Handsworth Updates

Scores, live updates, discussion etc. on Yeltz matches
andy
Yeltz Forum Member

Re: Handsworth Updates

Post by andy » 18 Sep 2021, 22:00

KenR wrote:
18 Sep 2021, 21:46
Andy , I think you'll see on Yeltz TV just how many goalbound shots and crosses he somehow managed to get in the way of.
Very true Ken, but he didn't have to put himself out to get in the way of virtually all of them. He pulled off a very good save from Holmes in the second half but probably not much else that a cutout wouldn't have got in the way of.
Proud owner of FOUR Georges O0 O0 O0 O0

andy
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by andy » 18 Sep 2021, 22:12

I think that just as we classed our performances against Halifax and Barnet as well deserved, we should acknowledge that Handsworth deserved their totally unexpected victory in the same light. We know that in 9 games out of 10, with a full team we would bury them, but on this occasion we didn't, thus my praise towards them.

andy
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by andy » 18 Sep 2021, 22:17

HalesowenHarry wrote:
18 Sep 2021, 17:23
9 wins, 1 draw, 1 loss. Panic if it becomes 9,1,5........
No panic for sure. It's just a little worrying possibly that the 1 draw, 1 loss were the last 2.

DJ
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by DJ » 18 Sep 2021, 22:44

Emirates FA Cup 2nd Qualifying Round – Saturday, 18th September 2021

Halesowen Town 1 Handsworth FC 3

Previously unbeaten Halesowen suffered a huge FA Cup shock in a 3-1 home defeat to lower level Handsworth FC of the Northern Counties East League Premier Division, writes DJ.

Halesowen dominated first-half possession but had little end-product on offer. Jack Holmes fired high over the bar after ten minutes before both Kyle Finn and Toby Scott saw shots blocked soon afterwards. As the Yeltz continued to struggle to make a breakthrough, McKauley Manning played a 17th minute short free-kick to Rob Evans but his shot was blocked for a corner. Manning then put Jamie Molyneux free in the area but he screwed his 23rd minute shot wide and Finn hit a low shot wide as Halesowen continued to make heavy weather of the contest.

Chances continued to go begging as Evans’ 34th minute cross found Holmes free in front of goal but he could only head weakly at goalkeeper Ben Townsend. Holmes then brought a good low save from Townsend a minute later.

The Ambers took a shock 39th minute lead through poor home defending when captain Paul McCone slipped in the area and Reece KANE was allowed to poke home past static goalkeeper Dan Platt.

Another 41st minute shot from Holmes was parried away by Townsend with Ahmed Ali about to pounce and just before the interval Scott and Manning were also denied.

Halesowen continued to enjoy plenty of possession after the interval, but little changed with Handsworth battling away in defence and the Yeltz lacking a final cutting edge. Manning and Scott had early second half shots and Townsend saved from Molyneux down the left. McCone’s header then struck the Handsworth post from a 54th minute corner whilst James Oliver made a great run forward for the visitors with his shot saved low down by Platt.

The Yeltz missed a host of further opportunities as they lacked composure in front of goal, epitomised when Molyneux cut in from the right and squared for Scott to hit high over the bar with the net beckoning after 58 minutes. Holmes then hit a loose ball wide in another good chance after Manning ran into the area after an hour.

Handsworth doubled their lead after 63 minutes with a superb opportunistic strike when Sam SMITH spotted Platt off his line and he launched an audacious but perfectly weighted 35 yard lob over the stranded goalkeeper.

Halesowen toiled away but still couldn’t find the net as Holmes hit straight at Townsend in the 68th minute and substitute Joe Palmer flicked a 75th minute cross at the grateful goalkeeper. Three more corners in the 77th minute also led to nothing.

The Yeltz finally found the net to reduce the arrears in the 80th minute when substitute Robbie BUNN cut in from the left to fire a 20 yard shot home through a crowded penalty area. With Halesowen hunting for an unlikely equaliser, Holmes showed great skill down the right touchline but both substitute Josh Mussell and Finn couldn’t convert his cross.

Handsworth wrapped up their fine win with a third goal in the 89th minute when Oliver crossed along goal from the right for SMITH to turn home his second goal from close range against the demoralised and frustrated Yeltz.

Halesowen Town: Dan Platt; Rob Evans, Brett Lloyd (Josh Mussell 62), Ahmed Ali, Paul McCone (c), Calum Flanagan, Jack Holmes, Toby Scott (Robbie Bunn 62), Jamie Molyneux (Joe Palmer 62), Kyle Finn, McKauley Manning. Subs Not Used: Dan Brookes, Dan Whitehouse.

