Ilkeston Updates

Scores, live updates, discussion etc. on Yeltz matches
andy
Yeltz Forum Member

Re: Ilkeston Updates

Post by andy » 23 Oct 2021, 21:18

AwayDayYeltz wrote:
23 Oct 2021, 16:48

This isn't good. And it's been coming, hasn't it?
Some very astute comments from all, but this one is spot on. Thought it for weeks unfortunately.
Don't really want to say any more.
Proud owner of FOUR Georges O0 O0 O0 O0

DJ
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by DJ » 23 Oct 2021, 22:29

Northern Premier League Midlands – Saturday, 23rd October 2021

Halesowen Town 0 Ilkeston Town 1

Ilkeston ended Halesowen’s unbeaten league record despite being reduced to ten men for most of the second half in a hard-fought top of the table clash, writes David Johnson.

The Robins enjoyed the better of the first half as Halesowen struggled to hold possession or find their passes with consistency in a victory that provided revenge for Ilkeston’s FA Cup exit at the Grove last month.

Ilkeston started brightly and as early as the third minute Danny Coogan’s poor back pass on his Yeltz debut failed to reach goalkeeper Dan Platt, allowing Remaye Campbell to cut the ball back to Charlie Wakefield, but home captain Paul McCone retreated to clear off the line. Adam Chapman then shot at Platt a minute later and an 8th minute free-kick from Wakefield caused further danger.

The Robins took a deserved 8th minute lead when Chris Lait lost out in his own penalty area allowing Zak GOODSON to lash home the winning goal.

As Halesowen eventually featured, Richard Gregory set up Harry White to side-foot wide in the 11th minute. But Ilkeston continued to cause the greater danger and Alex Troke blasted a good 20th minute chance over the bar after Calum Flanagan was this time guilty of losing out.

Lait volleyed high after 26 minutes and after a couple of bookings for the visitors, Jordan Goddard played the ball into White in the area but goalkeeper Ross Durrant went down smartly to save after 37 minutes. Lait then worked down the left but his 41st minute ball along goal was cleared.

The Yeltz ended the half with their defence again under stress and Wakefield went close to doubling their lead when he struck the bar with a superb effort.

Halesowen made a somewhat better start to the second period and substitute Jack Holmes curled just wide after pressure on the edge of the Ilkeston penalty area. The hosts were then given hope when Ilkeston goalkeeper Durrant was sent off after bringing down Kyle Finn as he mis-controlled a long ball. But White could only strike the resulting free-kick straight at replacement goalkeeper Bradley Foster and Halesowen barely troubled Foster from that point on for the remainder of the game as the Robins defended their lead well and restricted the hosts.

On the break Ilkeston substitute James Carvell fired over the bar in the 87th minute. The Ilkeston goal remained little tested although White put the ball wide from substitute Robbie Bunn’s cross as the game entered injury time. In the seventh minute of added time substitute Simeon Cobourne was fouled on the edge of the penalty area but Goddard hit the resulting free-kick into the defensive wall.

Halesowen remain top of the table but the defeat provides a stark warning of the stiff opposition from the competitive top-five clubs.

Halesowen Town: Dan Platt; Danny Coogan (Robbie Bunn 79), Brett Lloyd, Josh Hawker, Paul McCone (c), Calum Flanagan, Kyle Finn, Jordan Goddard, Harry White, Richard Gregory (Jack Holmes 46), Chris Lait (Simeon Cobourne 68). Subs Not Used: Dan Brookes, Toby Scott.

Ilkeston Town: Ross Durrant; Tom Williams, Mitchell Tait, Charlie Wakefield, Joe Maguire, Kieran Fenton (c), Zak Goodson, Adam Chapman (Bradley Foster 59), Remaye Campbell (Patrick Webb 88), Alex Troke (James Carvell 79), Jared Bird. Subs Not Used: Ollie Brown-Hill, Rashaan Frances.

Referee: Harry Tarrant Attendance: 932
Booked: Chapman (30), Campbell (33), Goodson (72), Coogan (77)
Sent Off: Durrant (58)
‘Tulleys Print’ HTFC Man of the Match selected by Cillian Baker: Jack Holmes

Westyeltz
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by Westyeltz » 24 Oct 2021, 09:41

fairweatherfan wrote:
23 Oct 2021, 16:57
Curious celebrations though.
Curious? Why?
They've just beaten the team at the top of the table, who've not lost in the league so far playing with 10 men for the last half hour!
I think we'd have celebrated in equally curious fashion if that happened. :)

dalevillain
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by dalevillain » 24 Oct 2021, 09:55

A bad one to take yesterday, a very disappointing result and a performance which was unacceptable. You could just tell from the off Ilkeston were up for it with their fans as well. They wanted it more than us and thoroughly deserved their victory.

Too many players were below par. If I had to pick a man of the match I would say McCone as he came to the rescue on a few occasions which without him the scoreline could have been embarrassing for us. Although the introduction of Jack Holmes in the second half did spur us into life a bit.

