Sutton Updates

Scores, live updates, discussion etc. on Yeltz matches
andy
Yeltz Forum Member

Re: Sutton Updates

Post by andy » 18 Apr 2022, 17:44

AwayDayYeltz wrote:
18 Apr 2022, 17:24
Dale has just said to me that I don't seem angry or bothered about the performance or result. And in truth I'm not. Why should I be bothered when the management and players aren't?

The atmosphere was as flat as the performance. The season is ending with a whimper, and it's not good enough.

Mathematically we've had a chance to win the league the last two games, but we've not played like it. Have the players given up? Are they playing for the management? They can't be arsed, neither can I. If it is Stamford away, I'm not wasting my time going. Sod them.

I've got complete apathy towards the team and club right now. The players have admitted defeat, and so have I.

I'm not sure where we go from here. But it's not the level above.
To be honest I feel exactly the same. I barely felt a tinge of disappointment when Sutton equalised because it merely summed up our last couple of months. Everybody is trying to blow it and we never take advantage. Even the Alamo at the end of games we need a result from has gone. And if Taylor gives us more options than Simmo in the last ten minutes, then I'm watching a different game. I'm not saying the players don't care, but it certainly doesn't show. I can't believe from the position we were in we haven't even taken it to the last day.
Proud owner of FOUR Georges O0 O0 O0 O0

drummyb
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by drummyb » 18 Apr 2022, 17:44

The problem for me is for every Ilkeston away, there has been a Spalding, Handsworth (yes I know it was the cup) and Chasetown. Key games, we've just played poorly. Like Josh, Im not angry. I dont agree that they cant be arsed, I just think, they flatter to deceive some times. We have some decent players, but there is no consistency.

AwayDayYeltz
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by AwayDayYeltz » 18 Apr 2022, 17:45

I think saying players 'don't care' is a cheap shot by me.

But there's a reason they're underperforming right now.
Josh - Keyboard warrior! #UpTheYeltz

Rich
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by Rich » 18 Apr 2022, 17:47

1 up at half time and not troubled at all. Was expecting us to up the tempo second half and finish in style
Cant really understand what happened
Only good thing is all top teams struggled. The league has gone now but with Chasetown and Stamford having harder games on paper than us next week We have to go to Daventry and perform!!!
Hopefully the players will reflect on today and put in a shift next week.
The only thing to add for me is what is Taylor doing on the pitch. In all the games I have seen he has given us nothing. Another who can show us why next week.

drummyb
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by drummyb » 18 Apr 2022, 17:52

Josh I dont think anyone could criticise your passion for the club dude.

Sutton upped the tempo because they wanted it more and we had no answer, other than playing sloppily. I think my comments after Taylors first game have proven accurate. Again though, he was bought in for injuries so Im not going to slate the bloke.

With John Hill in charge, we knew were crap and didnt expect anything. Our expectations have changed and sadly, the team isnt matching it.

Jefftoad76
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by Jefftoad76 » 18 Apr 2022, 17:52

From standing behind the dugouts it looked and sounded to me that the manager was just annoying the players who clearly wernt listening
To be honest the players seem fed up with his shouting off the touchline the 2 strikers who came on as sub were a waste of space and no where near good enough
2nd half we were too deep and if not for platty we could of lost that game
Why doesn't Jack Holmes just go for it instead of stopping it slows the game down and allows there players to get back it was very stop start
Ever since the spalding game the results and especially the performances have gotten worse
Poor atmosphere today I think us the fans know wer not good enough if the fans feel it then the players surely do aswell

andy
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by andy » 18 Apr 2022, 17:55

Rich wrote:
18 Apr 2022, 17:47

Only good thing is all top teams struggled. The league has gone now but with Chasetown and Stamford having harder games on paper than us next week We have to go to Daventry and perform!!!
For me I wish they hadn't struggled, it just makes it all the more frustrating that we never take advantage. And unfortunately having an easier game on paper doesn't seem to apply anymore, you'd have got decent odds on none of the top 3 winning today, all at home, and ours and Ilkeston's should have been bankers.
Proud owner of FOUR Georges O0 O0 O0 O0

