Re: Chasetown

Post by drummyb » 26 Apr 2022, 22:13

AwayDayYeltz wrote:
26 Apr 2022, 22:09
drummyb wrote:
26 Apr 2022, 21:41
Farcial penalty. Absolute disgrace.
It was a pen. No arguments.
Ill take your word bud. Didnt look it for me but meh.

Rich
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by Rich » 26 Apr 2022, 22:14

AwayDayYeltz wrote:
drummyb wrote:
Didn't see it but no need at all for Macca to touch the guy
Amazed that the ref saw it though as we were starting another attack and it must have happened well behind him

Lads gave their all and give credit to Chasetown they are a good well organised unit

drummyb
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by drummyb » 26 Apr 2022, 22:17

Rich wrote:
26 Apr 2022, 22:14
AwayDayYeltz wrote:
drummyb wrote:
Didn't see it but no need at all for Macca to touch the guy
Amazed that the ref saw it though as we were starting another attack and it must have happened well behind him

Lads gave their all and give credit to Chasetown they are a good well organised unit
Ill agree about Chasetown. I dont think they really threatened our goal, but I think just about value for the win. We played really well for 20 minutes in the second half but thats it. It highlights, however, how we are nothing without Gregs and Sim as a pairing.

AwayDayYeltz
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by AwayDayYeltz » 26 Apr 2022, 22:17

I feel sorry for Smith, to an extent. He's not the reason we lost tonight. Ultimately McCone (Who has been brilliant in his time here) had an inexcusable rush of blood of the head and gave a stupid and ridiculous pen away.

I thought we dominated the second half, and should have been leading well before that incident. But we didn't take our chances, and when you don't take chances, you get punished.

The aim in August was promotion. We had promotion in our own hands, and bottled it. We then had the play offs and bottled it. There are many reasons as to why, but ultimately the manager is answerable.

Paul, I know you read this, and please don't take this personal, you're a fantastic bloke. You've given so much time to fans, and your work around the Grove doesn't go unnoticed. You took over at a time when the relationship between club, players and fans was at an all time low, and you rebuilt that.

When you first took over, I actively hated going to the Grove. It was a chore. We were struggling to get 300 fans to watch us. But you brought us a sustained (rotational!) Squad, who we all grew to love, and brought us some sublime football. Thank you, from my heart, for bringing soul back into Halesowen Town FC. That is YOUR success. And please don't ever forget that. Promotion may not have happened in your time, but you've achieved something more important, you made it more enjoyable to attend than ever before. Look at the atmosphere now compared to then. It's so ace. For that, I'm grateful.

But ultimately it's time to move on. And that's with a genuine heavy heart. Sorry.
Last edited by AwayDayYeltz on 26 Apr 2022, 22:25, edited 1 time in total.
Josh - Keyboard warrior! #UpTheYeltz

Rich
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by Rich » 26 Apr 2022, 22:23

Smithy hasnt managed a full covid free season. I see no need for him to move on and find the suggestion ludicrous.
We will bounce back from this and next season will be an even bigger force to be reckoned with

drummyb
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by drummyb » 26 Apr 2022, 22:28

I agree. Josh speaks from his heart which is hurting. And I respect him for that. There have been mistakes made this season, no doubt, but I think its premature to talk of changing the gaffer yet. Lets see what happens next year. More importantly who we retain, because the squad as whole, has come up short.

fairweatherfan
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by fairweatherfan » 26 Apr 2022, 22:36

Some perspective (feel free to disagree - I know plenty will).

I was a huge Yeltz fan in the late ‘90s and early ‘00s but went off to uni, drifted away, and when I came back, didn’t really start going again. I’d go to the occasional game, came out for Stourbr*dge, saw a bit of the era that must not be talked of, but that was about it.

I started going again later era John Hill and saw lots of the Rob and Larry debacle. My moniker here is a knowing nod to being something of a Jonny-come-lately, but for me, the low point football wise was New Years’ Day away at Redditch in 2019. We were woeful that day - it was really painful to watch- and there wasn’t an enormous following (fair to say it wasn’t non existent, but it wasn’t huge either). Contrast that with what we’ve seen in the three years since…

I remember Nuneaton coming on New Years’ Day in 1999 and an attendance of 1500 blowing me away. How many times have we seen that this year though? These things don’t happen in vacuums. It’s part of the whole project Paul Smith has been at the centre of (I know and appreciate there are many others involved) but it would be naive I think to pretend he’s not part of it. The club is in a sensational place and making decisions on the basis of whether Joey Butlin squeezes someone’s bollocks (speculating obviously) strikes me as mental. Yes he does and says things I don’t like, but so does my boss and so does my mum. I’m not going to agree with everything and neither is anyone else.

I’m as disappointed as anyone at how this season has played out (I’ve just had a big shout and scream), but I look at where the club is (and therefore has the potential to be) and think wholesale changes would be madness. As I say, plenty will disagree and that’s your prerogative, but in context, I think the Smith era has been a success and hope it continues.

juanillo
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by juanillo » 26 Apr 2022, 22:49

I didn't think we deserved to lose on the night as overall we were the better team but as has already been said, we lost the momentum that had been building when Gregory was replaced by Taylor. I just can't fathom that one out at all. Even if he were injured, we could have shuffled the pack.

I thought Manning had a very good game and apart from when they hit the bar we restricted them to hopeful crosses and set pieces.

The penalty seemed inexplicable. Not from the fact it was given, but it just seemed needless as I thought Platt was either getting or had the ball.

It's such a disappointment. Going down a few years ago was a disaster as it's easy to go down but difficult to get back with only 2 going up.

What was Karen's speech at the end about? She started and the loudspeaker system packed in and then most people drifted off which seemed an apt anticlimactic end to the season.

410viawednesbury
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by 410viawednesbury » 26 Apr 2022, 22:50

End of season report.........not good enough .
That is all..........😔