Sporting Khalsa Updates

Scores, live updates, discussion etc. on Yeltz matches
El Seano
Yeltz Forum Member

Re: Sporting Khalsa Updates

Post by El Seano » 31 Aug 2021, 17:30

I'm no expert (or fan) of artificial pitches by any means, but in Spain you'd be hard pushed to find many grass pitches outside the top two divisions. Artificial pitches are the norm, totally accepted and there aren't really any arguments against them due to injuries or quality.

Most clubs here use municipal stadiums owned by the council with the pitches used several hours a day, 7 days a week for training, acadamies, kid's football, as well as being rented out for private use.

So after the initial investment in the pitch (by the council) they then become a source of income for the club and council, and a community facility with reduced ongoing maintenance costs.

Obviously a different situation to UK (climate, ownership of grounds, league structure...) but seeing how they are used in Spain I can understand how more and more non league clubs in UK are opting for artificial pitches to reduce long term maintenance costs, reduce postponements, allow all of their teams to train and play matches on the same pitch and also generate more income from renting out the pitch.

Doesn't mean I am for them, but I can understand why their use has increased and probably will continue to increase in the future.

fairweatherfan
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by fairweatherfan » 31 Aug 2021, 17:31

old git wrote:
31 Aug 2021, 16:47
andy wrote:
31 Aug 2021, 15:56
I'm not really sure there is a definitive difference between any of the generations of plastic pitch. I may be wrong but I don't think it's regulated as such and the standards can vary a lot. For me, plastic is plastic ( usually infilled with rubber) and grass is grass. Grass is for playing sports on, plastic is for pop bottles and polluting the sea.
Don’t quote me, but I was told at Bedworth that the 3g cost about £250k, which is what the majority in our league are. 4g and above don’t have the black clouds of rubber, but the costs increase dramatically. approx. £500k for 4g, £800 for 5G , and the ones FIFA approve are 6g starting at millions !!!!
The Bedworth vice chairman is on Facebook saying theirs cost £140k and needs replacing every ten years (at seven years old, he reckons it has passed all the tests with flying colours, and makes the point that grass pitches don’t have to be inspected annually. I have resisted the temptation to point out that there’s a reason for this).

They make absolutely perfect sense from an economic perspective for community clubs, but they are dreadful for football. It should not be a legitimate tactic to hit the ball into the corner in the knowledge it will hold up because of ground up (and allegedly carcinogenic) tyres.

AwayDayYeltz
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by AwayDayYeltz » 31 Aug 2021, 17:47

fairweatherfan wrote:
31 Aug 2021, 17:31
old git wrote:
andy wrote:
I'm not really sure there is a definitive difference between any of the generations of plastic pitch. I may be wrong but I don't think it's regulated as such and the standards can vary a lot. For me, plastic is plastic ( usually infilled with rubber) and grass is grass. Grass is for playing sports on, plastic is for pop bottles and polluting the sea.
Don’t quote me, but I was told at Bedworth that the 3g cost about £250k, which is what the majority in our league are. 4g and above don’t have the black clouds of rubber, but the costs increase dramatically. approx. £500k for 4g, £800 for 5G , and the ones FIFA approve are 6g starting at millions !!!!
The Bedworth vice chairman is on Facebook saying theirs cost £140k and needs replacing every ten years (at seven years old, he reckons it has passed all the tests with flying colours, and makes the point that grass pitches don’t have to be inspected annually. I have resisted the temptation to point out that there’s a reason for this).

They make absolutely perfect sense from an economic perspective for community clubs, but they are dreadful for football. It should not be a legitimate tactic to hit the ball into the corner in the knowledge it will hold up because of ground up (and allegedly carcinogenic) tyres.
This may be a stupid question, but wouldn't a grass pitch be inspected when the ground is graded?
Josh - Keyboard warrior! #UpTheYeltz

fairweatherfan
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by fairweatherfan » 31 Aug 2021, 17:56

Maybe? I’d be lying if I said I had any idea in this direction, but he seemed to think not. He also said their floodlights passed with flying colours (I’ve no reason to doubt him) but they seemed pretty dull to me!

andy
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by andy » 31 Aug 2021, 18:11

old git wrote:
andy wrote:
I believe FIFA actually approve 4g.
I understand the financial aspect for clubs that fit them, but nobody can deny it ruins the game. All this 3,4,5,6,7g still just seems to be down to what the company wants to call it. I thought 4g was supposed to have no infill and then 5g does again (sometimes!), 6&7 don't, but claim to be better, but nobody seems to know why. I think you could just make up any number. IMO forget 1&2g, so there is 3g (crap), 4g and above (better but still plastic) and hybrid (unaffordable to most). Or well, heaven forbid, just grass.
Proud owner of FOUR Georges O0 O0 O0 O0

andy
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by andy » 31 Aug 2021, 18:19

Genuinely if somebody does know how these pitches are officially graded now and if there is a set standard I'd love to know. Ant?

AwayDayYeltz
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by AwayDayYeltz » 31 Aug 2021, 18:57

You know things are pretty good, when all us miserable lot have to moan about is the opponents 4g plastic pitch!
Josh - Keyboard warrior! #UpTheYeltz

andy
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by andy » 31 Aug 2021, 19:05

AwayDayYeltz wrote:
31 Aug 2021, 18:57
You know things are pretty good, when all us miserable lot have to moan about is the opponents 4g plastic pitch!
3g !!!

fairweatherfan
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by fairweatherfan » 31 Aug 2021, 19:12

AwayDayYeltz wrote:
31 Aug 2021, 18:57
And don’t forget the floodlights.

cdr80
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by cdr80 » 03 Sep 2021, 13:34

Don’t the lads train on this kind of surface most weeks anyway when they use Halesowen College, or was that just in the off season whilst Ant works his magic?