Scores, live updates, discussion etc. on Yeltz matches
Westyeltz
Yeltz Forum Member

Re: Daventry Updates

Post by Westyeltz » 25 Oct 2020, 07:42

Noggin wrote:
24 Oct 2020, 18:48
Some photos. Alas, Hagrid not present this week. https://adobe.ly/2TmS8uC
Once again, great photos Kev. Bl##dy hell, it was wet! I can't believe some of our supporters didn't have a sensible coat? ::)

AwayDayYeltz
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by AwayDayYeltz » 25 Oct 2020, 09:58

Yesterday was much more impressive than the two big home wins we've had this season.

That was a proper battle, in some tough conditions. We dug in, and ground out a win. It was actually good to watch that side of us.

Daventry never really looked like threatening us, and we were good value for the win. It was good to see both Bunn's, Hawker and Evans back in the starting lineup. I liked the selection, round pegs in round holes makes a huge difference. Ali has to be playing in midfield, for me. He got my man of the match vote, he was outstanding.

Yates had another great game at right full back, defensively, I'm not sure he's the long term answer in that role, but offensively he's brilliant. He certainly caused the Daventry defence a lot of issues with his pace and trickery.

I thought Robbie Bunn had his best game of the season, too.

Two great goals. A really good finish from Molyneux. And a thumping header from McCone, who should get a lot more goals from set pieces, such is his areal presence.

All in all, a really impressive performance, given the conditions, and a much needed win.
Josh - Keyboard warrior! #UpTheYeltz

dalevillain
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by dalevillain » 25 Oct 2020, 10:40

AwayDayYeltz wrote:
25 Oct 2020, 09:58
Yesterday was much more impressive than the two big home wins we've had this season.

That was a proper battle, in some tough conditions. We dug in, and ground out a win. It was actually good to watch that side of us.

Daventry never really looked like threatening us, and we were good value for the win. It was good to see both Bunn's, Hawker and Evans back in the starting lineup. I liked the selection, round pegs in round holes makes a huge difference. Ali has to be playing in midfield, for me. He got my man of the match vote, he was outstanding.

Yates had another great game at right full back, defensively, I'm not sure he's the long term answer in that role, but offensively he's brilliant. He certainly caused the Daventry defence a lot of issues with his pace and trickery.

I thought Robbie Bunn had his best game of the season, too.

Two great goals. A really good finish from Molyneux. And a thumping header from McCone, who should get a lot more goals from set pieces, such is his areal presence.

All in all, a really impressive performance, given the conditions, and a much needed win.
Pretty much covered what I was going to say so not much more to elaborate on.

I think someone put on here a few weeks ago it’s all very well beating teams 5 or 6 nil in the sunshine but what wins you leagues is games like yesterday where the conditions are appalling and the opposition make it difficult for you. The best teams always find a way no matter what.

Nice to see us dig in and as mentioned good to see Evans and Hawker back, players that give the team that bite as feel without them we are a bit soft at times.

dalevillain
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by dalevillain » 25 Oct 2020, 11:09

fairweatherfan wrote:
24 Oct 2020, 17:48
It was.

I’m sure I saw on Twitter that there was some sort of food bank collection going on at the game, and so at £2.35 for the two, thought I’d do my bit to hurry along the beatification of Marcus Rashford MBE.

But then there wasn’t, so I was just left with two cans of tuna sat looking rather incongruous in the rain. We didn’t even lose, so I was also robbed of the chance to use them as missiles to express my displeasure.
Who said there was no food bank? There was a ton of bag fulls of stuff in the JG Lounge 🤔

AwayDayYeltz
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by AwayDayYeltz » 25 Oct 2020, 11:27

There was certainly a lot of food gathered in the JG.

Thanks to the club for arranging this. Great cause, and great response from our fans.

Here is the link for the Just Giving page, for anyone who didn't get chance to donate food.

https://donate.justgiving.com/donation- ... FmNWQ1YTg=

I believe the food collected is split between two food banks. The Black Country being one, I'm not sure who the other one is.

Apologies for sharing one, and not the other.

AwayDayYeltz
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by AwayDayYeltz » 25 Oct 2020, 13:23

Also, Wantage won their third game of the season yesterday. They're only three points from the top, all be it they've played two more games than very early leaders Aylesbury.

Remarkable turnaround from where they were last season. Especially given the COVID situation all clubs are facing.

Does anyone know what has gone on there? I'm assuming (ignorantly) that they have investment?

piearce9
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by piearce9 » 25 Oct 2020, 15:03

Not necessarily saying this is the case with Wantage but there are plenty of clubs out there who see Step 5 being more sustainable than playing at Step 4, or even Step 3.

St Neots even came out and said they intended to drop down again after they were relegated down with us (and there was suspicion that the previous Redditch owner was on a similar navigation).

Wantage were doomed from an early stage last season so maybe they just accepted they were going to be relegated and tried to save some cash on the playing side. That could have come in handy this time around? Or maybe the league is generally weaker?

Simons
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by Simons » 25 Oct 2020, 15:08

I believe they have signed about 14 new players with a new management team.

fairweatherfan
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by fairweatherfan » 25 Oct 2020, 15:35

Oh well. Sucks to be me. Suppose logic would have dictated it would be inside given the weather, but I’ve never been a practical man.

andy
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by andy » 25 Oct 2020, 17:18

fairweatherfan wrote:
25 Oct 2020, 15:35
Oh well. Sucks to be me. Suppose logic would have dictated it would be inside given the weather, but I’ve never been a practical man.
Tuna for tea?😁
Proud owner of FOUR Georges O0 O0 O0 O0