Crewe.

Scores, live updates, discussion etc. on Yeltz matches
lutleyyeltz
Yeltz Forum Member

Crewe.

Post by lutleyyeltz » 12 Jul 2022, 22:05

Yeltz 2 - 3 Crewe.
Excellent first half from what, I assume, would be the manager's preferred lineup.
Cobourne scored in the Ist minute.
Gregory scored his goal on 38 minutes.

DJ
Yeltz Forum Member

Re: Crewe.

Post by DJ » 12 Jul 2022, 22:16

Pre-Season Friendly – Tuesday, 12th July 2022

Halesowen Town 2 Crewe Alexandra 3

League Two Crewe Alexandra came from behind to win narrowly by the odd goal in five in a good first home pre-season run out for the Yeltz, writes DJ.

The Railwaymen last played at the Grove in a 1994 pre-season friendly, winning 6-0 and included Oli Finney in their line-up, who played for the Yeltz in 2017-18 season on-loan from Crewe.

The Yeltz made a great start and took the lead with just 55 seconds on the clock after Richard Gregory played a neat lay-off to put Jamie Insall free down the right and his ball across goalkeeper Tom Booth was lashed into the roof of the net by Simeon COBOURNE at the far post.

Tom Booth parried away Insall’s 4th minute shot and with Cobourne posing further problems, his 13th minute shot was blocked with Nathan Hayward also blocked from the rebound in solid Crewe defending.

As Crewe came into the game, Dan Platt made a fine block to deny Matus Holicek who was free on goal in the 15th minute. At the other end, Nat Kelly flashed a header wide from a 23rd minute corner ahead of a much-needed drinks break. Platt made another fine low save from Finney at the end of a lightning 32nd minute Crewe break. But the visitors levelled just a minute later when trialist Chris SANG converted with a fine narrow-angled finish from the right of the penalty area.

The Yeltz retook the lead in the 38th minute from a long clearance straight to Cobourne down the right and he crossed for GREGORY to turn home at the far post, with Gregory hurting his ankle in the process.

Crewe levelled up the scores again in the last minute of the first half when Kelly was penalised, giving Crewe a free-kick on the edge of the area in a dangerous position. Although Platt made a splendid save from Sang’s free-kick, HOLICEK reacted quickly to turn home the rebound.

There were fewer chances in a quieter second period, although Kieran Morris’s header was cleared after Halesowen worked a 59th minute corner. Substitute Lewis Nolan struck the cross bar with a 67th minute header for the Alex before the visitors found their late winner. Joel Tabiner made a great 86th minute turn to strike the post from a deep cross but seconds later TABINER’s 15 yard shot was just too high for Platt and landed in the net.

Substitute Dexter Dudley-Toole’s shot form the right forced the first of two injury-time corners for the Yeltz.

Halesowen Town: Dan Platt (c); Rob Evans, Josh Quaynor, Tom Turton (Max Morris 61), Kieran Morris, Nat Kelly, McKauley Manning, Nathan Hayward (Matt Funge 61), Jamie Insall (Dexter Dudley-Toole 67), Richard Gregory (Brad Birch 46), Simeon Cobourne (Asa Charlton 77). Substitutes: Dan Brookes, Richard Smith.

Crewe Alexandra: Tom Booth; Kelvin Mellor, Sean Lawton, Owen Lunt, Lewis Billington, Billy Sass-Davies, Joel Tabiner, Luke Murphy, Chris Sang, Oli Finney, Matus Holicek. Substitutes: Luca Sant, Zak Kempster-Down, Lewis Nolan, Dave Richards (GK)

Attendance: 603

VanessaYeltz
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by VanessaYeltz » 12 Jul 2022, 22:38

Good run out and only really lost it when the full time pros of Crewe had more in their legs late on, which is to be expected.

Satisfactory overall, was impressed with the striker who came on (No.15) who whilst unorthodox had tremendous work rate and put himself about, a definite upgrade on Taylor off the bench.

Greggs has lost some timber, but still looked well off the pace - just hoping these little niggles he keeps getting stop because they’re really stalling him. Was a bit disappointed with Evans screaming “that’s fucking embarrassing” at Quaynor when Crewe scored the first, I’d personally expect a bit more positivity and leadership from a senior player myself.

Insall is an aggressive little sod, he’ll get goals for sure. Simmie also looked lively if not a little lightweight, but he was up against players with pace he won’t come up against every week.
Nice to be back and a game that’ll do us no harm at all.

AwayDayYeltz
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by AwayDayYeltz » 12 Jul 2022, 23:50

One issue I have is, after we let Joe Palmer go (who's spent so long twiddling his thumbs watching Rich-Bloody-Smith get chance after chance...) why did we decide to throw Dexter up top (A defender by trade, and someone who looked really uncomfortable) when the golden boy Richard was on the bench. Experiments are to be expected in preseason, but that was just bizarre. On one hand, I'm glad Smith didn't get a look in, but why throw on a youth team defender? Huh? I guess it tells you all you need to know about the option on the bench!
Last edited by AwayDayYeltz on 12 Jul 2022, 23:55, edited 1 time in total.
Josh - Keyboard warrior! #UpTheYeltz

AwayDayYeltz
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by AwayDayYeltz » 12 Jul 2022, 23:52

Overall, I was pleased with how we played and the attitude of the players. A really good run out with plenty of positives.
Josh - Keyboard warrior! #UpTheYeltz

GaryJ
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by GaryJ » 13 Jul 2022, 08:43

Great game thought we matched them for most of the game and much better than Saturday. Thought Morris and Funge who came on did really well and didn't look out of place, not sure about Dexter up front doesn't look comfortable. Roll on tomorrw

Rich
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by Rich » 13 Jul 2022, 18:39

Thought the starting 11 played really well. Was impressed with our new midfielders Turton and Hayward. Insall I can see being a real handful and his workrate was very impressive.
The center halves also looked solid.

Unlike others I was a little disappointed with the standard of the bench and feel we need it to be better to cover the starting guys.

In the end though a very good work out against good players.
Sim seems to be very injury prone so think we need cover and Gregs may be a 70 min man.

Also have to comment on how good the pitch was. Massive well done to all concerned

richardw
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by richardw » 14 Jul 2022, 08:53

YeltzDoc
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by YeltzDoc » 14 Jul 2022, 09:23

“Dexter Dudley-Tootle”
Hahahahhaah.

GaryJ
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by GaryJ » 14 Jul 2022, 14:35

Rich wrote:
13 Jul 2022, 18:39
Thought the starting 11 played really well. Was impressed with our new midfielders Turton and Hayward. Insall I can see being a real handful and his workrate was very impressive.
The center halves also looked solid.

Unlike others I was a little disappointed with the standard of the bench and feel we need it to be better to cover the starting guys.

In the end though a very good work out against good players.
Sim seems to be very injury prone so think we need cover and Gregs may be a 70 min man.

Also have to comment on how good the pitch was. Massive well done to all concerned
Thought Sim played well down the left first half. Greggs doesn't look fit and doesn't work hard enough up top for me.

What was wrong with the players that came off the bench, i thought did really considering only had 30 minutes to get into the game?