Pre- Season Worcester Raiders

Scores, live updates, discussion etc. on Yeltz matches
andy
Yeltz Forum Member

Re: Pre- Season Worcester Raiders

Post by andy » 07 Jul 2022, 15:03

Agree with Doc. He can 'hide' at times but he gives us something that no other player can that we've got.
Proud owner of FOUR Georges O0 O0 O0 O0

YeltzDoc
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by YeltzDoc » 07 Jul 2022, 15:35

I'm trying to think of players that have "stepped up" over the years from the "Kids" or the "Stiffs". It's surprisingly few.
I'd go with -

Andy Bradley.
Ross Collins.
Andy Lunt a bit, although I suspect that only I remember him.
That one we sold to Mansfield, although he barely played for the first team, to the extent that I can't remember his name.

I'm sure that there have been others that have contributed a bit, but really with the exception of Bradders and (d)Ross, I don't remember any being anything close to regulars in four decades.

This begs another couple of questions. "Why?" and "Why bother?".

The "Why bother?" is pretty easier to answer imo. We have to. Football clubs at all levels are community assets and should run from under-foetus age groups up to the first team. There's more to a club than the 11 on the pitch at 3pm on a Saturday.

But the "Why?" is much tougher. We've had some very good teams at both age group and reserve levels over the years, many winning leagues and cups. And the set up we have now is very professional and successful, even if I don't understand whether the changes that we've just made were necessitated by (lack of) resource or a clear strategy. But again, no transition.
Last year, Joe Palmer looked "busy" but, at best, not ready. The manager had no faith in the 'keeper. Was there a defender too?

Of course, I'd love for Max Morris, and the brilliantly monikered Messrs Funge and Dudley-Toole to step up and excel, for them as much as for us, but history's against it. And I can't quite put my finger on why that is.

There's a lot of folks on here who are involved in kid's football I imagine, as I was in the '90s and '00s, any thoughts?

piearce9
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by piearce9 » 07 Jul 2022, 15:47

It's a hard thing to explain, but I'll do my best. Bear in mind the fact that last Aug/Sept I said that he was one of the best players to EVER wear the Halesowen shirt.

Firstly, there's a definite shift in the type of player in this squad. At the back end of last season, it was evident that the dressing room wasn't cohesive and (if I'm being honest) there was a bit of blame shifting between players about "not wanting it enough" and other similar chest-beating cliches. I said that one of the key challenges was to unite the squad again and, judging by the players that have left and the players that have come in, we'll be carrying no passengers this time around. Now, unless Jack Holmes's dressing room persona is drastically different to how he is on the pitch, I can't see him fitting in with this squad at all.

Secondly, I don't think we'll be playing wingers, which is where he was most effective. He had to slot in to wing back at the end of last season and, with Lait and Finn also moved on, I don't think there's a role for him in the planned system.

Lastly, as already mentioned, he was frustratingly hot and cold, and as magical as he could be at times, he had some games where he just didn't contribute (particularly the big ones) - and this is part of the reason that our form hit the rocks repeatedly.

Added to this, he lives East Mids way somewhere and so I can't see him committing again (although he is allegedly having trials with a club nearby at the moment).

I'm loathe to say it out loud in case I curse things again but there's a player in this squad that gives us everything that Jack did, but with far more consistency, and more versatility too.

YeltzDoc
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by YeltzDoc » 07 Jul 2022, 15:53

Agreed, Jack's mercurial-ness and Smith's wingless-wonders will do for him. A shame if he goes and I hope he does well elsewhere, undoubtedly, if oddly, at a higher level.

Any thoughts on the historic lack of kids stepping up?

piearce9
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by piearce9 » 07 Jul 2022, 15:56

Was Pierpoint a Yeltz grad? I seem to recall he was "one of our own" (although fairly sure that title's been stripped from him now though)

The youth lads looked good last night. I didn't recognise Funge at first and thought he was a trialist - he looked very lively and didn't seem out of place at all. Probably should have finished the half with a hat-trick. Dexter's come straight out of the U18s and was probably one of the biggest guys on the park. They all held their own, which is massive credit to the youth set-up.

I'm all up for having a core squad of 16ish first teamers and then using these guys when we need them. There'll be at least 2 or 3 that'll make the grade this season, I'm sure of it.

piearce9
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by piearce9 » 07 Jul 2022, 15:56

Oh, and to combine the topics of mercurial wingers and youth team prospects, may I throw in Jean-Michel Gueyes.

YeltzDoc
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by YeltzDoc » 07 Jul 2022, 16:01

I don't think that either came through the ranks.

AwayDayYeltz
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by AwayDayYeltz » 07 Jul 2022, 18:19

After yesterday's goal-fest and good performance, I'm now convinced we will win the league.
Josh - Keyboard warrior! #UpTheYeltz

andy
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by andy » 07 Jul 2022, 19:08

AwayDayYeltz wrote: โ†‘
07 Jul 2022, 18:19
After yesterday's goal-fest and good performance, I'm now convinced we will win the league.
๐Ÿ˜
Wow that's an early shout! I won't be making a game until probably Leamington, so by then things should be settling into place. May even leave my decision till the first game of the season.๐Ÿค”
Look forward to hearing others nailed on predictions in the meantime.
Proud owner of FOUR Georges O0 O0 O0 O0

AwayDayYeltz
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by AwayDayYeltz » 07 Jul 2022, 19:12

andy wrote: โ†‘
07 Jul 2022, 19:08
AwayDayYeltz wrote: โ†‘
07 Jul 2022, 18:19
๐Ÿ˜
Wow that's an early shout! I won't be making a game until probably Leamington, so by then things should be settling into place. May even leave my decision till the first game of the season.๐Ÿค”
Look forward to hearing others nailed on predictions in the meantime.
You're probably aware I was being sarcastic! I never take notice of friendlies, results or performances. Although, it's always nice to see a good performance and a win. It was great to be back. I'm fed up of seeing and talking to my family on Saturdays. Can't wait to ignore them until April now.
Josh - Keyboard warrior! #UpTheYeltz