:27
https://youtu.be/56ofjCI7QmA
Would you like extra cheese on that, Sir?
Haha. That takes me back (to last night's game).

YeltzDoc
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by YeltzDoc » 14 Sep 2022, 15:41

Pah, kids. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6IqznlB1GhI

He has a History degree from Cambridge you know. And he lived by me up here. Until he died and that.
I can remember when this was all fields... Still is.

Very enjoyable last night, definitely one where The Shed sucked it in. Sid and I missed Smith's second as we were discussing marketing.
To HH's point, if we play Mini for Turton or Hayward on Saturday I expect we'll win 25-8.
I hope that Holmes doesn't make way for Manning's return though - the (Kingswinford-based) pragmatists would probably say that he adds more but I love watching Jack; a life-affirming joy to see him beetling along with the ball stuck to his feet and latter day Vowles-es left swiping at thin air.
N.B. Semi-colon = posh.

I'm even starting to love Insult's* braggadocio, if half of our fans dislike him, heaven knows how much bile the opposition must be spitting.
As they say down Zampa way, no-one likes us, etc.

And the Kuprinoled Kid? Let's just say that, whilst it may make a tremendous end to an evening, one swallow doesn't make a summer. Took the second very well I note (from YTV) so, fingers, if not legs, crossed.

Oddly thin on the ground, I thought. Surely the lure of Spursy Scousers on the box didn't knock 400 off? Even Cradley/Croxteth Selfie turned up. On time (ish). And bravo for his lad to get on the pitch. Not like we did in the '80s, obvs.
Maybe Norris was playing up in Wetherfield. Is that still on? All downhill since Albert Tatlock died imho (I'm learning).

Nice to see Eurwyn, even if he couldn't see me, they always said Yeltz fans were one-eyed etc - hopefully sorted soon bwti.

I even picked my Country Gentleman's season ticket up, very late, last turkey in the shop. Well, I am old and it was nippy.

Enough fun to eek another tank of dead dinosaurs out of me to zoom the A1/M1/M42/M6/M5 - you sank my battleship etc - on Saturday, I imagine. Was it Yaxley that's the sort of town referees come from? Or was that Yate. Had a caravan there once, like Paul Harding, naturally.

* TMGrey Squirrel

andy
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by andy » 14 Sep 2022, 19:10

Sublime Sir, sublime.
Proud owner of FOUR Georges O0 O0 O0 O0

YeltzDoc
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by YeltzDoc » 14 Sep 2022, 19:29

I blush. A howl sufficiently Ginsberg-esque in its stream-of-consciousness to ensure nobody gets most of the references.
But a spotters badge for anyone who can decipher the Catalogue Man one.

One word answer required, in return you'll receive a mediocre display of admiration.

valenciayeltz
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by valenciayeltz » 14 Sep 2022, 19:33

YeltzDoc wrote:
14 Sep 2022, 15:41
Pah, kids. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6IqznlB1GhI
Pah, kids ....

andy
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by andy » 14 Sep 2022, 22:00

YeltzDoc wrote:
14 Sep 2022, 19:29
I blush. A howl sufficiently Ginsberg-esque in its stream-of-consciousness to ensure nobody gets most of the references.
But a spotters badge for anyone who can decipher the Catalogue Man one.

One word answer required, in return you'll receive a mediocre display of admiration.
There are only so many permutations of 'caravan', 'Paul Harding', 'Yate' and 'Catalogue Man' I can annoy Google with. Pass.
Proud owner of FOUR Georges O0 O0 O0 O0

YeltzDoc
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by YeltzDoc » 15 Sep 2022, 12:42

I suspect Westy will get it. Or Ada if he’s ever on here.

As an additional clue, it used to be on television a lot.