Spalding Updates

Scores, live updates, discussion etc. on Yeltz matches
drummyb
Yeltz Forum Member

Re: Spalding Updates

Post by drummyb » 05 Feb 2022, 18:46

fairweatherfan wrote:
05 Feb 2022, 18:33
We’re three points behind them, so we can hardly be said to have been much less consistent! The proof of the pudding will be in the eating, but I’d rather be in our position based on sound money than theirs (strongly suspect they’ve staked the house on going up).

Urgh… I sound like Rishi Sunak. I’m off to have a bath.
I wouldnt know about them, Ive only seen them once. Ive watched us lots and we had a run of poor performances and results, that if we had played like we can, we would have more points than we do. No, we arent in a bad position, but Id rather not have the lottery of play offs. It would be an anti climax not to get promoted, after two cancelled seasons of hope, but then I also think we are in a healthy position as a club and
You are right. Behind the scenes, we have people thay want the best for our club.

fairweatherfan
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by fairweatherfan » 05 Feb 2022, 18:51

andy wrote:
05 Feb 2022, 18:42
drummyb wrote:
05 Feb 2022, 18:28
fairweatherfan wrote:
05 Feb 2022, 18:26
You may well be right about the title, but 12 games is a lot, and there are a lot of intangibles. We certainly haven’t helped ourselves today, but this feels a bit getting very carried away with one loss (albeit with an abject performance).
Thats also true. But we've had the abject performances already. League winners are the most consistent. I dont think we can say we have been consistent.
That's the annoying part. On our day there is not a team in this league could live with us. League winners though grind out 1-0s on a bad day.
The performance today was arguably worse than Shepshed, but I’m considerably more sanguine on this occasion because of the context. Shepshed was the culmination of a period of rubbish, whereas given things since then have been a world apart, feel the team probably deserve to have this put down to just a bad day at the office.

We were missing three key players through not being available, the wind was difficult, and the ref was frankly embarrassing. Had he sent their number 8 off when he should have done in the first half, we probably end up with a different result.

Not that it was good enough, but we *have* ground out 1-0s in difficult circumstances (Wisbech, for example). If Ilkeston win their next 12 then good luck to them, but I’d happily stick a gold doubloon on it that if we take 30 points from the next 36, we’ll go up as champions.

drummyb
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by drummyb » 05 Feb 2022, 18:53

fairweatherfan wrote:
05 Feb 2022, 18:51
andy wrote:
05 Feb 2022, 18:42
drummyb wrote:
05 Feb 2022, 18:28

Thats also true. But we've had the abject performances already. League winners are the most consistent. I dont think we can say we have been consistent.
That's the annoying part. On our day there is not a team in this league could live with us. League winners though grind out 1-0s on a bad day.
The performance today was arguably worse than Shepshed, but I’m considerably more sanguine on this occasion because of the context. Shepshed was the culmination of a period of rubbish, whereas given things since then have been a world apart, feel the team probably deserve to have this put down to just a bad day at the office.

We were missing three key players through not being available, the wind was difficult, and the ref was frankly embarrassing. Had he sent their number 8 off when he should have done in the first half, we probably end up with a different result.

Not that it was good enough, but we *have* ground out 1-0s in difficult circumstances (Wisbech, for example). If Ilkeston win their next 12 then good luck to them, but I’d happily stick a gold doubloon on it that if we take 30 points from the next 36, we’ll go up as champions.
Ohhh thats a brave last statement. I admire your optimism there!!! I however, am a born pessimist!!!

lutleyyeltz
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by lutleyyeltz » 05 Feb 2022, 19:07

A disjointed performance which has, possibly, consigned us to the playoffs.
As for Holmes and Lait producing " moments of magic" they both had ample opportunity to do that before being replaced.
Jack Holmes has fantastic ability but, without being overly critical of the lad, he seems to lack the knowhow of when to release the ball after getting into great positions.
As a general observation we do seem to take a few touches too many when it would appear to be better to 'have a dig.'
Last edited by lutleyyeltz on 05 Feb 2022, 19:15, edited 1 time in total.

drummyb
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by drummyb » 05 Feb 2022, 19:13

lutleyyeltz wrote:
05 Feb 2022, 19:07
A disjointed performance which has, possibly, consigned us for the playoffs.
As for Holmes and Lait.producimg "a .omens of magic" they both had entered.jf opportunity to do that before being hooked off.
Jack Holmes has fantastic ability but, without being personal to the lad, he seems to lack the knowhow of when to release the ball after getting into great positions.
And also takes the ball round them, then takes it back to have another go :-D

fairweatherfan
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by fairweatherfan » 05 Feb 2022, 19:13

On a completely different note, someone throwing coins at opposition players? Seriously? What is wrong with people?!

Rich
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by Rich » 05 Feb 2022, 20:06

drummyb wrote:
05 Feb 2022, 17:45
Yeah. And crazy thing is, he did nothing all game , acted as peacemaker on several occasions, took loads of stick and scored an absolute belter. Gotta respect the bloke.
Got to disagree with this.
He won virtually every header, especially off throw ins. His control and holding up the ball was excellent. He played some lovely balls through our defence and some clever flicks. Oh and he managed to shoot on target.
In summary just about everything we didnt manage to do today.
Also liked his attitude, always had a smile on his face and the banter both during and after the game was very refreshing.

