Chasetown

Scores, live updates, discussion etc. on Yeltz matches
YeltzDoc
Yeltz Forum Member

Re: Chasetown

Post by YeltzDoc » 29 Apr 2022, 13:13

A dumb question, but is it Snapper's son?

HalesowenHarry
Global Moderator

Post by HalesowenHarry » 29 Apr 2022, 13:24

YeltzDoc wrote:
29 Apr 2022, 13:13
A dumb question, but is it Snapper's son?
Yes, takes penalties too............

YeltzDoc
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by YeltzDoc » 29 Apr 2022, 13:35

I'll move my car.

crossborderYeltz
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by crossborderYeltz » 29 Apr 2022, 16:17

piearce9 wrote:
29 Apr 2022, 09:58
Another very astute post.

When people come on and start with "first time poster on here but I've been watching the Yeltz for many years" it normally follows on that they particular admirers of PLAYER X and how well PLAYER X has played and that we'd definitely do no worse than retaining PLAYER X next season, etc etc... ;)

I think it was Connor Collins many years back who signed and the very same day had an incredibly passionate (but equally anonymous) supporter on the forum.

Anyway, ignore all that. Welcome aboard, new forum friend.
Thanks (no links to player x!)

DJ
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by DJ » 29 Apr 2022, 20:42

It's taken 3 days to feel able to write this...

Northern Premier League Midlands Play-Off Semi-Final – Tuesday, 26th April 2022

Halesowen Town 0 Chasetown 1

Halesowen’s season ended in heartbreak in front of a bumper 2,573 attendance after Chasetown snatched an injury-time penalty winner to secure a home play-off final against fifth-placed Belper, writes DJ.

In openly offering his instant reaction, home manager Paul Smith magnanimously congratulated Chasetown but could not hide his disappointment. “I’m devastated to lose the game deep into injury time through a moment of madness. We had a real good go in an end-to-end and full-blooded game, even if it was a bit devoid of quality at times. We were the better side in the second half and I thought the winner would be ours as Chasetown seemed to be running out of legs. It can be a cruel game, my season’s remit was promotion and I take full responsibility for not achieving that.” The gut-wrenching agony was palpable as he then sat alone in the home dugout for twenty minutes to contemplate and try to process the evening’s drama. In the opposite camp, Chasetown manager Mark Swann praised his team’s resilience but admitted he neither saw the penalty incident nor could he bear to watch Jack Langston’s winning spot-kick.

In a high energy opening between the evenly matched local rivals, Joey Butlin’s effort was parried by home goalkeeper Dan Platt and Chasetown goalkeeper Curtis Pond made a great 5th minute save to deny Richard Gregory. Langston’s terrific 13th minute strike then rattled the home crossbar and home goalkeeper Dan Platt reacted to grab the rebound ahead of Joey Butlin in the closest chance of the first half.

As the Yeltz continued to probe forward, Robbie Bunn’s 16th minute free-kick to Nat Kelly at the far post was collected by Pond and Pond held onto Gregory’s 25 yard shot two minutes later. At the other end, Dilano Reid screwed wide for the Scholars after 23 minutes. Towards the interval Bunn beat two players but his low shot was gathered at the second attempt by Pond and lively Jack Holmes made a good 44th minute run down the right-wing, only for Pond to grab his cross.

The Yeltz gradually took the upper hand after the interval and McKauley Manning made a fine 53rd minute run, although the final ball came to nothing. Five minutes later, Ryan Winter made an excellent tackle to clear for a corner from Kyle Finn.

As the second half progressed, Halesowen looked increasingly more likely to grab a winner for a narrow victory and came close to opening the scoring as Manning threaded through for substitute Simeon Cobourne to blast wide from the left in the 62nd minute. Tricky Cobourne then curled a 25 yard shot just high two minutes later.

The Scholars’ solid defence continued to hold firm as Halesowen went closer still when Bunn combined well with Cobourne and side-stepped his marker in the 69th minute. Although Pond only partly saved Bunn’s shot, Kyle Finn was just unable to bundle home as Chasetown’s defence hacked clear.

Halesowen’s good spell of pressure continued when Luke Cox cleared the ball over his own bar before Cobourne raced down the left again with his final shot turned away for the first of two consecutive corners in the 84th minute. With the game entering the 90th minute, home substitute Michael Taylor battled through Chasetown’s penalty area but yet more last-ditch defending resulted in another Halesowen corner.

But with extra-time looking inevitable, there remained one final twist of the knife in Halesowen’s season. Platt collected the ball just ahead of Josh Mansell racing in, leaving Mansell to meet Paul McCone off the ball. Whilst breaking free, the normally ultra-reliable McCone hauled down Mansell and the referee pointed to the spot as the Chasetown full-back went spinning to the floor.

It remained for LANGSTON to slam home the penalty spot winner to Platt’s right at the death in the fourth minute of added time in front of the joyous Chasetown fans. To add insult to injury, substitute Brad Birch was then shown a straight red card for a frustrated challenge on Oli Hayward just minutes after entering play as tempers frayed between the players in the middle of the pitch.

Halesowen Town: Dan Platt; Jack Holmes, McKauley Manning, Kieran Morris, Paul McCone (c), Nat Kelly, Kyle Finn, Robbie Bunn, Chris Lait (Simeon Cobourne 60), Richard Gregory (Michael Taylor 71), Josh Hawker (Brad Birch 89). Subs Not Used: Rob Evans, Ahmed Ali.

Chasetown: Curtis Pond; Josh Mansell, Jordan Evans, Luke Cox, Ryan Wynter, Oli Hayward, Alex Melbourne (Jakob Burroughs 77), Jack Langston, Joey Butlin (Kyle Perry 90), Danny O’Callaghan (c), Dilano Reid (Harry Cunningham 71). Subs Not Used: Chris Slater, Luke McGinnell.

Referee: Liam Corrigan Attendance: 2,573
Booked: Lait (30), Kelly (59), McCone (90+3)
Sent Off: Birch (90+6)

andy
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by andy » 30 Apr 2022, 11:37

Currently in Derbyshire not far from Belper.
Oh, the irony......
Proud owner of FOUR Georges O0 O0 O0 O0

lutleyyeltz
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by lutleyyeltz » 30 Apr 2022, 16:40

Especially as, at the moment, they are winning!

drummyb
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by drummyb » 30 Apr 2022, 17:07

Or even won it. Very pleased for them. You can argue they finished 5th, way behind the pack, but thats the way it goes and clearly they organised well. I dont think anyone really thought theyd do it
Genuinely nice place to visit as well with decent fans.

Which is more than I can say for the cave trolls.

AwayDayYeltz
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by AwayDayYeltz » 30 Apr 2022, 17:17

It sums the joke of the play offs when 2nd and 3rd lose their home play off tie, then 5th place beats 4th place to 'earn' promotion.

2nd should go up automatically. End of (or 3rd in a three promotion league). But it is what it is. We wouldn't have gone up either way, so it's not sour grapes from me. It's just a farce at times.

Nothing against Belper, as DrummyB said it's a lovely club, and a pleasure to visit. All the best to them. Ultimately they took their chance and seized an opportunity.
Josh - Keyboard warrior! #UpTheYeltz

Seamus
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by Seamus » 30 Apr 2022, 17:21

Histon also relegated via playoffs so no trip there next season. One likely trip though is Boldmere St Micheals also promoted via L4/5 playoffs, another plastic pitch.