But we didn’t really test their sub keeper enough and struggled to break down their 10 men which was worrying.

On the subject of the manager being away, it’s a difficult one. You can’t begrudge people holiday but for me, it wasn’t the best decision particularly in what was a must win game. IMO if Paul was there, we wouldn’t have lost that game yesterday. Although having said that, the players should have been good enough to still put in a performance without him, sadly they didn’t.

As mentioned this has been coming for weeks as performances have not been great although we’ve managed to still grind out results which has maybe masked the problem.

I still believe we can get promoted but things have to change, mostly our attitude, as we cannot afford many more slip ups. Although I have every confidence in the manager and players they can turn this around.
Last edited by dalevillain on 24 Oct 2021, 10:22, edited 1 time in total.

fairweatherfan
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by fairweatherfan » 24 Oct 2021, 10:14

Westyeltz wrote:
24 Oct 2021, 09:41
fairweatherfan wrote:
Curious? Why?
They've just beaten the team at the top of the table, who've not lost in the league so far playing with 10 men for the last half hour!
The manager dived into the crowd. I’d call that excessive. It’s not like they’d won the league!

Kevilsonlad
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by Kevilsonlad » 24 Oct 2021, 12:42

Hi guys ilson fan here . Firstly i have got say a massive thanks to all you guys for the very warm welcome us ilson fans got from you. The banter and singing was brilliant to hear from both sets of fans . On the match overall i thought we deserved the win but thoght we were very unlucky not to go in at half time three nil up, but thats football. You came outthe second half the much better team especially with the left winger who came on , he1s quality . Had to be a sending off of our keeper thats when i thought here we go we will end up losing the game . But our guys were brilliant in defending as a team .and still had a couple of chances . That last second free kick got me pacing up and down on the phone to friend who couldnt get to the game . Great celebrations by our fans thats how much it meant to us and thats a compliment to you and your club. Did the manager go over board at the end by jumping with us ........probably but again thats how much it meant to us ....
Your officials and fans were brilliant to the fans and our players at the end of the game saying really good things .
Thanks again for making it a really great day out . You will be made very welcome at the NMG in the return game .
All the best guys !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Kev ....

drummyb
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by drummyb » 24 Oct 2021, 13:10

dalevillain wrote:
24 Oct 2021, 09:55
A bad one to take yesterday, a very disappointing result and a performance which was unacceptable. You could just tell from the off Ilkeston were up for it with their fans as well. They wanted it more than us and thoroughly deserved their victory.

Too many players were below par. If I had to pick a man of the match I would say McCone as he came to the rescue on a few occasions which without him the scoreline could have been embarrassing for us. Although the introduction of Jack Holmes in the second half did spur us into life a bit.

But we didn’t really test their sub keeper enough and struggled to break down their 10 men which was worrying.

On the subject of the manager being away, it’s a difficult one. You can’t begrudge people holiday but for me, it wasn’t the best decision particularly in what was a must win game. IMO if Paul was there, we wouldn’t have lost that game yesterday. Although having said that, the players should have been good enough to still put in a performance without him, sadly they didn’t.

As mentioned this has been coming for weeks as performances have not been great although we’ve managed to still grind out results which has maybe masked the problem.

I still believe we can get promoted but things have to change, mostly our attitude, as we cannot afford many more slip ups. Although I have every confidence in the manager and players they can turn this around.
I have confidence in Paul. Im not sold on some of the team and havent been for a while. Individually we have some good players but they dont always gel. I dont beleive the players have a just turn up and win attitude, I just think we have lost some very good players that we havent quite replaced. Realistically its one league defeat, but I said about ten games ago we were in a blip. We have won more than we've lost but its the performances that are concerning. For several games, ignoring Yaxley, Ive struggled to see where a goal is coming, which given our fire power, I dont understand. In addition, and this may be controversial, I think we need someone challenging the goalkeepers spot. As good as Platty is, I also think we miss Bunn. Well, both Bunns

Westyeltz
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by Westyeltz » 24 Oct 2021, 15:07

Westyeltz wrote:
24 Oct 2021, 09:41
fairweatherfan wrote:
Curious? Why?
Ha! Ha! Either he was very a very excitable toddler or he'd been on the cooking sherry in the dug out. Or both ;)

YeltzDoc
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by YeltzDoc » 24 Oct 2021, 16:09

He’s always been like it. He was virtually in the centre circle protesting a throw-in during the first half.
Wonderful passion or classless dickhead. You decide…

AwayDayYeltz
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by AwayDayYeltz » 24 Oct 2021, 17:30

dalevillain wrote:
24 Oct 2021, 09:55

Spot on post.

Upon reflection it's the worst performance I can recall under Paul Smith. The most disappointing aspect is that our players didn't match the work rate and desire of Ilkeston. They simply wanted it more than us.
Josh - Keyboard warrior! #UpTheYeltz