Daventry

Scores, live updates, discussion etc. on Yeltz matches
piearce9
Yeltz Forum Member

Re: Daventry

Post by piearce9 » 04 Dec 2021, 22:00

Seamus wrote:
04 Dec 2021, 20:21
Can anyone please tell me why Wright was booked today?
Happened directly in front of me but I have no idea at all.
He was time wasting. Looked like he did the old classic where he was thrown a ball to take the throw in and forgot how his arms worked to catch it. Not normally a booking.

On the Hawker challenge, I thought he was lucky to get a yellow but I was quite a way from it. I had the same foreboding feeling that I had before Jack Holmes got his red but then Daventry didn’t swamp the ref, which was a crucial difference.

DJ
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by DJ » 04 Dec 2021, 23:35

Northern Premier League Midlands – Saturday, 4th December 2021

Halesowen Town 2 Daventry Town 1

Third-placed Halesowen secured a much-needed home victory after two goals in four minutes at the end of the first half proved just enough to overcome Daventry’s resistance, writes David Johnson.

Prior to the kick-off a one-minute silence was held in remembrance of both dedicated former Director/Committee member Kevin Bissell and steward Keith Chapman.

The Yeltz created all the early danger but found Daventry goalkeeper James Martin in superb form. Martin saved when Chris Lait was free in the 2nd minute and blocked again five minutes later in a one-on-one with Simeon Cobourne with the rebound from Brad Birch - on his home debut - also cleared.

Martin then held onto Jordan Goddard’s 15th minute effort after good work from Birch down the left with Cobourne ready to pounce, before also denying McKauley Manning’s 28th minute shot.

But Daventry weathered the storm and ventured forward with Tom Lorraine hitting over the bar down the centre after 37 minutes. The visitors then stunned the Grove by snatching the lead when a 38th minute corner was only partly cleared and the ball fell for Nat GOSNAL-TYLER to fire home a great shot into the top corner from just outside the area.

However the Yeltz moved up a gear to turn the game around in the last four minutes of the first half. Firstly, GODDARD side-stepped his marker to smash home through a crowded defence after Birch did well to cross from the right after 42 minutes. Secondly, COBOURNE then gave Halesowen a 2-1 lead in the 45th minute with a low header at the far post from Lewis Wright’s superb right wing cross.

After the interval Daventry goalkeeper Martin continued his good form by holding onto Josh Hawker’s 48th minute effort. But Halesowen missed a golden 53rd minute opportunity to increase their lead when Cobourne fired wide from the penalty spot after Callum Martin impeded a surging run by Rob Evans. Lait then cut in from the left in the 58th minute to shoot over the angle.

The Greens continued to battle away and the three points were far from safe for Halesowen as the visitors applied late pressure, starting with George Ball striking past the post after 84 minutes. There was further late danger for Halesowen with two long Daventry throw-ins in injury time, followed by a corner, where even goalkeeper Martin joined the attack. After Martin raced back to snatch the ball from home substitute Joe Palmer, the ball was delivered straight down the other end again and it was home goalkeeper Dan Platt who finally secured the home victory with a crucial save in the final seconds.

Halesowen Town: Dan Platt; Lewis Wright, McKauley Manning, Josh Hawker (c) (Joe Palmer 77), Dan Brookes, Rob Evans, Chris Lait (Harry White 71), Bradley Birch, Simeon Cobourne, Jordan Goddard, Kyle Finn. Subs Not Used: Dan Whitehouse, Brett Lloyd, Toby Scott.

Daventry Town: James Martin; Joe Coleman, Callum Martin (Jeff Woodward 89), Ross Harris (c), Jarvis Wilson, Dan Childs, George Ball, Joel Nketia, Jack Bowen, Tom Lorraine (Luke Emery 71), Nat Gosnal-Tyler. Sub Not Used: Carter Price, Jamie Andrews, Tom Rowley.

Referee: Niall Smith Attendance: 632
Booked: Harris (30), Hawker (67), Cobourne (69), Wright (83)
‘Tulleys Print’ HTFC Man of the Match selected by Darren & Harrison Marklew: Josh Hawker
NLP Man of the Match: Brad Birch

dalevillain
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by dalevillain » 05 Dec 2021, 11:01

Not the best of performances, made hard work of it at times. We created a lot of chances which we failed to take and as mentioned all looked very laboured and flat as in the end we were holding on against a team towards the bottom of the table, who without a last ditch Platty save could have got something out of the game.

I’m not sure what has happened with this time as two years ago we were be demolishing these poor teams, yet now we are struggling to beat them. Something just doesn’t seem quite right.

I guess a win is a win but think big improvements are needed if we are going to get promoted.

Rich
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by Rich » 05 Dec 2021, 11:15

piearce9 wrote:
04 Dec 2021, 22:00
Seamus wrote:
04 Dec 2021, 20:21
He was time wasting. Looked like he did the old classic where he was thrown a ball to take the throw in and forgot how his arms worked to catch it. Not normally a booking
He walked forward as the ball was thrown so it went over his head.
The ref said I saw exactly what you did.
Good response though from our bench about how much time their keeper wasted first half with taking his kicks but nothing said!!.

Seamus
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by Seamus » 05 Dec 2021, 12:05

Rich wrote:
05 Dec 2021, 11:15
[quote=piearce9 post_id=49082 time=<a href="tel:1638655201">1638655201</a> user_id=1329]
[quote=Seamus post_id=49078 time=<a href="tel:1638649276">1638649276</a> user_id=48]
He was time wasting. Looked like he did the old classic where he was thrown a ball to take the throw in and forgot how his arms worked to catch it. Not normally a booking
[/quote]

He walked forward as the ball was thrown so it went over his head.
The ref said I saw exactly what you did.
Good response though from our bench about how much time their keeper wasted first half with taking his kicks but nothing said!!.
[/quote].

Thanks all for the clarification, makes sense now.

old git
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by old git » 05 Dec 2021, 16:02

my post match reflection…
No Captain Fantastic …young Brookes did well but McCone adds a lot more
No Jack … arguably our most talented player
No centre forward … when will Gregory ever play an extended run of games?
So all in all I’m happy with the 3 points

drummyb
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by drummyb » 05 Dec 2021, 18:57

Josh sums up well. We have lost good players that we havent replaced. Ive said before and I think others have, we arent good enough at the moment. I think Molly and Sim would have made a good pairing, as we've seen before.

I agree about Gregory too. Always gives his all, but there isnt the goal return and always seems to be injured. Not sure we can afford that.

andy
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by andy » 05 Dec 2021, 22:44

old git wrote:
05 Dec 2021, 16:02
my post match reflection…
No Captain Fantastic …young Brookes did well but McCone adds a lot more
No Jack … arguably our most talented player
No centre forward … when will Gregory ever play an extended run of games?
So all in all I’m happy with the 3 points
I too am very happy with the 3 points. Ditto against Histon. But we are going to be playing MUCH tougher opposition and I am doubting we are good enough to consistently beat them all. But to gain promotion that is what we will have to do.
Proud owner of FOUR Georges O0 O0 O0 O0