Noggin
Global Moderator

Re: Shepshed Updates

Post by Noggin » 17 Aug 2021, 22:26

fairweatherfan
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by fairweatherfan » 17 Aug 2021, 22:33

I do wish Russ Penn would stop turning up to games. It’s making me nervous.

Very good going forward (not surprised- we’re absolutely stacked in forward areas), but as I said before, shaky at the back (hopefully the return of Evo to the starting XI will sort things out). Incidentally, thought Lloyd looked absolutely fantastic getting forward. Has a long way to go to win my heart from Bowen’s complete shithousery, but promising signs.

piearce9
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by piearce9 » 17 Aug 2021, 22:36

42 posts already? Has Yeltz27 come back? :D

Such a comfortable performance and hopefully the first of many such results at The Grove this season. Five different scorers too. So far so good.

Agree with an earlier post that we do look a little bit nervy/disjointed at the back although Evo’s return should help on that front.

We’re all going to have to have a sit down at some point and discuss where Jack Holmes rates against some of the very best Yeltz players. This is a phenomenal squad and he is just on a whole new level.

juanillo
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by juanillo » 17 Aug 2021, 22:49

I thought we dominated them for nearly the whole match.

It's difficult to assess the level of opposition until we've played a few more teams, but they didn't offer very much at all in the 2nd half, but that's mainly because we were so much in control and there were some very good passages of play.

I was especially impressed with Holmes, Lait and Finn. We know about Lait from before, but you could tell Finn had played at a higher level.

andy
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by andy » 17 Aug 2021, 22:52

piearce9 wrote:
17 Aug 2021, 22:36

We’re all going to have to have a sit down at some point and discuss where Jack Holmes rates against some of the very best Yeltz players. This is a phenomenal squad and he is just on a whole new level.
Jack is on another level. I hope clubs above us don't cotton on too quickly. :-\
Anyway we've definitely thrown down a marker tonight and will be the side everyone will gun for. But I believe there is a lot more to come from this squad yet and with Paul's level-headedness, all will be respected but nobody will be feared. Bring it on!
Proud owner of FOUR Georges O0 O0 O0 O0

andy
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by andy » 17 Aug 2021, 22:59

Well impressed with the 2 full backs as well. The way they push forward and interact with Holmes as he roams from one side of the pitch to the other was giving their defence no end of problems. We will play a lot worse sides than Shepshed and could tear some apart.
Proud owner of FOUR Georges O0 O0 O0 O0

AwayDayYeltz
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by AwayDayYeltz » 18 Aug 2021, 00:20

piearce9 wrote:
17 Aug 2021, 22:36
42 posts already? Has Yeltz27 come back? :D

Such a comfortable performance and hopefully the first of many such results at The Grove this season. Five different scorers too. So far so good.

Agree with an earlier post that we do look a little bit nervy/disjointed at the back although Evo’s return should help on that front.

Evo and Macca have to be the centre back pairing, for me. I'm not convinced with the alternative Flanagan.
Josh - Keyboard warrior! #UpTheYeltz

DJ
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by DJ » 18 Aug 2021, 00:34

Northern Premier League Midlands – Tuesday, 17th August 2021

Halesowen Town 5 Shepshed Dynamo 1

There were high fives at the Grove after five different goalscorers sent Halesowen to the top of the early season league table despite an early setback, writes DJ.

Halesowen manager Paul Smith took plenty of positives from his team’s performance. “I’m pleased as we did well to react to a bad early mistake. In the second half we played some lovely football and scored some great goals”.

The Yeltz suffered that early shock when Shepshed snatched a 2nd minute lead after Matt Melbourne was left clean through on goal. Home goalkeeper Dan Platt made a fine one-on-one save to force Melbourne wide, but MELBOURNE was still able to squeeze the ball into the net from a wide angle against a regrouped home defence.

Richard Gregory went close to equalising when he was put through on goal by Jac Redhead in the 5th minute, only for goalkeeper Matty White to make a fine blocking save with his legs. Lively Jack Holmes then crossed along goal from the right after ten minutes but this time Gregory put the ball over the bar from just two yards out. White made another good save from Holmes after 15 minutes but it was opposite goalkeeper Platt who saved an awkward 20 yard shot from Melbourne low down a minute later.

GREGORY levelled in the 17th minute by stroking home a low shot into the corner of the net at the end of a neat move. Both Chris Lait and Redhead then went close before a 22 yard strike from Kyle Finn rattled Shepshed’s crossbar after half an hour and White parried away a long range shot from Holmes after 34 minutes.

The Yeltz turned the screw after the interval with four further goals. LAIT put Halesowen ahead in the 49th minute by drilling home a superb low shot from 25 yards. It was 3-1 just three minutes later after Lait burst forward to supply Holmes and his cross was played back by substitute Harry White for FINN to shoot through a crowded penalty area with the last defender unable to stop the ball on the line.

In further pressure White flashed a 54th minute header wide from Hawker’s corner and Brett Lloyd’s run forced the first of two corners on the hour. Finn then supplied WHITE to slam home Halesowen’s fourth goal into the bottom corner in the 78th minute.

Platt made a good save from John King in the 88th minute but home substitute Jamie MOLYNEUX completed the scoring at 5-1 in the 90th minute by lashing home from the right after White laid the ball off.

Halesowen Town: Dan Platt; Lewis Wright, Brett Lloyd, Josh Hawker (Ahmed Ali 73), Paul McCone (c), Calum Flanagan, Jack Holmes (Jamie Molyneux 63), Jac Redhead, Chris Lait, Richard Gregory (Harry White 46), Kyle Finn. Subs Not Used: Rob Evans, Toby Scott.

Shepshed Dynamo: Matty White; Joel Wolfe, Reif Armstrong, Jordan Smith (c), Jordan Wakeling, Niall Prenderville, John King, Liam Canavan (Dan Tuck 65), Matt Melbourne, Karl Demidh (Tamar Clayton 73), Reece Morris (Josh Mundell 82). Subs Not Used: Kyle Whymark, Jahdahn Harper.

Referee: Joshua Hackett Attendance: 513
Booked: Canavan (30), Armstrong (45)

dalevillain
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by dalevillain » 18 Aug 2021, 08:08

Well not much more to add than what has been said before but to say a fantastic win, a sublime second half performance by the lads and just great to be back at a league game for what feels like an eternity.

Shepshed weren’t a bad side overall, started well and gave us some problems the first half but seemed to run out of steam in the second where our class and levels of fitness took over and we ran riot. Against far worse teams we could run up a cricket score especially with a front 3 of Finn, Holmes and Lait.

As mentioned we look a bit shaky at the back and feel like we’ve got a mistake in us evidenced by conceding a goal in both games so far, however no need to be too picky as it’s early days and sure we will grow and get better as the season progresses but the marker has been set for what promises to be a great season - just hope it gets completed this time!