Corby Updates

Scores, live updates, discussion etc. on Yeltz matches
binoculars
Yeltz Forum Member

Re: Corby Updates

Post by binoculars » 12 Mar 2022, 21:47

fairweatherfan wrote:
12 Mar 2022, 15:32
Terrible game. Combination of poor pitch and wind. Nothing much at either end. Has also been some trouble which appears to have been initiated by some inebriated Scottish children.
I think those involved should've known better than to go into a 'home end' and taunt the locals with the WE LIVE AND DIE flag.

fairweatherfan
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by fairweatherfan » 12 Mar 2022, 22:26

Yeah now in possession of more details, it does seem a rather incendiary move, but the ridiculousness of the kids crashing their £2 coins on the turnstile ledge for under 16 entrance and then immediately buying beers in the bar stands as a general point.

AwayDayYeltz
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by AwayDayYeltz » 13 Mar 2022, 08:59

If we don't win the league, we've only ourselves to blame. Failure to see out these last two matches could potentially cost us dearly.

Ilkeston and Chasetown are dropping points, but we're not capitalising. If either went on a 10 game winning run, and went on to win the league, you'd have to hold your hands up and say fair play. But that's not happening and we're throwing away a good chance.

I hope we don't end up regretting the last two weeks, because we've squandered a very good opportunity to move four points clear and get a real stranglehold on promotion.

In isolation two draws away at Carlton and Corby isn't bad. They're two decent sides and two very tough places to go. But draws are no good to us right now.

Yes, we're still in a healthy psoiton, but it's all very frustrating.

3 teams on equal points will make for an exciting end of the season. I don't want excitement. I want to be well clear of the pack, and have boring games with deckchairs and cigars on the go.
Josh - Keyboard warrior! #UpTheYeltz

old git
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by old git » 13 Mar 2022, 11:13

If you put aside personal emotions, and look at the last two games from neutral eyes then what you see is …
Carlton, a tough team who have been up there in the top ten all season, and you would say a point would be a good result. Add in real time the hurricane blowing down the pitch and the surface which resembled a corrugated sheet, then a point was a great result. And if Jacks late shot had gone in making it 3-1 instead of hitting the bar it would have been game over and a brilliant result.
Corby, after the change of manager, have been a different side recently, back to the Corby we expect. Again a neutral would think a point a good result. But also again a gale blowing destroyed any chance of a feast of football, and if Taylor was a side 9 instead of an 8 it would have been 3-1 and game over, that’s how close he was to that late cross.
One final question for those that were at both games .. with time running down in both matches and 3-2 at Carlton and 2-1 at Corby how tense did you feel? And why should we expect the players to feel any differently?

Anyway, after 60 years of watching football I will bet with anybody that none of the top three will win every remaining game, so all still to play for.

Let’s not let disappointment turn into apathy. Mental strength of the players is going to decide this title and we all need to give 100% off the field as well.

drummyb
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by drummyb » 13 Mar 2022, 11:32

AwayDayYeltz wrote:
13 Mar 2022, 08:59
If we don't win the league, we've only ourselves to blame. Failure to see out these last two matches could potentially cost us dearly.

Ilkeston and Chasetown are dropping points, but we're not capitalising. If either went on a 10 game winning run, and went on to win the league, you'd have to hold your hands up and say fair play. But that's not happening and we're throwing away a good chance.

I hope we don't end up regretting the last two weeks, because we've squandered a very good opportunity to move four points clear and get a real stranglehold on promotion.

In isolation two draws away at Carlton and Corby isn't bad. They're two decent sides and two very tough places to go. But draws are no good to us right now.

Yes, we're still in a healthy psoiton, but it's all very frustrating.

3 teams on equal points will make for an exciting end of the season. I don't want excitement. I want to be well clear of the pack, and have boring games with deckchairs and cigars on the go.
That for me is whats generating the concerns here. We should have been promoted 2 seasons ago, but world events dictated otherwise. That caused frustration. From that, I think the expectation levels are way different. The reality of football is, we will drop points, play well and lose etc etc. The expectation we will walk this league is/was unrealistic.

I dont honestly know what difference promotion makes at our level, financially but would we then expect to walk that league, be happy with mid table or what?? We are still very much a club being built but way off national league standards. Even if we stay at this level, as long as we play well and challenge, we build up the coffers through the gates.
Ive actually enjoyed the roller coaster of this season and seen new grounds as a bonus. Even if it has been frustrating at times.

As a side, I said we'd miss Sim and so its proved. But lets take the pressure off the team a bit and rally round. Not blindly, but lets try and do our bit.

AwayDayYeltz
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by AwayDayYeltz » 13 Mar 2022, 11:50

Financially I'm not sure it would make a difference, save for potentially bigger crowds?

Also, we simply must get promoted. I can't go to Carlton again. It's a s***hole.

AwayDayYeltz
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by AwayDayYeltz » 13 Mar 2022, 11:51

old git wrote:
13 Mar 2022, 11:13
If you put aside personal emotions, and look at the last two games from neutral eyes then what you see is …
Carlton, a tough team who have been up there in the top ten all season, and you would say a point would be a good result. Add in real time the hurricane blowing down the pitch and the surface which resembled a corrugated sheet, then a point was a great result. And if Jacks late shot had gone in making it 3-1 instead of hitting the bar it would have been game over and a brilliant result.
Corby, after the change of manager, have been a different side recently, back to the Corby we expect. Again a neutral would think a point a good result. But also again a gale blowing destroyed any chance of a feast of football, and if Taylor was a side 9 instead of an 8 it would have been 3-1 and game over, that’s how close he was to that late cross.
One final question for those that were at both games .. with time running down in both matches and 3-2 at Carlton and 2-1 at Corby how tense did you feel? And why should we expect the players to feel any differently?

Anyway, after 60 years of watching football I will bet with anybody that none of the top three will win every remaining game, so all still to play for.

Let’s not let disappointment turn into apathy. Mental strength of the players is going to decide this title and we all need to give 100% off the field as well.
This is far too reasonable.

I don't like it! :-*

fairweatherfan
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by fairweatherfan » 13 Mar 2022, 12:21

old git wrote:
13 Mar 2022, 11:13

This is spot on. Another way of looking at it is that after the Spalding game on the 26th, we were three points off the top. Now we're back level. It's disappointing not to be four points clear, but that's football. What I actually found more heartening was that with our backs to the wall (unlike against Coleshill at home, Ilkeston at home, Spalding at home, and Shepshed away) we dug deep and found something. That we let it slip colours the way we think about it.

All that said, I would make the other two marginal favourites now, but there's a fag paper in it.

drummyb
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by drummyb » 13 Mar 2022, 12:40

AwayDayYeltz wrote:
13 Mar 2022, 11:50
Financially I'm not sure it would make a difference, save for potentially bigger crowds?

Also, we simply must get promoted. I can't go to Carlton again. It's a s***hole.
Lol. Clearly youre missing the Wickes fencing at Alvechurch!!

andy
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by andy » 13 Mar 2022, 13:29

Brilliant posts by all! Covers all the emotions and possibilities. Two of the teams on the last day will be rueing the 'ifs', and if we are one of them they will be hard to swallow. If we're not...... 😁
Proud owner of FOUR Georges O0 O0 O0 O0