Glasgow. Sorry I mean Corby

Scores, live updates, discussion etc. on Yeltz matches
Rich
Yeltz Forum Member

Re: Glasgow. Sorry I mean Corby

Post by Rich » 11 Oct 2020, 09:48

Would like to have asked Paul if he feels seemingly having his squad in place then very late on losing Sammons and Ashmore has made the squad lighter than he would like and is he still looking to strengthen in certain positions or does he now feel the squad is the right size??

old git
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by old git » 11 Oct 2020, 11:18

Rich wrote:
11 Oct 2020, 09:48
Would like to have asked Paul if he feels seemingly having his squad in place then very late on losing Sammons and Ashmore has made the squad lighter than he would like and is he still looking to strengthen in certain positions or does he now feel the squad is the right size??
Interesting point. Three weeks ago I would have said oversized, with quality players as well, who all need to be kept happy ..... and then wham bam ... one suspension and four (now possibly 5) key player injuries and we look light. However, the budget can’t be open ended, and Paul has to keep everybody’s interest. Some promising lads in the under 21 squad who may get a chance soon? ...Who’d be a manger 😳

Noggin
Global Moderator

Post by Noggin » 11 Oct 2020, 11:29

Excellent points OG. There is only a finite budget and with a significant number of players on contracts and with an uncertain climate as to the duration of the season, it is asking a lot to increase the size or cost of the playing staff. Sadly we will have to ride out this situation, but I am sure that there is enough to quality in both playing staff and the management to do so.
Yesterday was disappointing to say the least, but we have endured bigger setbacks and two years ago we would have given proverbial limbs to be in the situation we are now in. Let us not loose sight of how far the club has come under the K’s care.

410viawednesbury
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by 410viawednesbury » 11 Oct 2020, 12:10

In my opinion I don't think it's a squad size problem but more of a formation conundrum. By that I mean players adapting to the managers formation, last season I seem to remember that if the particular formation wasn't working then he'd change it from 352 to 442, therefore
players having to adapt to another system. In this season's squad there are enough square pegs to go into square holes, I just think that it's a patience game and letting the squad settle down, as Mr Smith said yesterday about the season ahead "it's a marathon not a sprint".

dalevillain
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by dalevillain » 11 Oct 2020, 12:45

I didn’t go yesterday so can’t add any value to the match itself but just my thoughts in the aftermath of what happened. I think there was a lot of emotion and also disappointment in the manner of the defeat and also it being to our potential title rivals that things were said in the heat of the moment.

I think it’s just a case of the high expectations we now have and when they fall below that we become critical and that’s because of the brilliant job Paul, the players and the rest of the coaching staff have done since they arrived.

Fair play to Paul for coming on here and answering fans questions. It would have been easy to hide, I know other managers over the years would have so have great respect in him facing the fans yesterday.

There’s still a long way to go and as mentioned we are missing some big players which has got to have some sort of affect. Players like Evans and Bowen certainly who give us some grit and fight when the going gets tough which sounds like we were missing yesterday.

Reminds me of that game several years ago where we were 3-0 up at half time then ended up losing 5-3. Can’t remember who we played now, maybe one of the more ‘senior’ members on here can remind me?!

andy
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by andy » 11 Oct 2020, 13:17

September 2011?
Wimborne 5-4 Halesowen
Proud owner of FOUR Georges O0 O0 O0 O0

andy
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by andy » 11 Oct 2020, 13:18

andy wrote:
11 Oct 2020, 13:17
September 2011?
Wimborne 5-4 Halesowen

4 up that day. Even worse! ;D
Proud owner of FOUR Georges O0 O0 O0 O0

AwayDayYeltz
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by AwayDayYeltz » 11 Oct 2020, 15:29

dalevillain wrote:
11 Oct 2020, 12:45
Reminds me of that game several years ago where we were 3-0 up at half time then ended up losing 5-3. Can’t remember who we played now, maybe one of the more ‘senior’ members on here can remind me?!
That would have been Clevedon. I believe that may have been my first Yeltz game. Certainly one of my first games!
Josh - Keyboard warrior! #UpTheYeltz

AwayDayYeltz
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by AwayDayYeltz » 11 Oct 2020, 15:33

Just reading back on my drunken rants. I feel I've been very harsh with my comments. To say I was disappointed and frustrated is an understatement!

I am still concerned about our performance levels so far this season, with the exception of the two big home wins, we've been underwhelming. However, that could be me having unrealistic expectations on this side, on the back of last seasons success.

It's still very early days in the season, and we all know what this group of players are capable of. It doesn't seem to be clicking for us right now, but I'm certain it will.
Josh - Keyboard warrior! #UpTheYeltz

drummyb
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by drummyb » 11 Oct 2020, 15:37

Ok. So Ive pondered this for a bit so here goes. Obviously a disappointing result. Didnt go but it happens and stinks when youre on the wrong end.

I think maybe we all need to calm down a bit and not get pulled into thinking we're gonna walk this or any league. 11 other players are going to make that impossible each week. Those clubs may not neccessarily have the players we have but they will damn sure fight for every minute. They can play a bit too. There is no walking the league in non-league, unless we get players from the National league/football leagues.

We beat North Leigh midweek with a very good performance. We lost yesterday to a freak second half. We havent become a bad team. Yes there are key players we are missing and some of the newer members havent quite clicked yet. But I trust Paul to get this right and we do have some cracking players, that two seasons ago, would have probably been scoring against us. We wont win every game and while I get the emotions, sometimes its better to stand back and think before talking.

Much respect to Paul for coming on here and Karen for the ticket gesture. I told my Dourbridge fan mate about it and he was gobsmacked. Lets all pull in the same direction. Its still early days.

Josh..they sell pop on match days too ;D