andy
Yeltz Forum Member

Re: Ilkeston Updates

Post by andy » 03 Feb 2022, 17:28

Westyeltz wrote:
03 Feb 2022, 12:51
https://www.ht-fc.co.uk/club

And so say all of us!
Excellent to see our Club trying to weed out the f*ckwits. We don't need 'em. The league wont tolerate much of it and then we could get hit with repercussions. Hope Ilkeston get their man and make him pay. Over the years everywhere we went everybody loved having us there and the Grove has always been a place away fans love visiting. But I guess success attracts morons and the sooner we are rid, the better. Everybody loves us having big followings, I would rather have a few less and let the silly little children go back to Villa/Blues/Albion/Wolves.
Proud owner of FOUR Georges O0 O0 O0 O0

Westyeltz
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by Westyeltz » 03 Feb 2022, 18:07

andy wrote:
03 Feb 2022, 17:28

I would rather have a few less and let the silly little children go back to Villa/Blues/Albion/Wolves.
[/quote]
Probably the same ones who've upset H.I.M Yeltzdoc by liking identikit football gounds (see below) ;)

Westyeltz
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by Westyeltz » 03 Feb 2022, 18:07

Westyeltz wrote:
03 Feb 2022, 18:07
andy wrote:
03 Feb 2022, 17:28

I would rather have a few less and let the silly little children go back to Villa/Blues/Albion/Wolves.

Probably the same ones who've upset H.I.M Yeltzdoc by liking identikit football gounds (see below) ;)

andy
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by andy » 03 Feb 2022, 18:14

How the hell have you achieved that box mania!?😂

Westyeltz
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by Westyeltz » 03 Feb 2022, 19:08

andy wrote:
03 Feb 2022, 18:14
How the hell have you achieved that box mania!?😂
Easy - for an IT Supremo. Like me. And Poll. :)

No9Bus
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by No9Bus » 04 Feb 2022, 09:41

Well said Andy. It’s certainly the case that success attracts – let’s face it, the estimated number that travelled to Ilkeston was more than we had at most home games in our dreadful last two seasons in the NPL, but I worry that general behaviour has deteriorated this season. Looking around, in addition to the nonsense last Saturday, there have been problems of one kind or another at a few fairly local places in the last couple of months, including Tamworth, Bromsgrove and Hednesford in the SPL (who naturally we'll be hoping to play next season), and a few weeks ago we had the situation of one of our players reportedly being punched at an away game. As someone else on this forum mentioned recently, at times what passes for “banter” these days is often close to the edge. Concerns have also been widely reported regarding the big increase in incidents at National League level. I’m all for encouraging youngsters to support their local team, but do worry that for some of them, the fun of being able to run around, shout abuse and be a general prat without much risk of being at least thrown out of the ground presents problems for clubs and “proper” supporters that outweighs the benefits of higher attendances. Let’s face it, given the tenuous level of support some of these have for the club, a banning order is hardly likely to ruin their lives, but equally I’m not sure what more affected clubs can really do to address the issue. If trouble continues, or worsens, some of the aspects which I’m sure we all love about attending games at this and the level above could be at risk of being lost; pay at the gate, no segregation, chatting to opposition supporters, having a pint on the terraces, etc. let alone the risk of sanctions being imposed by the league. Am I being over-concerned at this? Anyone else feel the same?

YeltzDoc
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by YeltzDoc » 04 Feb 2022, 11:33

An eloquent addition, very welcome No9Bus.

I'm torn. It's easy to roll out the sanctimonious pearl-clutching, and holler, "Won't somebody think of the children?" whenever a stray punch or flare is thrown.
Compared to the "proper" stuff of the '70s and '80s this wasn't so much a storm-in-a-teacup as a fart-in-the-font. As I put elsewhere, nothing to see here, move on.
And that's in no way meant to trivialise the criminal damage or anti-social behaviour, or glamorise the past nasty stuff that even went on in our matches. A few of the greyer heads will remember the bloke who was stabbed and led away, blood-soaked, across the pitch at The War Memorial in the mid-'80s, not to mention a fun trip to Frickley and some nastiness with VS "fans" in '83.

I just think we need to take a breath.

It's not a Yeltz problem, it's not a football problem, I don't even think that it's a (new) society problem.
It's just that large groups of young men with higher ABVs than IQs will lead to some issues. And it no more merits a draconian response now than it did when a flare was chucked at Hednesford last year or when the peasants revolted in the 14th century (I heard Wat Tyler's mob were mostly Albion and Derby fans anyway).

The Idiot Quotient will go up when the size of any gathering goes up. We, Ilkeston, and everybody else must prepare appropriately, manage sensibly, and accept any issues as part of the game.
A shame for our Derbyshire friends that the damage to the pitch runs to five figures, but that's an understood risk of a plastic pitch, a new strip of greengrocer's grass is a damn sight dearer than a divot. And I hope they find the knob and do him for criminal damage, possession of pyrotechnics and, from what I've seen, being dressed like the Green Street binman.

But we shouldn't worry that it's indicative of a greater malaise, either in B63 or the world at large.
We'll do our job and, disappointingly, they'll also do theirs.
It's up to us to manage the Military 7Ps and the consequences of not quite having got it right.

Onwards!

piearce9
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by piearce9 » 04 Feb 2022, 12:47

I do understand the OP concerns on this, but I'm in a similar headspace to Doc.

I had a few people ask me about "what happened" at Ilkeston, half expectant that I'd give a gory tale of violence and crowd trouble, which clearly wasn't the case. Instead, there were some big positives to take - the Halesowen away support was superb and it was genuinely a great game, as well as a fun day out. Exactly the kind of occasion people were looking forward to. Important we don't overlook that.

I understand that there are challenges that come hand-in-hand with the bigger attendances though, and the trick is to try and set expectations with the newbies. The general "spirit" of the Halesowen support is self-evident, and so hopefully people will fall in line eventually and the real naughty boys (of which there were a handful on Saturday, I can't deny) will drift away.

I know the club are concerned as there are an accumulation of small incidents now (my clear favourite being the crutch attack on the Carlton player) and the worry that a sanction may be close - with the league doing that multiple-pointing-gesture that refs do.

That all said, I think we've got to keep the buzz going now and encouraging the good support to continue - it's all set to be a very exciting title race and we shouldn't put the brakes on when things are generally very positive.

andy
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by andy » 04 Feb 2022, 13:06

Two great posts YD and Mr bus. As one of the grey hair mob I can very much remember the fun and games of the 70s and 80s. Going to the grounds of the West Ham's, Chelsea's, Leeds, Liverpool's and most everybody else to be fair were more than often than not scary experiences. Even Non League had its problems. But a lot of that disappeared from the near vicinity and inside grounds for a good number of years. In recent years it seems to be creeping back, albeit at our level as Doc says, nothing much to be concerned about. My problem is if it is not nipped in the bud, to those people it becomes the norm and little by little, drip by drip, the match day for everybody else becomes tiresome. The Club starts getting fines, points deductions etc and the 'real' fans suffer. As Doc says it really is nothing at the moment (though Ilkeston's bean counter will not agree) but the trend has to be stopped.

YeltzDoc
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by YeltzDoc » 04 Feb 2022, 16:59

andy wrote:
04 Feb 2022, 13:06
My problem is if it is not nipped in the bud, to those people it becomes the norm and little by little, drip by drip, the match day for everybody else becomes tiresome.
The Club starts getting fines, points deductions etc and the 'real' fans suffer.
Don't be such a miserable git.