Post by Johnny Bud » 09 Aug 2022, 21:40

Lost 4.3

DJ
Yeltz Forum Member

Re: Hednesford Updates

Post by DJ » 09 Aug 2022, 22:11

Pre-Season Friendly – Tuesday, 9th August 2022

Halesowen Town 3 Hednesford Town 4

Halesowen were left without a pre-season home win after Southern League Premier Central Hednesford Town won by the odd goal of seven in an entertaining final preparation game ahead of the new season, writes DJ.

Hednesford began their season with a 1-0 home defeat three days earlier but started on the front foot and forced two good early saves from Yeltz goalkeeper Dan Platt. But Platt couldn’t prevent the Pitmen taking a deserved 19th minute lead when a low shot from the right edge of the penalty area beat both the home defence and Platt to find the bottom corner. Jamie Insall had a 28th minute penalty shout turned down but it was Platt to the rescue again in the 32nd minute when he raced off his line to clear after Nat Kelly lost out.

But suddenly, the Yeltz became transformed following a drinks break and mounted a big turnaround in the final 12 minutes of the first period.

Simeon Cobourne almost nipped in to meet a delightful 34th minute long ball from Tom Turton. Halesowen then equalised in the 37th minute when Josh Quaynor burst forward to exchange passes with Richard Gregory and Bailey FULLER slotted home Quaynor’s excellent low cross from the left. Josh Ezewele did well down the opposite flank two minutes later to cross to Gregory, but his acrobatic shot was collected easily by the Hednesford goalkeeper.

TURTON put Halesowen 2-1 up in the 40th minute with a brilliant 45 yard lob from just inside the Hednesford half after Cobourne battled for the ball in midfield. INSALL then tapped home a third Yeltz goal on the stroke of half-time following a good run from Cobourne.

But the Pitmen finished the game strongly and turned the game around by scoring three second-half goals to win 4-3 after a string of substitutions from both camps. A 20-yard shot from the edge of the penalty area made it 3-2 after 53 minutes and Hednesford drew level at 3-3 in the 68th minute when a substitute threaded into the penalty area and converted from the left of the penalty area. Platt made a good low 70th minute save and home substitute Jack Holmes struck just over the bar in the 78th minute.

Home substitute Dexter Dudley-Toole made a good block to concede a corner in the 88th minute but the visitors won the game 4-3 in the 88th minute when a left-wing cross was turned home from close range.

Halesowen Town: Dan Platt (c); Josh Ezewele (Max Morris), Josh Quaynor (Asa Charlton 77), Tom Turton, Rob Evans (Dexter Dudley-Toole 60), Nat Kelly (Kieran Morris 60), Bailey Fuller, Nathan Hayward (Brad Birch), Jamie Insall (Jack Holmes 46), Richard Gregory, Simeon Cobourne (Matt Funge 60). Unused Sub: Richard Smith.

Hednesford Town: No team-sheet submitted.

Attendance: 416

dalevillain
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by dalevillain » 10 Aug 2022, 07:29

A competitive but very strange game last night which showed the good, bad and the ugly of us and pretty much summed up our pre season.

A bad first 20-25 minutes where we looked all over the place and lacked any sort of cohesion and urgency. Again, yes it’s a friendly however it was the last friendly before the real stuff starts on Saturday. We looked lost which was very concerning considering that will more or less be our starting XI you would think.

Cue the drinks break and not sure what was in the water but then a superb 15-20 mins where we hit 3 goals and began playing like a Halesowen side of the last few seasons.

Then the ugly side in the second half which is typical of a friendly where changing the team upsets the flow and we squandered our lead to concede 3 and lose the game. Another concerning point is the players that came on did little to suggest they will be regular starters (Jack Holmes possibly, but it remains to be seen if he will still be with us when the season starts.)

I know you can’t read too much into pre-season, we’ve seen campaigns under JH where we’ve looked amazing beating the likes of Tipton Town 9-0 only to start the season looking out of our depth and then having to change more or less the entire team by September.

However under the previous campaigns under PS you have gone into the campaign feeling full of confidence based on what you have seen, sadly I don’t have that same confidence going into this season. I personally don’t feel the squad is as strong as last season. I also think we haven’t sorted our defensive frailties out and the amount of goals we have conceded in games so far is worrying.

Although to clutch at straws maybe like me the players are bored of friendlies and are struggling to motivate themselves for ‘meaningless’ games and just want the real stuff to start now, it does feel like we’ve played an awful lot of games already. Also maybe having lower expectations might not be a bad thing as it may take the pressure off us slightly.

Who knows, let’s hope it’s one to remember for the right reasons anyway!

Rich
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by Rich » 10 Aug 2022, 18:03

We have had some really tough 'friendlies' this pre season and have tried a few combinations.
I thought last night things were beginning to gel after the drinks break and I'm confident that when we start the league campaign and matches mean more our quality will shine through.
Still feel a couple of players can give more than they have shown in some friendlies but against theoretically slightly weaker opponents they should up their game.
Think when Manning comes back and if we hopefully resign Holmes we will be in a much better place as I still feel despite showing some good promise our 'back up ' players are a step down from the starting guys at present.

Roll on Saturday when the proper action begins

old git
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by old git » 10 Aug 2022, 19:05

Rich wrote:
10 Aug 2022, 18:03
We have had some really tough 'friendlies' this pre season and have tried a few combinations.
I thought last night things were beginning to gel after the drinks break and I'm confident that when we start the league campaign and matches mean more our quality will shine through.
Still feel a couple of players can give more than they have shown in some friendlies but against theoretically slightly weaker opponents they should up their game.
Think when Manning comes back and if we hopefully resign Holmes we will be in a much better place as I still feel despite showing some good promise our 'back up ' players are a step down from the starting guys at present.

Roll on Saturday when the proper action begins
https://twitter.com/halesowentownfc/sta ... 1Ux9ZApzdw

RobYeltz
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by RobYeltz » 10 Aug 2022, 20:48

A really enjoyable game I thought to end our pre season. The fact we've played so many teams a level or two above us with a combination of last years players, new players and young players, with the normal pre season knocks and players away on holiday I actually think it'll help us long term.
The easy option might have been to arrange lots of games against the likes of Tividale, Cradley, Lye etc to give morale boosting goal fests but playing who we have I think will enable us to hit the ground running better on Saturday.
Quite enjoyed watching the difference in Bailey Fuller in the second half, he certainly looked like a different player with the security of the touchline behind him as opposed to the first half where (although he scored) I felt didn't really offer a great deal.
As a side note, interesting to see who gets the armband this season after it has been shared around during pre-season.
Proud owner of THREE 'Georges'

The artist previously known as AVFCYELTZ