Spalding Updates

Scores, live updates, discussion etc. on Yeltz matches
HalesowenHarry
Global Moderator

Re: Spalding Updates

Post by HalesowenHarry » 05 Feb 2022, 18:14

I do however think we need to congratulate Ilson and their super fans on wrapping up the title this weekend and only hope we have enough in the bank to make the play offs and seal a couple of wins to join them in the higher league next season...........

juanillo
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by juanillo » 05 Feb 2022, 18:15

piearce9 wrote:
05 Feb 2022, 18:10
The absence of both Sim and Gregs in the team raised an eyebrow today but I did really think it was a smart move (at the time). Bring them on if we need a goal, otherwise let them have the rest and keep them fresh for Monday. That was the theory, anyway.

However, it was a bridge too far. We had too many key players out and it really was a square peg, round hole lineup at the end. You have to wonder about match fitness of the players on the pitch too.

I’d have maybe kept Holmes on for longer. He had a stinker but (with Lait too) they only need one moment of magic to make the difference. I know the party line is that there’s still plenty of time to go but I think that’s the title out of our grasp now.
I don't get the idea of resting players at all when we need to win and it's not as if we have a backlog of fixtures this season.

We were shapeless all game and nothing was sticking up top, so it was puzzling why that never changed all game

andy
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by andy » 05 Feb 2022, 18:18

Hmm. Just about confirmed my thoughts before last week's game. That game was built up as a title winning match as if the next 12 game didn't matter. And watching our players today it seems they absolutely don't matter. As if it is not bad enough having Hawker, Wright and Evans out we then take Manning out of the midfield as well and don't play Cobourne and Gregory. Or even Ali for that matter. I don't care about having to play Coleshill on Monday, because we've already lost the 3 points we were hoping for there, with that abject performance today. And we still might not get anything Monday anyway. PLAY THE STRONGEST ELEVEN!!!!
Proud owner of FOUR Georges O0 O0 O0 O0

drummyb
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by drummyb » 05 Feb 2022, 18:21

I'd agree about the title. We stepped back today to the blip from about 10 games ago. At the end of the day, the best team wins the league, and I dont think we can argue we have been.
And it was not playing the strongest 11 that did us earlier this season. And again today.
Last edited by drummyb on 05 Feb 2022, 18:25, edited 1 time in total.

andy
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by andy » 05 Feb 2022, 18:24

HalesowenHarry wrote:
05 Feb 2022, 18:14
I do however think we need to congratulate Ilson and their super fans on wrapping up the title this weekend and only hope we have enough in the bank to make the play offs and seal a couple of wins to join them in the higher league next season...........
I appreciate that your post is very much tongue in cheek, I also believe there is a long, long way to go yet. But that is just my point. It's no good treating some games like one off cup finals and not turn up at the others. It's playing into the other contenders hands as far as I'm concerned.

fairweatherfan
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by fairweatherfan » 05 Feb 2022, 18:26

You may well be right about the title, but 12 games is a lot, and there are a lot of intangibles. We certainly haven’t helped ourselves today, but this feels a bit getting very carried away with one loss (albeit with an abject performance).

drummyb
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by drummyb » 05 Feb 2022, 18:28

fairweatherfan wrote:
05 Feb 2022, 18:26
You may well be right about the title, but 12 games is a lot, and there are a lot of intangibles. We certainly haven’t helped ourselves today, but this feels a bit getting very carried away with one loss (albeit with an abject performance).
Thats also true. But we've had the abject performances already. League winners are the most consistent. I dont think we can say we have been consistent.

fairweatherfan
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by fairweatherfan » 05 Feb 2022, 18:33

We’re three points behind them, so we can hardly be said to have been much less consistent! The proof of the pudding will be in the eating, but I’d rather be in our position based on sound money than theirs (strongly suspect they’ve staked the house on going up).

Urgh… I sound like Rishi Sunak. I’m off to have a bath.

piearce9
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by piearce9 » 05 Feb 2022, 18:34

I’m not sure if “rested” is the right term. More about trying to avoid playing players carrying knocks and giving them space to recover.

andy
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by andy » 05 Feb 2022, 18:42

drummyb wrote:
05 Feb 2022, 18:28
fairweatherfan wrote:
05 Feb 2022, 18:26
Thats also true. But we've had the abject performances already. League winners are the most consistent. I dont think we can say we have been consistent.
That's the annoying part. On our day there is not a team in this league could live with us. League winners though grind out 1-0s on a bad day.