Dunstable away

Scores, live updates, discussion etc. on Yeltz matches
AwayDayYeltz
Yeltz Forum Member

Re: Dunstable away

Post by AwayDayYeltz » 01 Nov 2020, 09:05

Paul Smith must be scratching his head this morning, wondering how the hell his team played so well and came away with nothing. As I mentioned yesterday we were 3-0 down, after Dunstable only had two attempts at goal. It was remarkable.

The first 20 or so minutes we were utterly dominant. However our failure to take chances, once again came back to bite us, as it has done numerous times this season. By the time Dunstable meaningfully ventured into Halesowen territory, which forced Brendon Bunn into a rash challenge, to gift away a penalty, we could and should have been 2-0 up.

The second Dunstable goal was a freak. A Forsyth header catching the wind and looping over Bunn into the net. A third quickly followed, and a mad 10 minute or so spell had us well and truly on the floor, and in all honesty won Dunstable the game.

I’ve never felt like this post game, because we played so well. The effort was there, and the players kept trying until the final whistle. I genuinely can’t fault the players, or Smith for yesterday’s performance. It’s a strange feeling.

In isolation, you would write off this match, and result, as a one off. One of those games that football throws up once in a royal blue moon. But when you look at the bigger picture, the signs have been there all season long, and yesterday highlights a long standing problem – that is, failure to take chances, coupled with sloppy defending, is costing us time and time again.

Take Corby, for example. 3-0 up, and just before the break Molyneux (who has been excellent this season) misses a great chance to put us further ahead. Then, after the break Cobourne misses another great chance, and hits the woodwork. We should have been out of sight before Corby grabbed, what should have been, a consolation goal. However, we weren’t, and Corby were gifted a lifeline. Then our sloppy defending, and individual errors cost us all three points, as we surrendered a 3 goal lead in an incredible 45 minutes, where we capitulated.

Again, in isolation, you’d say losing, when 3-0 to the good, is a freak. It’s one of those days. But one of those days, are occurring all too frequently this season.

Another example of our failure to take chances, and sloppy defending can be found when you look at our home win against Yaxley. We were dominant in the first half, and played so well. However, we switched off defensively, and allowed Yaxley back into the game, at 2-1. Thankfully, on that occasion, we managed to step up a gear, and our quality (which isn’t in question, even today) showed, and we were sublime in the second half, to take all three points. But the sign was there. Failure to put the game to bed, by not making numerous chances count, and sloppy defending, could have cost us.

I am by no means calling this a crisis, or anything as ridiculous as that, but it’s clear that something just isn’t clicking with us right now. I can’t quite put my finger on it. However, I get the feeling the squad isn’t as tight or together as it was last season, which could explain the poor results on the pitch.

The squad depth isn’t as good as it was last season, either. Yes, we’ve been decimated by an injury list longer than Dan Sweeney’s CV, and when Hewitt, Cobourne and Gregory return to fitness, we’ll look much stronger on paper. However, I believe that even with a fully fit squad, we’re down on quality from last season. I do understand that factors such as budget (I’ve no idea what our budget is compared to last season, but I’d be surprised if it’s the same or even more, due to COVID) and players moving onto a higher level of football, mean it’s difficult to maintain a quality squad. Simply put the players that have left us (Montel, Piggott, Sammonds, Ashmore and now Parsons) have either not been replaced, or have been replaced by players that aren't as talented. That’s a lot of quality for any club to lose.

Although the squad isn’t as good as last seasons squad, I believe that the group of players we have are more than capable of winning this league. They’re certainly capable of better than 4 defeats in 5 games.

I believe we must return to basics. I want to see a team selection where players are played in their natural position. I know it’s a little negative, but on Tuesday, the initial aim should be to keep a clean sheet. We must return to being solid and organised in defence. We need to stop conceding silly and avoidable goals.

I’d like to see us revert to a 4-3-3 or 4-5-1, whatever you want to call it. A back four of Evans (RB) McCone (CB), New Bloke (CB) and Bowen (LB). Or you could even play Wright at right back, and have a McCone and Evans centre back pairing (who were excellent, when paired together last season). Either way, we must start playing defenders in defence. It’s clear the experiment of playing Forsyth (or Ali, or at times both) as a centre back isn’t working. Sadly.

At least the above selection would give us a much more balanced, solid, and natural back line, that would give us a chance to stop leaking goals, and keep clean sheets.

We aren’t a bad team, we have a fantastic manager, and a solid group of players, the majority of which are a pleasure to support and watch. The team needs tweaking. 2-3 of players need to be moved on, and replaced with better quality, if possible. But there’s nothing terminal here. Far from it. It’s still very early on in the season, and I still believe we’ll win this league. We must, however, get back to basics, and start becoming a tougher, and more street wise team.
Josh - Keyboard warrior! #UpTheYeltz

AwayDayYeltz
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by AwayDayYeltz » 01 Nov 2020, 10:44

https://youtu.be/hd8yqeJk-Oc

Looks like Smith has had enough of underperforming players, and we could see some new additions in the coming weeks. I think that's a pretty honest, and scathing interview. I like the brutality shown by Paul, here.

