Shepshed Updates

Scores, live updates, discussion etc. on Yeltz matches
AwayDayYeltz
Yeltz Forum Member

Re: Shepshed Updates

Post by AwayDayYeltz » 18 Aug 2021, 11:10

Without sounding too negative, we must enjoy Jack Holmes while we can. He was outstanding last night, and this may be an exaggeration (I'm sure I'll be corrected here), but he's the most talented player I've had the pleasure of watching in my relatively short time in following the Yeltz. I'd love to hear the thoughts of the more tenured fans?

I have no doubt, with the right attitude and training, he will play league football. He's certainly far too good for this level, and dare I say the level above.
Josh - Keyboard warrior! #UpTheYeltz

Yeltz Forum Member

Post by 123456 » 18 Aug 2021, 12:07

If Jack just learns when to release the ball & when to keep . He will be outstanding for us , or anyone else . A very talented player . Of that there is no doubt .

YeltzDoc
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by YeltzDoc » 18 Aug 2021, 13:41

Troy stood out as a skinny, quick forward / winger who looked (and was proven to be) a class above.
Nostalgia and 20/20 hindsight suggest that Flynny and Deano were also in that envelope, but possibly that's just rheumy-eyed reminiscing, I can't really remember either of them catching the eye with such stunning regularity as we're seeing with Jack.
Lee, Paul and Malcolm were pretty young when we hark back to the early eighties and all three had the, often displayed, ability to rip sides apart.
Danny McDonnell?
Jimmy Rodwell?

andy
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by andy » 18 Aug 2021, 17:47

AwayDayYeltz wrote:
18 Aug 2021, 11:10
Without sounding too negative, we must enjoy Jack Holmes while we can. He was outstanding last night, and this may be an exaggeration (I'm sure I'll be corrected here), but he's the most talented player I've had the pleasure of watching in my relatively short time in following the Yeltz. I'd love to hear the thoughts of the more tenured fans?

Oh, so now you want old men harking back to the war.😆
Have to agree with Doc though on the players he mentioned. As a youngster though I cannot remember seeing a player here so confident with the ball at his feet. He will need to display this ability for many a year to match Paul and Lee who were equally blessed. Malcolm Hazelwood was a different kind of midfielder, often thinking one step ahead of everybody else with perfectly weighted passes and a good striker of the ball also. As a wide player Lee would be the best comparison along with Flynny and at the moment I would put him up there with both of them.
Proud owner of FOUR Georges O0 O0 O0 O0

HalesowenHarry
Global Moderator

Post by HalesowenHarry » 18 Aug 2021, 18:12

Paul Birch still the best I've seen but he was at the latter part of his career whereas Jack should go just as far if he keeps working so hard

andy
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by andy » 18 Aug 2021, 18:52

HalesowenHarry wrote:
18 Aug 2021, 18:12
Paul Birch still the best I've seen but he was at the latter part of his career whereas Jack should go just as far if he keeps working so hard
He probably was the best we've ever had play for us. Shame he had an entire professional career behind him before he came here though! As you say Jack could become a very similar player should he continue his development, it just seems strange Burton couldn't see it. There is a long road ahead for the lad yet anyway before he will be talked about in the same way as the players we've already highlighted.

andy
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by andy » 18 Aug 2021, 19:03

I also think this is the perfect place for him to be at this point in his career. Much higher up the pyramid he may get found out a bit and have his confidence knocked. Here he will get regular game time and be able develop all his ability. Also a great manager for him to have who will keep him grounded and do the best for him. He may love it so much here that he stays for as long as the Joinsons.😁

drummyb
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by drummyb » 19 Aug 2021, 01:57

Ah if only. Unfortunately its all about ££££££ but lets enjoy him while it lasts 😊

YeltzDoc
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by YeltzDoc » 19 Aug 2021, 09:15

Our highlights - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mXltKaCFxr4

Their version - https://www.pitchero.com/clubs/shepshed ... 69718.html

And Paul Smith’s post match thoughts - https://youtu.be/qx5qH0wzubk

Why did the bloke keep offering him that Fab ice lolly?

piearce9
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by piearce9 » 19 Aug 2021, 10:45

I'm all depressed because I carved out a wonderfully long and articulate post around Jack Holmes reflecting on many of the earlier comments, went to post it and lost it. Anyway, I can't bothered typing it again, so here's the gist of it:

- Great that Holmes is being considered along side some of the all time legends - praise indeed.
- Fair play to the gaffer for spotting him against Burton (I certainly didn't) and for the club for whacking him on a contract twice. Superb business.
- He's so unbelievably good and consistent that the phone will be off the hook by October/November time.

Back to work. (Yes, I have a job, unbelievably.)