Handsworth FC: Ben Townsend; Liam Bell, Richard Tootle, Jack Harrison (Ethan Hobson 85), Rikki Paylor (c), Tom Roebuck, Sam Fewkes, Reece Kane (Cecil Nyoni 78), Sam Smith, Mitchell Dunne (Leon Howarth 66), James Oliver. Subs Not Used: Jake Baldwin, Alfie Eagle, Nana Nyarko, Joseph Bacon (GK).

Referee: Mark Pearson Attendance: 858
Booked: Oliver (32), Evans (90), Nyoni (90)

AwayDayYeltz
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by AwayDayYeltz » 19 Sep 2021, 10:54

juanillo wrote:
18 Sep 2021, 17:05
fairweatherfan wrote:
18 Sep 2021, 16:58
Typical cup tie. Had chances, didn’t take them, no centre forwards and it was the game of their season. Fair play to them. A first round tie would have been lovely, but I’d rather get promoted.
I agree, but obviously would have preferred a cup run and promotion as well. Very disappointing given the level of opposition, even if they did raise their game. I just hope this dip in form is a blip.
Whilst the last two performances have left a lot of room for improvement, I don't think you can label this as a dip in form? 1 defeat in the opening 11 games is still a solid start to the season.

We must dust ourselves down, recover over the next 10 days, and put things right at Stamford.

I want to see us sign a forward asap. Molyneux, White, Palmer and a rarely-available Gregory isn't going to cut it, I'm afraid.

If it means us sacrificing Gregory (in terms of the wage), then I think it's a harsh decision that needs to be made. He's a quality player when fit, but unfortunately/frustratingly, that's rare.
Josh - Keyboard warrior! #UpTheYeltz

AwayDayYeltz
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by AwayDayYeltz » 19 Sep 2021, 10:58

Also, huge respect and credit to Handsworth, who were full value for the win. They thoroughly deserved it, and wanted it that bit more than us. I made a point of applauding them off the pitch.

All the best to them in the next round.

fairweatherfan
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by fairweatherfan » 19 Sep 2021, 11:23

AwayDayYeltz wrote:
19 Sep 2021, 10:54
juanillo wrote:
fairweatherfan wrote:
18 Sep 2021, 16:58
Typical cup tie. Had chances, didn’t take them, no centre forwards and it was the game of their season. Fair play to them. A first round tie would have been lovely, but I’d rather get promoted.
I agree, but obviously would have preferred a cup run and promotion as well. Very disappointing given the level of opposition, even if they did raise their game. I just hope this dip in form is a blip.
I want to see us sign a forward asap. Molyneux, White, Palmer and a rarely-available Gregory isn't going to cut it, I'm afraid.

If it means us sacrificing Gregory (in terms of the wage), then I think it's a harsh decision that needs to be made. He's a quality player when fit, but unfortunately/frustratingly, that's rare.
Not convinced there’s a large enough sample size to come to that conclusion if I’m honest. That said, he said he was going to be back for yesterday’s game so that’s a bit of a concern.

They clearly all think very highly of Palmer (Keith McKenna speaks of him in glowing terms), but with all usual caveats (young, hard coming off bench etc.) I’m not seeing it yet. Just looks too slight and, dare I say, not strong enough. Very much hope this comment comes back to make me look stupid!

AwayDayYeltz
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by AwayDayYeltz » 19 Sep 2021, 11:33

fairweatherfan wrote:
19 Sep 2021, 11:23
AwayDayYeltz wrote:
19 Sep 2021, 10:54
juanillo wrote:

Not convinced there’s a large enough sample size to come to that conclusion if I’m honest. That said, he said he was going to be back for yesterday’s game so that’s a bit of a concern.

They clearly all think very highly of Palmer (Keith McKenna speaks of him in glowing terms), but with all usual caveats (young, hard coming off bench etc.) I’m not seeing it yet. Just looks too slight and, dare I say, not strong enough. Very much hope this comment comes back to make me look stupid!
Palmer looks a decent talent to me. A very tidy player. But I wouldn't want to rely on him too much, as he's an unknown quantity.

My comments on Gregory are purely based on his injury record. He seems to miss large parts of the season, looking back to last seasons campaign. He's a quality player, who I suspect commands a decent wage, which dare I say, could be better utilised.

If he gets fit, and stays fit, then this isn't even a conversation, of course.

fairweatherfan
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by fairweatherfan » 19 Sep 2021, 11:49

My point is more that he got injured last season and then the season ended, and he’s got injured again this season in a completely different way. If he comes back against Stamford and then breaks again then it’s a completely different conversation of course, but I think (hope?) they’re isolated incidents rather than him being Darren Anderton* for the 2020s.

*actually played 500 league games in his career, but yeah, Sicknote.

Simons
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by Simons » 19 Sep 2021, 12:43

Gregory started mustn't be one league game last season, which was the first game. He scored a hat trick. This season he didn't start at Cambridge but came on for White. He started against Shepshed, scored and then got injured.