Coventry United

Scores, live updates, discussion etc. on Yeltz matches
dalevillain
Yeltz Forum Member

Re: Coventry United

Post by dalevillain » 15 Dec 2020, 22:27

Enjoyed the game, very entertaining competitive friendly. Credit to Coventry who were a decent well organised outfit who gave us a good game and deserved to go into half time ahead as we were very sloppy at the back and punished by conceding some poor goals.

Was very disappointed after being 2-0 up. If it was a league or cup game would have been livid but let’s be honest the warning signs have been there in the early part of the season which we must address.

Second half bought a host of changes, we looked a lot better. Once again the notable difference being Jack Holmes with two goals and then almost getting the hattrick with an unbelievable piece of skill chipping the keeper which just landed on top of the net. Certainly is a class act.

We looked decent going forward but a slight criticism at times did too much on the ball trying to walk the ball in the net rather than shooting on sight.

Anyway, nice to be back down the Grove tonight albeit for surely the last time this year.

DJ
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by DJ » 15 Dec 2020, 23:19

Mid-season Friendly – Tuesday, 15th December 2020

Halesowen Town 4 Coventry United 3

Two goals in each half gave Halesowen victory in a nil-income, training-regime friendly against Midland Football League Coventry United.

Jamie MOLYNEUX headed the Yeltz ahead from Rob Evans’ 12th minute right-wing cross and then struck the bar seven minutes later. A rebound shot from Joe Palmer was cleared off the line before Ash SAMMONS powered home from the edge of the area to double Halesowen’s lead after 20 minutes.

But Coventry stunned the Yeltz to snatch the lead with three goals within a six minute spell. Aaron WILLIAMS headed home directly from a right wing corner after half-an-hour and Josh O’GRADY converted a 34th minute penalty to level the scores. Tyler HADDOW then raced clear of Halesowen’s defence, rounded Bradley Catlow and took his time to slot home calmly to put the visitors 3-2 ahead in the 36th minute on a slippery surface.

After the interval, Jack HOLMES dispossessed Coventry’s defence and smacked home Halesowen’s 58th minute equaliser from the edge of the area. Goalkeeper Brendon Bunn came to the rescue with the home defence exposed in the 62nd minute but HOLMES claimed the winner by slotting home a 66th minute penalty after Simeon Cobourne was tripped on the left of the penalty area. In the latter stages Holmes lofted an effort onto the roof of the net, a wide-angled shot from Cobourne was blocked and Dan Westwood fired over the bar from Cobourne’s cross.

Halesowen Town: First Half: Bradley Catlow; Rob Evans, James Bowen, Ash Sammons, Paul McCone, George Forsyth, Josh Hawker, Robbie Bunn, Joe Palmer, Richard Gregory, Jamie Molyneux.
Halesowen Town: Second Half: Brendon Bunn; George Forsyth, McKauley Manning, Ahmed Ali, Paul McCone, Reece Hewitt, Jack Holmes, Billy Shaw, Richard Gregory (Simeon Cobourne 55), Dan Westwood, Josh Hawker.

old git
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by old git » 16 Dec 2020, 16:27

Yes it was only a friendly but slightly concerning how quickly we conceded 3 after conceding the first, and then add Dunstable and Corby. ??? Looking back that was 9 goals conceded in 23 minutes :o :o :o

AwayDayYeltz
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by AwayDayYeltz » 17 Dec 2020, 08:20

old git wrote:
16 Dec 2020, 16:27
Yes it was only a friendly but slightly concerning how quickly we conceded 3 after conceding the first, and then add Dunstable and Corby. ??? Looking back that was 9 goals conceded in 23 minutes :o :o :o
Playing natural centre halves at the centre half position would no doubt help in this regard.

I can see the idea behind playing Forsyth and (or) Ali at the back, it gives us a platform to build attacks, however, Forsyth is positionally all over the place at the back line. He's a very technically talented player, but he's not a defender. Ali at least looks like he can get away with playing at the back.

I'd like to see us go with a back 4 of;

Wright Evans McCone Bowen.

Call me old school, but I like to see my back line defend, first and foremost. Let the midfield play with the ball. If we want to play out from the back, the onus should be on the likes of Sammonds, Bunn and Hawker to call for the ball from the centre backs, and then they're the ones responsible for dictating play, and building an attack.

It's also worth nothing Ashmore was down the Grove I. Tuesday night. Could we see his return announced? We could certainly do with him!
Josh - Keyboard warrior! #UpTheYeltz

andy
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by andy » 17 Dec 2020, 17:44

I'm torn. I definitely agree with that back four but have also enjoyed watching us play with wing backs causing problems for the opposition. I do think though when we need to kill a game off we need a solid defence and that back four you named would be the best option. I have loved our attacking play since Paul's arrival but now I guess we really need to concentrate on conceding fewer. If that means settling for more 1-0 wins, so be it.
Proud owner of FOUR Georges O0 O0 O0 O0

AwayDayYeltz
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by AwayDayYeltz » 18 Dec 2020, 09:31

andy wrote:
17 Dec 2020, 17:44
I'm torn. I definitely agree with that back four but have also enjoyed watching us play with wing backs causing problems for the opposition. I do think though when we need to kill a game off we need a solid defence and that back four you named would be the best option. I have loved our attacking play since Paul's arrival but now I guess we really need to concentrate on conceding fewer. If that means settling for more 1-0 wins, so be it.
Is it formation based problems, though? A lot of our goals seem to be stemming from poor individual errors, and a lack of 'steel' when our backs our against the wall.

In terms of sacrificing the undoubted brilliant football we play, I'm sure a front 3 of Holmes, Sim and Molly, would be decent enough to watch. 4-3-3 would definitely be my preference at the moment.
Josh - Keyboard warrior! #UpTheYeltz

Simons
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by Simons » 18 Dec 2020, 17:15

I can't really see Gregory not starting if fit, and I do think Holmes is possibly better coming off the bench.