I can't disagree with anything he's said.

old git
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by old git » 01 Nov 2020, 11:00

AwayDayYeltz wrote:
01 Nov 2020, 10:44

Looks like Smith has had enough of underperforming players, and we could see some new additions in the coming weeks. I think that's a pretty honest, and scathing interview. I like the brutality shown by Paul, here.

Summed up everything we said yesterday ... ‘chopping block’ is out 😳

fairweatherfan
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by fairweatherfan » 01 Nov 2020, 11:37

AwayDayYeltz wrote:

While I don't fully disagree, once you start asking 'who?', things get a bit trickier.

McCone? Surely not. Evans? Likewise, but from a couple of things I've seen on social media and the comments he was muttering when he walked past at halftime, he's not happy. Robbie Bunn? The gaffer takes him everywhere he goes.

I can't help wonder to what extent this goes back to the players who were on the naughty step and the subsequent fall out from that.

410viawednesbury
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by 410viawednesbury » 01 Nov 2020, 11:41

old git wrote:
01 Nov 2020, 11:00
AwayDayYeltz wrote:

This is a side to the manager that, so far, I think no one had seen, as everything in the garden was rosy.
What we are seeing now is a natural progression in Smith's management career with this squad he's had, after all it was his squad he had built from last season. By his own admission he had been loyal to some players and they are now for whatever reason not paying him back. This is now a pivotal moment in, both, Halesowen's season and Smith's tenure, he has a large task on his hands to get the balance right and to return the good ship Halesowen back on course.
I sincerely hope he does for the very reason that his vision, and that of the clubs owners, want to see the very best for the club in the future.
A manager can only do so much, once the players have crossed that whitewash it's then down to them to execute the manager's wishes, let's just hope that the bad apples, in the barrel, get executed.

410viawednesbury
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by 410viawednesbury » 01 Nov 2020, 11:43

Sorry, I don't think I've edited that right, at very top. Apologies to Old git.

old git
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by old git » 01 Nov 2020, 11:52

410viawednesbury wrote:
01 Nov 2020, 11:43
Sorry, I don't think I've edited that right, at very top. Apologies to Old git.
Nobody ever apologises to me ... I have three women in the house 😂😂😂

AwayDayYeltz
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by AwayDayYeltz » 01 Nov 2020, 12:03

fairweatherfan wrote:
01 Nov 2020, 11:37
AwayDayYeltz wrote:

While I don't fully disagree, once you start asking 'who?', things get a bit trickier.

McCone? Surely not. Evans? Likewise, but from a couple of things I've seen on social media and the comments he was muttering when he walked past at halftime, he's not happy. Robbie Bunn? The gaffer takes him everywhere he goes.

I can't help wonder to what extent this goes back to the players who were on the naughty step and the subsequent fall out from that.
I think the easier question is to ask 'who has performed consistently well so far this season'.

McCone
Evans
McAuley
Yates
Ali
Hawker
Holmes
Molyneux
Cobourne
Gregory.

I don't think you could add anyone else into the list. So those not named, are probably in danger of landing on Slater's chopping board.

Maybe I've been generous with a couple of those listed. I'd also have added Bowen, but he's on the naughty step.

Would anyone add other players to my safe list? Maybe it's disrespectful to discuss this. It's a little harsh, but it's obviously a talking point, as it's clear the gaffa is now looking at replacing a number of players.

Seamus
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by Seamus » 01 Nov 2020, 12:07

410viawednesbury wrote:
01 Nov 2020, 11:41
old git wrote:
01 Nov 2020, 11:00
AwayDayYeltz wrote:

This is a side to the manager that, so far, I think no one had seen, as everything in the garden was rosy.
What we are seeing now is a natural progression in Smith's management career with this squad he's had, after all it was his squad he had built from last season. By his own admission he had been loyal to some players and they are now for whatever reason not paying him back. This is now a pivotal moment in, both, Halesowen's season and Smith's tenure, he has a large task on his hands to get the balance right and to return the good ship Halesowen back on course.
I sincerely hope he does for the very reason that his vision, and that of the clubs owners, want to see the very best for the club in the future.
A manager can only do so much, once the players have crossed that whitewash it's then down to them to execute the manager's wishes, let's just hope that the bad apples, in the barrel, get executed.
Whilst not disagreeing with anything you say here, are his hands not tied so to speak in terms of the players who are on contract which I assume would run for the full season?

Having seen the game yesterday and planning to be there on Tuesday evening for what is probably my last live football for a while, will be very interested to see a reaction from the players against what I anticipate to be a much better footballing side than AFC Dunstable.

Seamus
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by Seamus » 01 Nov 2020, 12:08

Apologies 410viawednesbury, I think I have followed your editing standards.