AwayDayYeltz
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by AwayDayYeltz » 18 Apr 2022, 17:57

andy wrote:
18 Apr 2022, 17:55
Rich wrote:
18 Apr 2022, 17:47

For me I wish they hadn't struggled, it just makes it all the more frustrating that we never take advantage. And unfortunately having an easier game on paper doesn't seem to apply anymore, you'd have got decent odds on none of the top 3 winning today, all at home, and ours and Ilkeston's should have been bankers.
This. Hence my post on the main forum. We've lost the league. Ilkeston haven't won it.
Josh - Keyboard warrior! #UpTheYeltz

DJ
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by DJ » 18 Apr 2022, 18:12

Northern Premier League Midlands – Monday, 18th April 2022

Halesowen Town 1 Sutton Coldfield Town 1

Halesowen could only manage a draw against fourth-bottom Sutton Coldfield following a second-half fade-out after looking on course for a comfortable victory at the interval, writes DJ.

In a vital game, the Yeltz were attempting to secure a second-place finish, leading to a home play-off tie, but ended up staring at a fourth placed finish and an away tie.

Home manager Paul Smith couldn’t hide his disappointment and admitted he felt deflated. “We controlled the first half but didn’t capitalise. Sutton had a good 15-minute spell in the second half and we stopped being brave. I don’t really have the answers why our second half was so poor - it sums up the season. We let ourselves down, it’s four points dropped over Easter.”

Halesowen had all the possession in a dominant first period but initially came up against a defiant Royals defence. Lively Jack Holmes set up Kyle Finn to flick at goalkeeper Jonathan Brown after just 18 seconds and Chris Lait slotted into the team after a break of several weeks to earn a 13th minute corner before shooting over the bar two minutes later. In one-way traffic Halesowen then forced three corners in quick succession mid-way through the first half and Robbie Bunn crossed along the penalty area in the 32nd minute.

The Yeltz finally found a breakthrough to take a 38th minute lead when Holmes skipped past two defenders and set up Kyle FINN to fire home. Late in the first half Brown then made two good saves to deny Lait.

But it all went wrong for the Yeltz in a dreadful second half performance as the Royals were let back into the game. The first major warning sign came in the 63rd minute when home goalkeeper and captain for the day Dan Platt was forced to make a good save. The Royals then equalised in the 68th minute when Nathan Caine played the ball for fellow substitute Callum KING-HARMES to score with a low shot from the edge of the penalty area, less than a minute after arriving on the pitch. King-Harmes went close again in the 74th minute before Halesowen made a late triple substitution to try to regain the initiative.

Halesowen huffed and puffed to end the game mostly on top but clear chances remained few, although Brown made a good 77th minute save from home substitute Richard Smith. Three minutes later Smith was unlucky when he headed a rebound into the net but was ruled offside after Brown initially made a good save. Brown then collected McKauley Manning’s 83rd minute cross well.

The Royals were almost gifted an unlikely 86th minute winner when Rob Evans’s weak back header fell to substitute Harry Crook, but he lofted his great chance just over the bar.

Halesowen Town: Dan Platt (c); Jack Holmes, McKauley Manning, Rob Evans, Kieran Morris, Nat Kelly, Kyle Finn, Robbie Bunn, Simeon Cobourne (Michael Taylor 75), Chris Lait (Richard Smith 75), Josh Hawker (Ahmed Ali 75). Subs Not Used: Dan Brookes, Josh Ezewele.

Sutton Coldfield Town: Jonathan Brown; Tom Hurley, Thomas Armitage, Aris Christophorou (c), James Beresford, Luke Redfern, Angelo Njong (Callum King-Harmes 67), Jack Burgess, Curvin Ellis (Harry Crook 72), Leo Brown (Nathan Caine 60), Brett Lloyd. Subs Not Used: Benni Wilson, Kieran Hart.

Referee: Liam Corbett Attendance: 1,654
Booked: None
‘Tulleys Print’ HTFC Man of the Match selected by Martin and Cillian Baker: Robbie Bunn

juanillo
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by juanillo » 18 Apr 2022, 18:25

Well Sutton managed to lose at home to Histon on Saturday which is am achievement in itself. I am utterly perplexed by today's performance. I know Stamford have a tougher assignment on Saturday against Carlton who still have something to play for but I suspect they'll win. Who knows? They may even win the league, but Wisbech won't trouble Ilkeston.

I know we were poor in the 2nd half and needed a win but bringing on those substitutes were never going to make a difference.