More on my thoughts of our guys when Im a bit calmer

drummyb
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by drummyb » 05 Feb 2022, 21:04

Rich wrote:
05 Feb 2022, 20:06
drummyb wrote:
Yeah. And crazy thing is, he did nothing all game , acted as peacemaker on several occasions, took loads of stick and scored an absolute belter. Gotta respect the bloke.
He won virtually every header, especially off throw ins. His control and holding up the ball was excellent. He played some lovely balls through our defence and some clever flicks. Oh and he managed to shoot on target.
Also liked his attitude, always had a smile on his face and the banter both during and after the game was very refreshing.

Ah the banter word. I actually laughed when he lifted his shirt after the goal. Not at him, but for him so Im with you whole heartedly on his attitude. Any player that gives his all is right up there imho, likewise for peacemaking.

As for the rest of your post, I get your point but on any other day he'd have been a bystander.

andy
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by andy » 05 Feb 2022, 21:34

Rich wrote:
05 Feb 2022, 20:06
drummyb wrote:

Got to be honest Rich I totally agree with you. We all thought this bloke must have played at a higher level and let himself go a bit. Showed some lovely touches.
drummyb wrote:
05 Feb 2022, 19:13

And also takes the ball round them, then takes it back to have another go :-D
You're right about Jack taking the ball round players but he didn't have another go with the aforementioned number 9. He found a shorter route round the M25....
Proud owner of FOUR Georges O0 O0 O0 O0

DJ
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by DJ » 05 Feb 2022, 22:12

Northern Premier League Midlands - Saturday, 5th February 2022

Halesowen Town 0 Spalding United 1

Spalding's Gregg Smith smashed home a 75th minute winner to spring a
surprise and end Halesowen's long unbeaten run, writes DJ.

Despite being injury-depleted, honest Halesowen manager Paul Smith made no
excuses at all. "It was very flat and after a good week we didn't see that
coming. We lost all the individual battles on the pitch and it was not a
performance to win leagues."

Halesowen earned two early corners but it was otherwise a scrappy start to
the game. The Tulips gradually eased into action and leading striker Jordan
Macleod hit a good chance high over the bar after Toby Scott was
dispossessed in the 18th minute.

The Yeltz found it difficult to create chances and had to wait until the
25th minute when goalkeeper Michael Duggan collected Kyle Finn's looping
effort. McKauley Manning's 32nd minute free-kick then drifted straight
through the Spalding penalty area.

Mid-table Spalding created the best chance to date in the 35th minute when
the ball was threaded straight through the centre to Macleod, but home
goalkeeper Dan Platt raced out to make a superb blocking save.

With the Yeltz continuing to struggle, two more home corners came to nothing
and already booked Stefan Broccoli was possibly fortunate to stay on the
pitch for Spalding after a challenge on Toby Scott. Halesowen's best chance
of their disjointed first half came when Chris Lait's 42nd minute curling
effort was tipped away by goalkeeper Duggan.

The second period continued in a flat manner from the home side's
perspective as Spalding's Macleod beat Josh Ezewele in the 51st minute,
leaving Paul McCone to make a great block to concede a corner. Three minutes
later, Finn ran down the centre but his low shot was easily saved by Duggan
as Halesowen struggled to find a breakthrough. Duggan then made a good 63rd
minute save after substitute Richard Gregory laid the ball off to fellow
substitute Simeon Cobourne.

Macleod forged two more chances for the visitors before the Tulips hit their
75th minute winner when the ball was played across the front edge of the
penalty area for experienced ex-King's Lynn and Boston striker SMITH
to unleash an unstoppable shot down the centre of goal.

Platt made another 80th minute low save near his post from Spalding
substitute Ben Seymour-Stove, but the visitors continued to defend well for
the final ten minutes with Duggan grabbing the ball under his bar after
Cobourne played the ball to Finn. Cobourne was then denied in the last
minute with the ball held deep in Spalding's penalty area.

Halesowen Town: Dan Platt; Josh Ezewele, McKauley Manning, Toby Scott, Paul
McCone (c), Nat Kelly, Chris Lait (Simeon Cobourne 61), Brad Birch (Ahmed
Ali 74), Richard Smith, Jack Holmes (Richard Gregory 61), Kyle Finn. Subs
Not Used: Dan Brookes, Joe Palmer.

Spalding United: Michael Duggan; Scott Floyd, Gianiuca Bucci, Liam Marshall,
Nathan Stanfield, Sam Cartwright, Archie Jones, Stefan Broccoli, Gregg
Smith, Jordan Macleod (Chris Ward 89), Ben Starkie (Ben Seymour-Shove 68).
Subs Not Used: Abdul Korma, Ryan Flitton.

Referee: Luis Martin                 Attendance: 1076
Booked: Stanfield (22), Broccoli (31), Scott (38), Jones (57), Birch (73), Cartwright (88)
'Tulleys Print' HTFC Man of the Match selected by Lewis Barmforth: McKauley Manning